Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:57 AM
superwagon pilot

Send a message via Yahoo to Josh (PA)
Mein Auto: 11 135vert 09 e61 03 e46T
Recommendations for extended warranty?

Hi Guys,

I'm curious from those who have extended warranties what company you went with, how much you paid and what your experience was like.

I'd prefer to not get into the extended warranty companies are out to make money and you're better off banking the money debate. I get it, and I know the risk/reward. I've owned BMWs out of warranty and had great experiences (believe it or not with an e39 M5) and had extended warranties on others that saved me thousands (I paid $2200 for one on my 535xit and it paid out about $7000).

I just bought a 2013 X5 with an n55. It has 44,000 miles and the BMW new car warranty is valid through August. I'll get anything worked out with that before it expires... is it wrong that I'm hoping my water pump dies in the next month?

I did some quotes on extended warranties when i was shopping. USAA (my insurance company) quoted $6,xxx for comprehensive coverage to 100k with no deductible. Allstate was about $4400 for comprehensive at 2yrs/ to 100k (we'll max out miles first). I did some online shopping and saw coss in the $2000 range from places I've never heard of. I may quote BMW extended service as well, but I have a good indy mechanic and would prefer not to be tied to a dealer.

So who has thoughts on who/how much, etc? I am willing to pay a little more to not have to fight to get things paid for.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2017, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive35d
When I took ownership of my 2011 X5D back in July, it came "pre-equipped" with 102k on it.

During financing at my Credit Union, they pulled a quote for Route66 coverage. $1.5k for 36/3, but max payout of $3k over the LIFE of the plan. Pretty silly.

I shopped around some other 3rd party warranties, and couldn't find anything under $4k that looked to be worth the investment. That's basically the amount I keep in my "emergency fund", so it didn't make sense for me to give that to someone else. Instead, I decided that putting a fraction of that warranty cost into maintenance above and beyond what I've ever done on a vehicle was a better investment.

All that being said, a site that seemed to provide a lot of plan options from numerous vendors was Forever Car. They might be worth a check. Just be prepared to get multiple phone calls from them if you get a quote.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i sport
I'd be interested in seeing what options are currently available too. I was looking into the Route 66 warranty but it was discontinued on X5's while I was getting looking into it. I have a 2011 X5 35i with only 38k on it and has been problem free for the 19 months I've had it but reading about some of the costly stories reported here I would feel much better keeping it long term if I had a warranty. The Route 66 policy was only going to cost $2800 at that time, was a great deal that I missed out on. These vehicle are so damn costly to repair compared to vehicles I've owned in the past. I think the most I've had to pay out on non wear and tear repairs in the last 20 years is $600 on my Ford van (electrical issue). These vehicles can smack you with a $2k-$5k repair yearly it seems. I'd be happy to spend $3K for peace of mind for another 5-7 years.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: X5 350D
I went with CARCHEX last year. Picked up the "Titanium Diesel Wrap Plan".

Can't offer any comment on their service and payout (and hope I never need to)
'06 16' Trailer - Porsche Hauler
Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 540iT
"$3K for peace of mind for another 5-7 years."
I am not aware of anyone that sells a meaningful extended warranty for 7 years for $3k.

-) CNA quote I got was $3500 for 3 years/36kmiles
-) Rt66: no longer available, for a good reason
-) Carchex: $4k for 3 years/36kmiles
-) Warranty direct: similar to Carchex
-) Delta Auto Protect: $2500 for 5yrs/60kmiles.

The company with the least amount of legitimate complaints was Rte 66.
Delta looks like a scam based on negative BBB reports, but to be fair many of the complaints seemed to put the owner partly at fault.

Warning: nobody has extended warranty for emissions control systems, and most don't cover safety systems either (eg. passenger seat occupancy sensor failure). BMW has their extended warranty (8/100k, etc.), but at some point we're going to be on our own. I bought an E70 that had all of the BMW updates and almost all of the emissions system replaced due to failures. I'm hoping that the repairs and new parts will help it be more reliable, but I also assume I could end up spending $2-$4k in repairs on the emissions system over the next 3-4 years, and am reading up on all the DIY's as well. Delta, fingers crossed, will cover the other major stuff. I have every single service record on my car from new (1 owner, 1 dealer), and I'm going to service mine via the dealer and by the book so my extended warranty company can't complain that I've not meet their maintenance requirements.

