Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
I'm having some Alpine SPR-50C's installed in my front doors on Wednesday. Should sound a little better than the stock stuff.
If you get the chance, ask them if the connector board (speakers are connected to it) located inside the door panel is a simple pass-through OR does it contain crossovers for the speakers.

When the panel is off you can see the top of the board with speaker and some other connectors plugged into the top of it. I am curious as to what is on the bottom side which may simply be connectors that lead to the OEM amp.

Is the OEM amp truly a ten channel amp with built in crossovers OR are the crossovers located on the bottom side of the connector board located inside of the door panels, or both?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
I think I already know the answer but I will verify my thoughts once the door cards come off.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Stupid question, but why can't you just swap out the speakers using the factory wiring? The connectors are similar, I'm sure I'm missing something but its worked in my 3 series and in any of my other cars. I have the dsp system and want to upgrade my front doors with the sc50 speakers. Actually I have ordered them ready...
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
Stupid question, but why can't you just swap out the speakers using the factory wiring? The connectors are similar, I'm sure I'm missing something but its worked in my 3 series and in any of my other cars. I have the dsp system and want to upgrade my front doors with the sc50 speakers. Actually I have ordered them ready...
I used all the factory wiring when I installed the SC50's front and rear.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Joel

Mein Auto: E39
Are the DSP speakers the same? If replaced with BSW speakers is there a big noticeable difference in quality of sound. BSW also advertises a subwoofer. Has anyone installed this? Comments?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Slip slidin around town

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
I used all the factory wiring when I installed the SC50's front and rear.
That's music to my ears. Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

Joelgk - you'll have to search to see if anyone has used the BSW subwoofer for the E39's - I'm sure there's a few who've posted up about it. The general thing is that many owners will have used better subwoofers and speakers and amplifiers compared to the BSW's offering in terms of money spent and products specifications/capabilities. As for the DSP speakers, if you haven't got DSP in your car, it's a big job to retrofit all the oem stuff needed for it. The speaker drivers themselves are different to non DSP setups as well. Overall sound from the DSP is mediocre in many owners views. Some don't mind it but almost all of those who say that also mention they're not too interested in musicality or sound quality as well i.e just want something to listen to. You will get much better sound quality if you use aftermarket speakers and amplifiers etc. If your car has a non DSP setup, and you get the BSW upgrade, then yes, you will notice a significant increase in quality as they make the best of the 'feeble' oem amplifier RMS power output, but they are quite 'expensive' overall.

Nline6 - as above, you can use the oem wiring if you wish. I've always used higher grade specific speaker cable in all of my car hifi installs. Not talking the expensive stuff, just usual upgraded speaker automotive speaker cabling.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Slip slidin around town

Thanks Dennis, I will probably just use new connecters and the factory wires. I beleive that re wiring will be more trouble then its worth? I could be wrong, But I am looking to keep the swap simple. I cant much hear the rear speakers anyway so I am leaving them be for now. Thanks for the quick reply guys.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM
BadBrad

Mein Auto: 2003 540iA M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
Thanks Dennis, I will probably just use new connecters and the factory wires. I beleive that re wiring will be more trouble then its worth? I could be wrong, But I am looking to keep the swap simple. I cant much hear the rear speakers anyway so I am leaving them be for now. Thanks for the quick reply guys.
You will notice the difference. You can also use the connectors on the speaker wiring in your car. You'll just have to use a flat screw driver to expand the connectors to fit the new SC50s. A word of advice....go to the dealer and get a half dozen plastic door panel clips. You'll undoubtedly crush a couple of them putting the panels back on.

Check these links out ..................

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=speakers

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...light=speakers

http://retro.nextmill.net/bmw540/fronts.htm
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Joel

Mein Auto: E39
Mine is fitted with OE DSP system, so will also check out after market speakers. The sound quality is mediocre and need an upgrade. Need to know exact sizes though when I go shopping for better quality speakers.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i ///MSport
Very Informative thread here, thanks for the info!
Old 02-27-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525I
Additional wiring information.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000 BMW 5-series (audio).pdf (88.6 KB, 74 views)
File Type: pdf 2000 BMW 5-series (wiring info).pdf (506.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: pdf 2000 BMW 5-series.pdf (87.8 KB, 47 views)