Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 z3
Z3 P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A circuit

i have a 2001 Z3 with the 3.0. It runs/idles rough when first started, after it warms up it smoothes out but still feels like there is a slight miss to the engine. I replaced the plugs thinking it probably just needed a tune up but that didnt resolve the issue. I hooked it up to a code reader that gave me the P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit code, i replaced the Crankshaft Position sensor and cleared the code but it still did not fix the issue and have the same code. What i was wondering is, does the CAMshaft sensor throw the exact same code or a differant one all together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM

i unplugged the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the car runs the same, i assume its a wiring issue but holy crap i got no idea how to check the wiring, i looked where they go into the wiring harness and it just looks like a big bowl of colored speghetti...
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 AM

i also have the warning light thats a exclamation point inside a triangle with the round arrow around it and the brake light warning light on. i didnt think they were related but after reading some other posts maybe so....
Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330i
Hey there dwifenderbender,

I'm wondering if you resolved your P0335 error code issue? I'm having similar symptoms and after replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor the car is still not starting. Or when it does, it idles rough and shuts off. Could you please share your experience?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 2.8
Fix the camshaft position sensor for free!

Im not real sure if this fix will work for a CRANCKshaft position sensor (P0335), but it did work for a CAMshaft position sensor (P0340).

I recently had the CEL on and the code came back as a camshaft position sensor (CPS). I ordered a new one on ebay (not OEM) and replace the bad one. I cleared the code via OBD. The CEL came back on the very next morning.

I tried clearing the code again and noticed that the OBD scanner always came back with two codes, both P0340. I could clear one code with the scanner and the CEL would turn off, but it alway showed the "one code remaining". The CEL would come back on the very next time I would drive it.

I decided to send the new part back and just stick the old one back in so that I could at least drive the car. Before I did, I wanted to check out what might be wrong with the old CPS. I pealed back the rubber boot to expose the wires going to the electrical receptacle and couldn't believe my eyes. The colored insulation shielding on all three wires had completely dried up and flaked off. All three wires were touching each other. I separated the wires and used a hot glue gun to insulate the wires from each other. I then re-seated the rubber boot back on the receptacle and reinstalled the old part. Both codes cleared and the CEL light hasn't come back on since.

It's been over a month since I did this repair. The ebay store took their part back and I got a full refund. I would say that you might be able to do this fix without taking the part off of the car and simply disconnecting the receptacle and pulling it out so you can work on it with the sensor end still connected.

I'm not sure what a dealer might charge to do this repair but surely he wouldn't fix it for free. Let me know if anyone has any success with this.

Last edited by Hornedfrog1969; 02-28-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: wrong error code
Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Noone Special

Mein Auto: 02 e46 325 xi
bump.......anyone resolve the p0335 code??

E9 One Day It Will Be Mine
Old 11-10-2012, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: '97 Z3
I found the same issue with the wires from the the camshaft sensor. I have never seen wire insulation in that shape before. I replaced the sensor now it will not crank. Will try to insulate the wires and replace the old sensor. Man what is the cause of this. It seems like the wires are just baking to the point they are destroying the insulation.
The code it is showing is po335 which is crankshaft sensor. I will also replace that one. ic