Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Trailer hitch

Hi, i'm new in this forum since i have just bought me a 2011 X5 30d.
A very satisfied owner so far and i have read A LOT of interesting stuff on Bimmerfest.

I need to install a trailer hitch and the local BMW dealer says i have to change radiator fan because the car is'nt prepared for towing!!!

Anyone has any experience with this?
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Never heard of this before.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Haha that's funny. At the dealer it will run you 1500ish. Considering its a "30d" I'm assuming you're in the UK?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:18 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
I need to install a trailer hitch and the local BMW dealer says i have to change radiator fan because the car is'nt prepared for towing!!!
Where are you located? What country?

Open your hood and take a picture of the front of the engine and share the VIN on this forum.

Dealers will tell you anything to take your money ... especially when you appear to them as clueless.

Don't trust dealers. Go to them for warranty and recall work and nothing else ... unless your are dating the SA because she is a beautiful blond.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto:
I am located in Norway and the VIN is L431793.

There is in fact a fan mounted but could it have with maximum towing weight? I know this model comes with an option called enhanced towing capability S233A...
Old 05-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
I am located in Norway and the VIN is L431793.

There is in fact a fan mounted but could it have with maximum towing weight? I know this model comes with an option called enhanced towing capability S233A...
Google is your friend: "enhanced towing capability S233A" -
http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=998052
BMWCCA #20645
Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Well, they say you learn something new every day... I was aware that the enhanced towing capability (S233A option) would add the rear air suspension to your build if you were not already getting that particular suspension via the 3rd-row seating option. However, it looks like in the case of the Euro-only 30d, S232A also adds a new cooler (a transmission cooler?) -- but not a new fan as the OP's dealer suggested.

All of the above is only applicable if you intend to tow heavy. If you are going to stay under 2200kg, no enhanced towing capability is needed. The stock 30d is already capable of such tow loads without needing to be "enhanced."
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci convertible
I'm in Canada. Dealer quoted me $2,600 installed for a hitch. All taxes in. This is the type where they need to remove the bumper to install. I'm sure there are other types which mount under the vehicle which are considerably cheaper.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Ouch. $2,600 is harsh.

Actually, I know of no hitch for the E70 that doesn't require removal of the bumper cover for installation. Even so, the most expensive option (the invisihitch with OEM wiring harness) should cost you about half of that price, including installation and vehicle reprogramming. There are less expensive alternatives -- from us as well as from others -- if you are willing to use a non-OEM wiring solution.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Old 05-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
Well, they say you learn something new every day... I was aware that the enhanced towing capability (S233A option) would add the rear air suspension to your build if you were not already getting that particular suspension via the 3rd-row seating option. However, it looks like in the case of the Euro-only 30d, S232A also adds a new cooler (a transmission cooler?) -- but not a new fan as the OP's dealer suggested.

All of the above is only applicable if you intend to tow heavy. If you are going to stay under 2200kg, no enhanced towing capability is needed. The stock 30d is already capable of such tow loads without needing to be "enhanced."

Bumper cover and reinforcement need to come off no mater what. It's a 30 min job max to remove the bumper, much less if you know what you're doing.
Shop around, search this site a there are plenty of thread on hitch install.

I went with OEM hitch and wiring harness cuz it was priced OK after searching and using BMW CCA discount, then oversaw install and code at indy who had never done one with resources from here.

I feel better with OE setup cuz no wire splicing. Given my job, I am also hoping the OE trailer hitch passed some sort of collision testing compared to non OE alternatives. It probably didn't but it certainly is a hefty piece and it does not seem to change the position of the parts that matter in a collision. The drawback is it necessitates cutting the lower trim piece, but I care more about retaining rear collision performance than the visible hitch.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi again, and thanks for helpful posts!
I had a discussion with the dealer and his "system" has a checkpoint before mounting trailer hitch, that depend on if the car has code SA823A, if not - then bigger radiator fan rated 850w. But according to my knowledge the code SA823 indicates a hot climate version - which Norway certainly not is!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
certainly not is!

P.S. Just found it funny, no hard feelings.