Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
idle fluctuation and engine malfunction errors

Hi People.. First post. I have a 2006 M5 and have been experience an odd issue that I am hoping perhaps someone here can help with. About a month and half ago, I experienced an "Engine Malfunction - Reduced to half power" error. I shut the car off.. waited for a few moments. When I restarted the car it showed an "increased Emissions" alert still. After spending the past month at a BMW dealership, I was told it was a Vanos issue. I had the pump, tensioners, solenoids, etc all replaced. Even after extensive work , the car is still giving me errors.

I have narrowed it down to (at least I think I have) whenever I get gas, it always seems to idle poorly right afterwards. If i drive it out on the highway for awhile, the problem seems to go away and I can once again stop at a red light and the idle stays consistent. But when I have to put gas in the car (half tank, quarter tank , full tank) it rears its ugly head again. I will pull out of a gas station and if I stop I notice the idle spiking up and down and soon as it drops to 500 rpm I get the engine malfunction error. At least now when I restart the car it does not show any errors.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2014, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 07 m5
Yes i got same problem on m5 2007. What to do?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5
Never figured it out
Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: '07 M5 / '14 335i M Sport
I had the same issue and it also caused a few other faults as well, I took it to the dealer and they replaced the throttle valve actuator ($2200.00) and it's back to normal.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramack View Post
Yes i got same problem on m5 2007. What to do?

Yes i had same issue and it was the clutch sensor, clutch, flywheel, around 3800 it cost me