Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: M6
BMW 2005 X3 no start fix, vanos seized

A BMW 2005 X3 tow in due to no start. Car turn fine, battery is little weak. 100kkm(60kmiles)

Scan the computer by DIS, no code or what so ever.
Check the battery, bad one, replaced, but still same, crank but no start.
Check the fuel system, no problem, but gas flooded all cylinders, blow dry, then.
Check the spark, all fire beautifully.
To here, I was scatched my head. if it's goes to timing, I have to take the engine apart, which I don't want to. as only vanos and timing chain tensioner will effect the timing that much.

Check the compression with or with out disable the vanos by DIS. the same psi, 90, 30 ,120,120,120,50. min for this engine suppose to 150psi. Had the feeling about stuck vanos gives a wrong timing for no start. These vanos cost more than $1k-1.5K for parts, several housr labor and special tools. Open up the valve cover, anyway I need change the gasket due to leak, holy s**t. all carbon/sludge build up in head, I've never seen a BMW like this. clean up dirty head as much as I can, and blow the hi pressure air into oil feeding port to vanos using a banjo fitting, while activate intake and exhaust vanos solenoid by battery power. At the begining, they won't shift, till pressure went up to 100PSI, then look normal and dirty oil shot out. clean up everything, and put new gasket and new plugs in, fire up perfectly.

Then, let young boys did engine flush, and fuel injection flush, also change the oil, car runs never been better. Ask owner come back in one month do another flush/oil change to prevent vanos seize again.

Last edited by projects; 10-27-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Bmw
thanks for the heads up, never heard of sludge so bad the car wouldnt start!
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X3 3.0i
Projects, thanks for all your help in this and my related thread. I built the banjo tool, walked thru your steps, and must have un-stuck the vanos, as (after using 2 squirts of starting fluid) I was able to start the car, and it seems back-to-normal. Will do a motor flush and oil change tomorrow to be sure.

I owe you one!