Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 1 Series
Unhappy BMW 1 Series - Warning Lights - help!

Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice

I recently aquired a BMW 1 Series (56 plate) 116i

We have had the car just over a week and have came across an issue

My wife was driving the car then noticed a sudden juddering and loss of power she noticed the check engine light come on along with an exclamation mark with a arrow round it and a yellow hand brake type light.

She was unable to continue her journey due to the extreme loss of power and the car would not start after 3 attempts

I then got her via a taxi and was able to start the car and drive off fine I had the AA attend the scene and they ran diagnostics but there was no fault stored according to the AA chap.

I have now done around 100 miles since this issue and have had no problems at all

I spoke with the dealer i got the car from and they are willing to look at it as it is still under warranty

My question is does anyone know what this may have been? I have had coils and things go on previous cars but usually the reoccur could it be a simple glitch seems a bit extreme if so? and should i get them to take a look at the car or hold off and see if it happens again?

Its a low mileage example having just hit 23k but any help would be much appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 135i
Read the manual, it should give some indication of what the light is. The dealership should also be able to provide a detailed print out of what the system indicates. I can't say from knowledge but it sounds like either the battery or alternator. Car runs off the battery when turned off (suggesting the trouble starting) and off the alternator while running (suggesting the trouble while driving and loss of power). If I get this right I will be surprised. I only know this because I've had an alternator go out on my 80s BMW and I had the same problems.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: 118i E87 (2005)
Hey,

I would recon its the EECentric shaft / Vanos played up........

good luck