Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Exclamation 2011 e70 recall for the drive shift

One year ago, made a left hand turn from complete stop, accelerating to 40 MPH? maybe? when I heard an awful crunching noise, I stopped and saw my X5's drive shift dropped down and break my transmission housing, some oil came out. The problem because the front drive shift's u-joint failures.

All X5/X6 built from April 6th November 20th 2010 may have the same problem.

This issue has been recalled in Taiwan, Hongkong and UK.

Anyone has X5/6 which built during this time, I think you need check your drive shift more often. I just want to post this problem, some people already replaced it under or out of warranty which is very expensive. If you have the same issue, please start an NHTSA complaint:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Some link may help:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=733249
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...876&highlight=
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...aft-today.html
http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8990.0

Last edited by Jason Pan; 09-17-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
This is what drive shift looks like. It is from my car, I took it back.( and the transmission)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5W5A4215.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	465031   Click image for larger version

Name:	5W5A4219.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	441.5 KB
ID:	465032   Click image for larger version

Name:	5W5A4214.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	465033   Click image for larger version

Name:	5W5A4213.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	465034  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
The u-joint that failed is it the one on the transfer case or the front differential?

There's this theory going around that it is the result of the a/c drain dripping over the u-joint. My 35d has a solid driveshaft, so no issues, but right where the u-joint would be there's the NOx sensor module which showed initial signs of corrosion. The a/c drain is right above it. I moved it to have it dripping elsewhere.

PS: for what is worth, Land Rover use to be part of the BMW group and they had issues with the front driveshaft as well. In their cases the solid driveshaft (like the one my 35d has) was misaligned causing the front differential to get destroyed. I'd be curios to know if BMW went from solid to articulated for some related reason without realizing the issue that the a/cdrain is right above it
__________________


ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 09-17-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
The u-joint that failed is it the one on the transfer case or the front differential?

There's this theory going around that it is the result of the a/c drain dripping over the u-joint. My 35d has a solid driveshaft, so no issues, but right where the u-joint would be there's the NOx sensor module which showed initial signs of corrosion. The a/c drain is right above it. I moved it to have it dripping elsewhere.
only X5/X6 built from April 6th to November 20th 2010 have this issue, because only those cars are on the recall list in Taiwan, China.

My car built on 11.05.2010
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
From RealOEM it appears the spline shaft part of the drive shaft goes into the transfer case. I bet you is the damn a/c drain. Keeps on pissing on the u-joint... That's messed up.
__________________


ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pan View Post
only X5/X6 built from April 6th to November 20th 2010 have this issue, because only those cars are on the recall list in Taiwan, China.

My car built on 11.05.2010
It appears April 2010 was the production month that the solid driveshaft was replaced the the articulated.
__________________


ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
It appears April 2010 was the production month that the solid driveshaft was replaced the the articulated.
Anyway, I think BMW do recall rather than let this issue go. Many 2011 X5 are out of warranty, it is super expensive***65288;more than 15K with transmission ***65289;if owner fix it by themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pan View Post
Anyway, I think BMW do recall rather than let this issue go. Many 2011 X5 are out of warranty, it is super expensive***65288;more than 15K with transmission ***65289;if owner fix it by themselves.
That's wishful thinking: obviously if BMW issues a racall we are all happy. I'm just trying to figure out why it fails so people can consider solving the underlying cause.

While the former will not be accomplished on a forum, the latter is generally what forums are for.
__________________


ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 AM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pan View Post
This is what drive shift looks like. It is from my car, I took it back.( and the transmission)
Did you do the repair yourself???

What was involved? How difficult? Any pics?
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 AM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
There's this theory going around that it is the result of the a/c drain dripping over the u-joint.
FWIW

I have no particular reason to disbelief this theory, but looking at the failed drive shaft and u-joint, I find it hard to believe that A/C condensate can cause that kind of corrosion ... no matter how caustic or acidic it may be, and I think it's neither. The A/C condensate is no different in composition than atmospheric water that the shaft is exposed to all day long ...

My theory: it appears to be metal fatique, caused by improper design stresses and friction within the u-joint bearings, ultimately shearing the metal bearing wall at it's weakest point ...

BMW has many suppliers of its parts and components: it would be interesting to find out if there was a change in supplier or part number around that time.
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
FWIW



I have no particular reason to disbelief this theory, but looking at the failed drive shaft and u-joint, I find it hard to believe that A/C condensate can cause that kind of corrosion ... no matter how caustic or acidic it may be, and I think it's neither. The A/C condensate is no different in composition than atmospheric water that the shaft is exposed to all day long ...



My theory: it appears to be metal fatique, caused by improper design stresses and friction within the u-joint bearings, ultimately shearing the metal bearing wall at it's weakest point ...



BMW has many suppliers of its parts and components: it would be interesting to find out if there was a change in supplier or part number around that time.

Totally agree with u!



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:40 AM
lpcapital lpcapital is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
We have reports of injectors corroding from water dripping down from the crack engine partition, and multimedia modules in the trunk corroding from water dripping down of sunroof drains (stalactite looking deposits have been reported). ninja_zx11 noticed the TC crossmember corroding because of the a/c drain and when I went there I noticed the same as well as corrosion on the NOx module which is right where that u-joint would be. In my Z3 the rear u-joint on the driveshaft seized while the front was brand new: the rear was exposed while the front one was covered by the heat shield. You guys are severely underestimating the power of water...

Based on the ferrous oxide deposits I tell you that the bearing in the u-joint corroded and seized. As it sized the u-joint broke.