I have made no claims yet, and can't comment on the above companies. I've used Rte66 befere and felt they were very good. They did not pay my local BMW dealer rates ($145/hr), but would pay for my local Indpendent ($90/hr). They wouldn't always pay for new parts, but I consider it reasonable to put a rebuilt part into a car with 90kmiles on the ODO.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:18 AM

Here's what I missed out on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2235.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	587733  
Old 01-25-2017, 10:07 AM

/\.../\.../\.../\

I checked my policy from CARCHEX, got the top of the line coverage for 5 years and 60,000 miles for $3343!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouZ View Post
/\.../\.../\.../\

I checked my policy from CARCHEX, got the top of the line coverage for 5 years and 60,000 miles for $3343!
Well I just talked with a carchex rep and he quoted me 5/61000 for $4980! I could tell he doesn't work for carchex directly, just a broker. Who did you get you policy through and when? Also how many miles were on your X5 when you purchased the policy? The milage factor was a total milage not in addition to what I currently have. Called an "expiration" policy instead of a term policy.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:31 PM

I got it just last Jan. I had 38,960 miles, so it covers till 98,960 miles or 1/21/21.
I played Carchex off of a quote from Rt 66 to lower the cost! Try stating that another member got it a lot less expensive, can't hurt!

Also, I chose Carchex over Rt 66 because they cover more "emission" parts than Rt 66.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 PM

.... I dealt with Susan Johnson out of Baltimore, she was a direct for Carchex. 1-877-227-2439 ext. 1472
Old 01-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
.... I dealt with Susan Johnson out of Baltimore, she was a direct for Carchex. 1-877-227-2439 ext. 1472
Awesome, thank you!
Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM

My x5d has 72k miles. Maybe that's why carchex quote was so much higher than yours (I called them directly) . And it still didn't cover the most expensive potential emissions system failures. So I went with clothe cheapest quote.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I'm curious from those who have extended warranties what company you went with, how much you paid and what your experience was like.
I recommend CNA (do a search on this forum and also see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=cna)

I bought a CNA Preferred Care warranty. It is an exclusionary warranty.

I purchased it from my local Toyota dealer. I have referred several forum members and they all got discounts that made this exclusionary warranty a good deal.

Just last month I had my transfer case replaced .... $4,400!

PM me for contact information.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-25-2017, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: Tundra
Any thoughts on which extended warranty would best suit my situation?

10,500 miles on my 2013 X5d. 4 year factory warranty will expire in May. I expect it to be driven 5,000 miles per year going forward.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
Any thoughts on which extended warranty would best suit my situation?

10,500 miles on my 2013 X5d. 4 year factory warranty will expire in May. I expect it to be driven 5,000 miles per year going forward.
Hard to say.... At 3000 miles a year, 5000 miles a year, you do not have a lot of risk/exposure.

You will be at 20-25k miles when you get to 6 years and most extended warranties will END. Maybe 30k if you find a 7 year warranty...

If you just cannot tolerate the slight chance of problems before 25-30k, buy the BMW gold or platinum plan. 4000-5000 for a 7 year. You will be spending 1500 a year, 30 cents a mile ONLY FOR THE WARRANTY, to protect against a rare 'pre-30k failure'
Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 AM

Strongly suggest you print out and read the CNA contract. I threw it away already but recall it did not cover emissions control equipment. Since CNA doesn't sell direct you have to see an agent. The one I spoke with confirmed with me that the common e70d emissions issues are EXCLUDED from coverage. I made a list of these and asked each warranty company to respond on coverage for this list in writing. The list that I used and that everyone said is NOT covered was: NOX sensor, DEF tank level sensor/injector/pump, DPF, EGR system, catalytic converter, passenger seat occupancy sensor. Therefore these are the things I assume I'll have to fix myself. I still bought a warranty ($0.05 per mile) for the few other known E70 weak areas like the transmission & transfer case, fuel system, turbos, oil cooler, steering system, suspension (self leveling), cooling system, etc.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfeng View Post
Strongly suggest you print out and read the CNA contract. I threw it away already but recall it did not cover emissions control equipment. Since CNA doesn't sell direct you have to see an agent. The one I spoke with confirmed with me that the common e70d emissions issues are EXCLUDED from coverage. I made a list of these and asked each warranty company to respond on coverage for this list in writing. The list that I used and that everyone said is NOT covered was: NOX sensor, DEF tank level sensor/injector/pump, DPF, EGR system, catalytic converter, passenger seat occupancy sensor. Therefore these are the things I assume I'll have to fix myself. I still bought a warranty ($0.05 per mile) for the few other known E70 weak areas like the transmission & transfer case, fuel system, turbos, oil cooler, steering system, suspension (self leveling), cooling system, etc.
I bought a CNA Preferred Care contract for a V8 gasoline engine.

