Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Smile Looking for a new car...

I am in the market for a new car, hopefully to buy within the next few years. I have done my research and have decided on what I would like to buy. There are only three options. The first one is a Mercedes-Benz S550, I love those cars. They are great looking and very luxurious. Next is a Mercedes-Benz ML350 Edition 10. The last option is a BMW X5 3.0si. I would like to know if the X5 is a good choice or not. I would be using the car to commute to and from school and for just regular errands. The one I am specifically looking at is a 2008 X5 3.0si with 79,500 miles. It's a very beautiful SUV and it's a very good price too. The BMW is $16,800 so it's affordable to me. I know some people would say it's that price for a reason, but from what I can see it's been maintained well. What I would really like to know though is if it's reliable and if it costs a lot of money to maintain it and if it costs a lot of money for parts. I am in no rush to get one, I probably won't even get this exact one, but I am asking these questions because I will most likely be getting a BMW in this model, in this price range and with close to the same mileage. Thanks for any help!
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
There is a reason a car that originally cost $75000 - $90,000 (MB, BMW) will sell for $15000 in 8-10 years:

Repair and manitenance costs dont drop- they still cost you like they are $80k cars!

Dont get confused by "maintenance" which is an oil and filter change here or there and a brake flush or pad/rotor change....the true cost of maintenance is the stuff they breaks and wears out. Bushings, thrust arms, compressor, leaks, leaks, fan motor. fuel pump, window regulator.... god forbid a trans or motor problem.

Unless you are a DIYer, there are better cars for students. IMO
Old 05-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
That specific engine is the N52B30. Its widely used throughout the bmw models years ago. My 07 530i had the same motor. I does have a water pump that needs replaced every 80k miles or so but other than that the N52B30 is a gem. In a z4, 3,5,x3 its a great output motor and very efficient. An X5 on the other hand? Not so much. Its a 5500-6000 pound truck depending on option. There were times I wanted more power in my 3400 pound 5 series (same engine). Reliable? Yes but severely underpowered IMO. I just bought a 2012 X5 35d (diesel). IMO the M57 diesel is one of the best motors on the market: efficient (27-28 mpg hwy) powerful, quiet, and reliable. 2012 was the LCI update for E70 BMW s, and I'll never buy another non LCI bmw. They really get their stuff together. I'm assuming you haven't owned a BMW. I'll tell you I've owned 8, and they all needed maintenance both under and over warranty. If you like to live dangerously, buy one without a warranty. One stop at the shop could run you as little as 200 to as much as 2000 EACH VISIT. Explore your options on a CPO X5, mine was 37k just to give you a reference. I'll also tell you, most people don't get rid of cars that run great and have no issues. I'm sure the x5 youre looking at has MANY. I wish you the best!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
My recommendation:

Buy a beater Civic or Corolla, drive it until you graduate. Drive it after you get your first job, then a year after, search for a more reliable car.

Unless your parents are bankrolling you, the worst financial decision you can make is buying a luxury or performance car while you should be focusing in school and getting a job.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
My recommendation:

Buy a beater Civic or Corolla, drive it until you graduate. Drive it after you get your first job, then a year after, search for a more reliable car.

Unless your parents are bankrolling you, the worst financial decision you can make is buying a luxury or performance car while you should be focusing in school and getting a job.
Isn't it a fact that you are supposed to get a car you like? I honestly think that Civics and Corollas are ugly cars and I really don't like them. It would be a waste of my money to buy something that I don't like. I already have a car so I wouldn't need to buy one anyways. I am a very good student so I don't need to worry about focusing on school and during the summer I will be starting a job. My parents both have very good jobs, but I refuse to take money from them as it will be my car and should be bought with my money.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:05 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlover1 View Post
Isn't it a fact that you are supposed to get a car you like?
Actually, no.

Buy whatever you want. Worst case it bleeds you a bit, or it has to sit for 6 months until you earn enough for a catastrophic repair. Just dont kid yourself on what it CAN cost.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw x5
Quote:
Isn't it a fact that you are supposed to get a car you like? I honestly think that Civics and Corollas are ugly cars and I really don't like them. It would be a waste of my money to buy something that I don't like. I already have a car so I wouldn't need to buy one anyways. I am a very good student so I don't need to worry about focusing on school and during the summer I will be starting a job. My parents both have very good jobs, but I refuse to take money from them as it will be my car and should be bought with my money.
I am 24 years old and I started my own business. When I was a kid I grew up very poor. A Bmw x5 was something id see in a magazine. Now I drive one at 24.... My business is going great, I have met many high end clients. People like dealing with someone who has something to lose. I am not saying the reason my business is succeeding is because of my car, but but it helps.... Specially for someone at my age. People tend to not take us seriously in business because we are young. But a nice car is a great first impression. I'd say go for the S class =) I needed an SUV (SAV as bmw calls it).

Last edited by PitbullBMW; 05-25-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
it's a fact you should save money while you're spending money on school and simply minimize your out of pocket maintenance costs on depreciating assets like cars.

Life is long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor in a few more years. At the end of the day, only you know your financial situation, and the folks on this forum can only offer advice based on our own past experiences. All I have to say is, I was in a similar situation, had tuition paid for, didn't ask money from parents, had a car, summer job/internship...but no where was I in a position (nor did I want to put myself in a position) to buy a used luxury car that would cost me a lot in maintenance and repairs.

All I'm saying is, don't live beyond your means. If you're not contributing to a 401K and Roth IRA, you shouldn't be buying a luxury car... your priorities are in the wrong place. Hell, if you haven't even graduated, you shouldn't be buying a car that can cost you thousands in repairs and maintenance....but what do I know? I'm just a 33 y/o well on his way to a good retirement, $120k+ job, 401k, Roth IRA, investment accounts, house, family....

Last edited by Flying Ace; 05-26-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
it's a fact you should save money while you're spending money on school and simply minimize your out of pocket maintenance costs on depreciating assets like cars.

Life is long enough to enjoy the fruits of your labor in a few more years. At the end of the day, only you now your know financial situation, and the folks on this forum can only offer advice based on our own past experiences. All I have to say is, I was in a similar situation, had tuition paid for, didn't ask money from parents, had a car, summer job/internship...but no where was I in a position (nor did I want to put myself in a position) to buy a used luxury car that would cost me a lot in maintenance and repairs.

All I'm saying is, don't live beyond your means. If you're not contributing to a 401K and Roth IRA, you shouldn't be buying a luxury car... you have your priorities are in the wrong place. Hell, if you haven't even graduated, you shouldn't be buying a car that can cost you thousands in repairs and maintenance....but what do I know? I'm just a 33 y/o well on his way to a good retirement, $120k+ job, 401k, Roth IRA, investment accounts, house, family....
I am not spending any of my money on school. My parents have saved their money for many years so I wouldn't have to pay any money toward school. If I were to get a BMW, I would try to get one with a warranty so those "out of pocket maintenance costs" would hopefully be covered.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I am not spending any of my money on school. My parents have saved their money for many years so I wouldn't have to pay any money toward school. If I were to get a BMW, I would try to get one with a warranty so those "out of pocket maintenance costs" would hopefully be covered.
if this is the case, you'll need a 2011-2013 BMW X5...which is north of $35k with a warranty. I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound right where your parents work and save to pay for your college, but on the other end, you spend $35k+ on a car.

All I'm saying is, just wait, you have the rest of your life to buy a cool car, especially when your finances will be better.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:43 PM

I would not be paying $35000+ on a car. I would try to spend less than $20000. When you say my parents have to work and save, they both have very well paying jobs, so within only maybe two or three years, the money was saved. My grandparents did the exact same thing to my parents, they saved and then sent their children to college. At least in my family, it isn't all that uncommon for the parents to pay for all of their childrens college costs.

Last edited by bimmerlover1; 05-26-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Under $20k, with a credible warranty, will be challenging. Good luck in the search!

While it may seem like a lot of poking into your financial readiness, I do think it's being offered from a constructive perspective. Most on this forum know that the X5's can quickly rack up some lofty repair bills when leaks or faults show up. Can't plan for them, except to have a warranty.
2014 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD
(detect a pattern....we like AWD)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn90 View Post
Under $20k, with a credible warranty, will be challenging. .
this.

that's why I said you'll (OP) be looking in the $35k+ range. I think you're (OP) way over your pay grade here. Do you (OP) even clear $35k in income (W-2/1099/Schedule E) a year?

Ultimately, I think what's being lost in this discussion is, there is no "cheap" BMW. As ARD said, you may be paying $16k for a $60k BMW, but it'll still cost as much to repair and maintain as a $60k BMW. Why else would it cost $16k if not otherwise?

Owners who have early model E70 X5s are spending about $2k in maintenance and repairs cost a year. (at least what I've observed, or been told to stash away for a X5 past 100k miles)

Last edited by Flying Ace; 05-26-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
When you say my parents have to work and save, they both have very well paying jobs, so within only maybe two or three years, the money was saved. My grandparents did the exact same thing to my parents, they saved and then sent their children to college. At least in my family, it isn't all that uncommon for the parents to pay for all of their childrens college costs.
There's nothing wrong with this. Again, I'm lucky enough to have my college paid for in full by my parents as well.

What I'm saying is, just optics-wise, money paid for college on one end and money spent on a luxury car $35k+ on the other end, just doesn't look right.
If this scenario came up with my kid, I would just say, "well, if you can afford a $30k car, then you can afford your own tuition".

I'm sure out in UC Irvine the (University of Chinese Immigrants), there are a ton of kids sporting new MBs and Bimmers, but more power to those parents I suppose. If the family can swing it, why not?

Last edited by Flying Ace; 05-26-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: E83 X3, E70 X5 and F25 X3
^hmm are you an anteater or something??

Yeah, why does a college kid need to buy this type of vehicle?? Just look in family's garage and pick any spare/free vehicle (or buy something quietly lol). Worst case is just hijack the mom's car - she can always get something else
Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx View Post

Yeah, why does a college kid need to buy this type of vehicle?? Just look in family's garage and pick any spare/free vehicle (or buy something quietly lol). Worst case is just hijack the mom's car - she can always get something else
I would hijack my mom's car but she needs it to commute to work every morning. Same thing with my father's. We only have the cars in our garage that we need to have, nothing more.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
YOLO!! Just buy the car. There is something about kids needing a luxury car to show off when they are in college and give rides to chicks in hopes to get some action.

Quote:
My parents both have very good jobs, but I refuse to take money from them as it will be my car and should be bought with my money.
Quote:
I am not spending any of my money on school. My parents have saved their money for many years so I wouldn't have to pay any money toward school.
I find this very contradicting. You could easily use the $20k to pay for college yourself and not take any of the money your parents saved for your college. Yes, this will be your car, but the college is YOUR degree as well. Use the same reasoning for everything, not just a car.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
If you can find one in your price range WITH a long, good quality warranty, then the financial aspects are yours to ponder. (Obviously they're yours to ponder without a warranty, but that'd be like betting on '00' at roulette.)

From a standpoint of expectations, the lowest price X5 on Carmax at the moment is $29.9k for a 2011 X5 35d with 52k miles. They don't sell much older vehicles than that, and I'm sure you can find something older/cheaper elsewhere, but why I'm sharing is to show their warranty costs bcause it's about the only high quality, non-factory warranty you can get instant prices for online. See the attached. Point being, there's a reason they charge $5k+ for an extended warranty...because repairs can be pricey, and more repairs can be expected the older they get. And that doesn't include maintenance; so price out a full brake job, new battery, tires (especially if you get staggered 20in wheels or stick with RFT's), oil changes, sparks plugs, maybe a bushing or shock event since you're looking older, etc, etc.

If you want my advice (if you don't, stop reading).....for someone just starting out in self-sufficient life, go with a more reliable luxury'ish model/brand and get a nice long warranty. Keep financial surprises to a minimum because there will be lots of things to do and save for that your money could go toward beyond something that gets you from point A to point B. But if cars are your thing, and you want something fun and useful like an X5, then please read up on the true costs and know what to expect.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf X5 & Warranty Example.pdf (96.0 KB, 26 views)
2014 Toyota Sienna Ltd AWD
(detect a pattern....we like AWD)
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn90 View Post
If you can find one in your price range WITH a long, good quality warranty, then the financial aspects are yours to ponder. (Obviously they're yours to ponder without a warranty, but that'd be like betting on '00' at roulette.)

From a standpoint of expectations, the lowest price X5 on Carmax at the moment is $29.9k for a 2011 X5 35d with 52k miles. They don't sell much older vehicles than that, and I'm sure you can find something older/cheaper elsewhere, but why I'm sharing is to show their warranty costs bcause it's about the only high quality, non-factory warranty you can get instant prices for online. See the attached. Point being, there's a reason they charge $5k+ for an extended warranty...because repairs can be pricey, and more repairs can be expected the older they get. And that doesn't include maintenance; so price out a full brake job, new battery, tires (especially if you get staggered 20in wheels or stick with RFT's), oil changes, sparks plugs, maybe a bushing or shock event since you're looking older, etc, etc.

If you want my advice (if you don't, stop reading).....for someone just starting out in self-sufficient life, go with a more reliable luxury'ish model/brand and get a nice long warranty. Keep financial surprises to a minimum because there will be lots of things to do and save for that your money could go toward beyond something that gets you from point A to point B. But if cars are your thing, and you want something fun and useful like an X5, then please read up on the true costs and know what to expect.

Good luck!
Good advice. In fact a LOT of good advice given to you by a lot of people who have probably done fairly well for themselves here that would serve anyone well. I think most of us completely understand what its like being your age and wanting a great car. Most of us here are probably gear heads ourselves. I know I always have been.

When I graduated from High School, I bought a 10 year old Mercedes 300 Turbo Diesel. Great car for a lot of reasons but the maintenance costs were incredible. Every time the car went into the shop it was $1000+. Struts, bushings, wheel bearings, A/C problem, etc. Its just a fact of life on a luxury vehicle. This is what they cost. I spent my time WORKING just to pay for the car I was driving. The tail was wagging the dog.

You need to stay in control of your financial situation and not let something else dictate it for you whenever possible. A high end luxury car for someone just starting out in college is going to dictate to YOU what you do with you time and not the other way around.

I know this is hard to swallow when you have girls to impress with your incredible ride while the other kids are driving their Honda's but trust me its better this way.

Last edited by Diesel Don; 05-27-2015 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:

nah, I grew up and went to college in the Midwest. I never seen such a thing 10 years ago...maybe twice...but not to the level currently.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I would hijack my mom's car but she needs it to commute to work every morning. Same thing with my father's. We only have the cars in our garage that we need to have, nothing more.
Oh come on just ask for the mom's car for free. She'll go "yaaay I've been waiting to get another new car!!" and she might thank you for it... and you'll get free car insurance while at it too!! But please don't ask if it happens to be a 10 or 12 mpg premium unleaded guzzler or a 7 seater minivan ha ha.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
nah, I grew up and went to college in the Midwest. I never seen such a thing 10 years ago...maybe twice...but not to the level currently.
oooh I thought you've gotta be a UCI Anteater to know that situation there.
hmmm... wait a minute... isn't it supposed to be USC (University of Spoiled Children) that's the worst ha ha
Old 05-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Oh come on just ask for the mom's car for free. She'll go "yaaay I've been waiting to get another new car!!" and she might thank you for it... and you'll get free car insurance while at it too!! But please don't ask if it happens to be a 10 or 12 mpg premium unleaded guzzler or a 7 seater minivan ha ha.
My mom's car is only 2 years old so I don't think she would give it to me.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:59 PM

hmmm.... 2 years.... yeah that's a problem. Then try the dad's car if he doesn't get mad! Or grandpa's or uncle's car ... some relatives will give it away too, or at a very special half price of whatever today's market value. They normally will not give you cash, but being relatives as nice as they can be, they sometimes will give you their car below the current market price. This is usually the old people's way of indirectly saying "ok you pay half, and I pay the other half". (if you're an accounting/math/engineering major you'll quickly notice they actually paid close to 3/4 of it lol.)

(I actually have long story... our kid in college in southern California took the bimmer from home. We told him if anyone asks just say "it's my mom's car, she lets me drive it, and she wants it back if my grades slip" lol.)
Old 05-27-2015, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
LOL My MUSC doctor daughter is still driving her Y2K South Carolina Civic after shipping it to and practicing 5 years in Maui and moving it to Chicago-land. It is all a matter of priorities, she has reduced her loans by about half and is house shopping.