Unless somehow democracy became a car diagnostic tool I haven't seen a convincing argument I'm totally off base...

The argument about the "atmospheric water" is irrelevant: there's moisture in the air we breathe but we can't breathe underwater.
__________________


ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750

Last edited by lpcapital; 09-18-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Did you do the repair yourself???



What was involved? How difficult? Any pics?

I did not repair it, I send it to the dealer. It took about 16days to finish the work, most of the time just waiting for the parts coming


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Jason Pan Jason Pan is offline
Registered User
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
We have reports of injectors corroding from water dripping down from the crack engine partition, and multimedia modules in the trunk corroding from water dripping down of sunroof drains (stalactite looking deposits have been reported). ninja_zx11 noticed the TC crossmember corroding because of the a/c drain and when I went there I noticed the same as well as corrosion on the NOx module which is right where that u-joint would be. In my Z3 the rear u-joint on the driveshaft seized while the front was brand new: the rear was exposed while the front one was covered by the heat shield. You guys are severely underestimating the power of water...

Based on the ferrous oxide deposits I tell you that the bearing in the u-joint corroded and seized. As it sized the u-joint broke.

Unless somehow democracy became a car diagnostic tool I haven't seen a convincing argument I'm totally off base...

The argument about the "atmospheric water" is irrelevant: there's moisture in the air we breathe but we can't breathe underwater.

I agree the water dripping maybe one of the reasons, but from other country's recall, it said they will replace the front driveshaft. If BMW only replace the driveshaft without make the water drop somewhere else, is that mean this issue may happen again?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcapital View Post
We have reports of injectors corroding from water dripping down from the crack engine partition, and multimedia modules in the trunk corroding from water dripping down of sunroof drains (stalactite looking deposits have been reported). ninja_zx11 noticed the TC crossmember corroding because of the a/c drain and when I went there I noticed the same as well as corrosion on the NOx module which is right where that u-joint would be. In my Z3 the rear u-joint on the driveshaft seized while the front was brand new: the rear was exposed while the front one was covered by the heat shield. You guys are severely underestimating the power of water...

Based on the ferrous oxide deposits I tell you that the bearing in the u-joint corroded and seized. As it sized the u-joint broke.

Unless somehow democracy became a car diagnostic tool I haven't seen a convincing argument I'm totally off base...

The argument about the "atmospheric water" is irrelevant: there's moisture in the air we breathe but we can't breathe underwater.
Injectors ... multimedia modules ... Nox modules ... are all electronic devices. Not normally compatible with any type of direct moisture, unless specific precautions were taken such as what is done in the marine industry. Not a good analogy, IMO

Ferrous oxide is the result of a chemical reaction between iron (Fe) and _______ (fill in the blank. This is a teaching moment).

The fact that you can see it on the outside (surface), does not mean it is present on the inside. By design, water and or moisture of any kind would be extremely difficult to penetrate the u-joint where the needle bearings are covered in grease ... At least we agree that the u-joint seized. The question is why, or how. I maintain: metal fatique, caused by improper design stresses and friction within the u-joint bearings ...


" .... there's moisture in the air we breathe but we can't breathe underwater." Duh?

Always a pleasure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	u joint needle bearing.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	465199  
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:34 PM
lpcapital lpcapital is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oceanside, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to lpcapital Send a message via MSN to lpcapital Send a message via Yahoo to lpcapital Send a message via Skype™ to lpcapital
Mein Auto: Wasp & Duc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Pan View Post
I agree the water dripping maybe one of the reasons, but from other country's recall, it said they will replace the front driveshaft. If BMW only replace the driveshaft without make the water drop somewhere else, is that mean this issue may happen again?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
Injectors ... multimedia modules ... Nox modules ... are all electronic devices. Not normally compatible with any type of direct moisture, unless specific precautions were taken such as what is done in the marine industry. Not a good analogy, IMO

Ferrous oxide is the result of a chemical reaction between iron (Fe) and _______ (fill in the blank. This is a teaching moment).

The fact that you can see it on the outside (surface), does not mean it is present on the inside. By design, water and or moisture of any kind would be extremely difficult to penetrate the u-joint where the needle bearings are covered in grease ... At least we agree that the u-joint seized. The question is why, or how. I maintain: metal fatique, caused by improper design stresses and friction within the u-joint bearings ...


" .... there's moisture in the air we breathe but we can't breathe underwater." Duh?

Always a pleasure
Look guys, I'm really not trying to prove I'm right or I'm wrong. I could care less; been around forums long enough to know it's a strenuous exercise in futility.

With that said, my intent is very simple: understand the reason why a driveshaft fails: if we do get an idea as to why, we may all benefit as we can address the issue. In either case, whether is it fatigue, design or corrosion. If it's corrosion you move the water, if it's fatigue or design people may consider removing the shaft and bringing to driveline shop to service before the bearings seize and snaps it.

If it's what you say then fixing the bearing will solve it. If it's what I say it won't.

It all started because I reported reading that that was the result of water dripping down...
__________________


ZetaTre
2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d
2006 Ducati 999S
1999 Ducati Monster 750
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
"Old" BMW Part# 26207597649 is now being replaced with BMW Part# 26208605866 ... but no evidence of any recall.
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Nube1kenobi's Avatar
Nube1kenobi Nube1kenobi is offline
U of Dawgs
Location: The Sound of Zundfolge
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,432
Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
OP: There's a recall for the drive shaft assy... I had mine replaced last week... p/n: 26208605866. It is item #2 on the parts breakdown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	239.png
Views:	42
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	465285  
__________________

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..

Last edited by Nube1kenobi; 09-18-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms