Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Any '11 F10 drivers with ARS driven '12 non ARS sport or msport?

Has anyone with 2011 F10 with ARS driven a 2012 with just sport or Msport with no ARS who can comment on driving difference?
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I will be, probably this week.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I will be, probably this week.
Interested to hear your impressions of body roll in cornering and ride in various modes.

Last edited by bmwarchitect; 10-25-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I think you would really have to push the car into a corner to tell the difference.

On a side note, I test drove the CLS 550. The engine is unreal,but the steering is $hit. Even with all the complaining about EPS, BMW's system is still better than Audi's or Mercs. Haven't driven the Panamera and I won't because I don't want to turn to stone like looking into the eyes of Medusa.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535 X Drive M Sport
Is ARS deleted from the 535 for 2012? I didn't see ARS on the build site (Canada).
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
Is ARS deleted from the 535 for 2012? I didn't see ARS on the build site (Canada).
It's only available on the 550iX, and you have to get the 3900 Dynamic Handling Package to get it. (Canada Specific)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
It's only available on the 550iX, and you have to get the 3900 Dynamic Handling Package to get it. (Canada Specific)
I'm baffled as to why BMW did this. You would think that anything to reduce roll would have a positive impact on handling, which is what these cars are supposed to be about.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
I'm baffled as to why BMW did this. You would think that anything to reduce roll would have a positive impact on handling, which is what these cars are supposed to be about.
We can only guess. Here are a few possibilities I can think of:

1. ARS is a poor match to DDC. While ARS was a perfect match to the passive sport suspension in for example the E60 it could be that the long soft springs used to allow for the three Comfort Modes ( ECO, Comfort+ and Comfort ) makes ARS ill suited to control the car while not cornering. I.e the car becomes floaty without the support of passive roll bars. I think this is Needsdecaf 's guess.

2. ARS is a loss for BMW due to the problems experienced in the F10. The grinding noise has been rather common and the cost of the components and manhours involved to address it are significant. Dynamic drive malfunction has been less common but there has been at least a few commenters here that experienced it. These things could add up to where bmw wants to do some damage control by reducing the number of ARS equipped F10s.

These are just two guesses, both could be wrong.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post

1. ARS is a poor match to DDC. While ARS was a perfect match to the passive sport suspension in for example the E60 it could be that the long soft springs used to allow for the three Comfort Modes ( ECO, Comfort+ and Comfort ) makes ARS ill suited to control the car while not cornering. I.e the car becomes floaty without the support of passive roll bars. I think this is Needsdecaf 's guess.

2. ARS is a loss for BMW due to the problems experienced in the F10. The grinding noise has been rather common and the cost of the components and manhours involved to address it are significant. Dynamic drive malfunction has been less common but there has been at least a few commenters here that experienced it. These things could add up to where bmw wants to do some damage control by reducing the number of ARS equipped F10s.

ARS is still available in the US and Europe across many F10 trims. I think making the ARS a standalone option is just a marketing trick. Look at the US prices for Sport or M Sport packages with ARS option: $6100 and $7300.
Also, ARS grinding was mostly during first year of the production (2010). I do not remember if any member here recently reported ARS problems.
The question is why BMW deleted ARS option for Canada?

2014 550i xDrive, M Sport, Carbon Black, Mocha Nappa Leather/Anthracite, DHP, Executive Pkg , CWP, Lighting, Luxury seating, Side and Top View camera, Sunshades (11/2013 build)

--------------------
2015 X5 xDrive50i (wife)
2012 X5 xDrive50i (retired)
2011 550i xDrive M Sport (retired)
2008 X5 4.8 (retired)
2008 550i M Sport (retired)
2005 545i (retired)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:

Solstice, I welcome your comments in my other thread.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM

I guess if ride quality is good on the 2012 without ARS and the car corners relatively flat, I don't have a problem with it. In Canada, ARS is only available on the 550. Given that the majority of sales appear to be in the 535/528 models, I wonder whether BMW is trying to get buyers to "move up" to get the better features eg. Night vision not available on the 535 in Canada , you have to get a 550. In the end, I guess it doesn't really matter, it is what it is. You either like the 2912 535i or you don't. I guess I'll have to try it.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM

I test drove a 2011 535 xi on Saturday with M Sport but with out the dynamic handling package (which in Canada means no ARS). I think the car set up this way is a bit too much luxury and not enough sport in the cornering department. I'll have to try a 2012 model with Msport to see how the handling compares. If it is tightened up then I would not be unhappy without ARS. If it is the same ...
Old 10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:

Probably not.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
BMW are obviously retards. No intelligent person should ever buy theirs products.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I test drove a 2011 535 xi on Saturday with M Sport but with out the dynamic handling package (which in Canada means no ARS). I think the car set up this way is a bit too much luxury and not enough sport in the cornering department. I'll have to try a 2012 model with Msport to see how the handling compares. If it is tightened up then I would not be unhappy without ARS. If it is the same ...
So in 2011 in Canada, what comes with the MSport package? Just active dampers?

Old 10-31-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So in 2011 in Canada, what comes with the MSport package? Just active dampers?
I'm not sure. the one I drove had the comfort/normal/sport switch. The option monikers have me confused. I thought dynamic drive included ARS. In any event, the 2011 I drove didn't have ARS and the car was a bit sloppy around a curve. not the sharp handling I was expecting.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM

According to the BMW.ca website, MSport comes with no suspension upgrades, and Dynamic Dampers are an option. ARS is not even an option by the looks of it.