For completeness, I am re-posting my 2016 CNA contract again.

Please read the NON-COVERED Parts. I don't see the NOX sensor, DEF tank level sensor/injector/pump, DPF, EGR system, catalytic converter, passenger seat occupancy sensor listed.

Perhaps the 2017 contract language has been changed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CNA sample contract 2016.pdf (4.80 MB, 22 views)
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-26-2017, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 diesel
Buy a CPO and not face the problem LOL there is barely any warranty for past 100k mi.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I called and left message for Susan. Evidently she has moved up, not selling anymore. She forwarded my contact info to some rookie who after reading from his script for a while quoted me the same $4980. I mentioned your pricing and my old quote from Route66 and he turned me over to his closer Some fast talking, smoke blowing dude. Said Route 66 was bad and their coverage is better than BMW's plan bc they cover worn items, i.e.. replace stuff before it's broken. Good luck trying to get them to do that. In the end he wasn't budging bc their policy was better that everyone else's so there no comparison. We parted way at that.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Carchex does look better than Delta because the cover the EGR valve. I wonder if the non-covered exhaust includes sensors. The excluded seat belt item means no coverage for the occupancy sensor. Too bad you couldn't get the $3600 price. You could try calling again to see if a different agent gives you a diff quote/discount.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post

Please read the NON-COVERED Parts. I don't see the NOX sensor, DEF tank level sensor/injector/pump, DPF, EGR system, catalytic converter, passenger seat occupancy sensor listed.

Arguably, the catalytic converter is listed as NonCovered.... still that has a 8/80 federal warranty
Old 01-27-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Arguably, the catalytic converter is listed as NonCovered.... still that has a 8/80 federal warranty
http://m.carcomplaints.com/BMW/X5/

SCR technology was relatively new in 2003-5, when the E70 was designed. Everyone had problems with this technology, including Ford, GM (trucks), Merc, Audi, etc. since I keep my cars longer (10-15 years, 150-200k miles), I will be outside the 8/80 for a long time. But even at $3k/year in repairs over the next 8 years, it is less than the depreciation on a new $70 X5.
I don't mind not having the latest tech either. But I will never put my kids or wife in a BMW older the 4/50k due to reliability issues.

Fwiw, I'm at the dealer getting an oil change (required by warranty contract), and one of the mechanics who has an E70 diesel said many of the repair parts are of improved design. Not all though (idler pulls bolt is a design flaw that cannot be fixed easily). But his point was many of the reliability problems will be solved after one repair (or recall/ warranty work).

Cost is $109 for just oil/filter or $350!!! if they refill the DEf tanks. Mechanic said get the fluid at a VW dealer and use a cut-off 1.8 liter bottle as a funnel. I asked if the BMW def is special and he said no, but the oil is a specific type.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Mechanic said get the fluid at a VW dealer and use a cut-off 1.8 liter bottle as a funnel. I asked if the BMW def is special and he said no, but the oil is a specific type.
That is an obscene cost for DEF fill. Nice to be able to chat with the tech....

Why a VW dealer?!?! Get it ANYWHERE. Prestone DEF, Blue Whatever DEF... All DEF is equal.

Odd that your warranty contract is that specific about WHO does the oil change. 99% of the time a receipt for oil and filters is all that is needed.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:59 AM

Yes I can prob go anywhere for the O change (I normally o it
Myself). But the dealer is actually not that bad $100. And it eliminates any potential hassle should I have an engine warranty claim I the future.
It's only $100/year (0.04 more a mile than doing it at home).

I'll probably also do the "inspections" for $300 and $500 at the dealer, but all non-DIY servicing at my Indy (drivetrain and brake fluid flushes). Have both a vac and pressure bleed system, but don't mind paying the Indy so I have more time to work on my old cars (Alfa, Jag, E9, Lotus, Elva).
Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes I can prob go anywhere for the O change (I normally o it
Myself). But the dealer is actually not that bad $100. And it eliminates any potential hassle should I have an engine warranty claim I the future.
It's only $100/year (0.04 more a mile than doing it at home).

I'll probably also do the "inspections" for $300 and $500 at the dealer, but all non-DIY servicing at my Indy (drivetrain and brake fluid flushes). Have both a vac and pressure bleed system, but don't mind paying the Indy so I have more time to work on my old cars (Alfa, Jag, E9, Lotus, Elva).
Ah, with that list your car time is fully booked....

What "inspections"? Didnt that stop with the new CBS stuff? Or is your dealer still shoveling that crap?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search