Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-31-2011, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
F30 or F10, which is better?

After looking at the spec and price of the new 3 I started to wonder whether it would be a better car than the 5 if maximum rear space isn't necessary. It's got lots of plus points over the 5 namely weight which benefits both speed and economy as well as handling.

I bet this car will steal sales from not only thee A4 and C-class but the 5 series too.
Ads by Google
Old 10-31-2011, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi,

As you've taken one of the major areas of difference between a 3 series and 5 series, you are essentially left with the same car! that said though, throughout the two models past versions, the 5 series has always been a more comfortable ride and better built machine. The 3 series has to have more areas of compromise in order to bring pricing levels down. Nowadays, the differences are much smaller of course, as buyers of smaller cars have the filter down effect happen and their 'smaller' cars become more luxurious and refined. Weight and economy and handling between the two series is also much smaller of a margin these days and an F30 I daresay overall is like an E34 in terms of physical size nowadays. With modern technology and of course BMW's know how, the 5 series does shrink around you. So plus points for either a 3 or 5 .. for me, it's always going to be a 5 series

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM

At the moment I don't know whether adaptive suspension will be offered on the 3 but if it is then refinement shouldn't be much different, as for which is built better well frankly I doubt we will be able to tell that from the driver or passenger seat though there might be cost cutting compared to the 5 is in the choice of materials inside the cabin, from the press picture it looks decent enough but without actually running a hand over it and playing with the buttons I can't say for sure if it's much worse if at all.

You reckon the handling of the 5 is good which it is of course considering it's increase in weight over the last model but compared to the 3 the weight difference is considerable when you look at it; for example with the 328i vs 528i there's 400lbs and no amount of trick suspension or fancy tyres can regain that feeling of lightness and responsiveness.

The odd thing is that unlike the 5 where I wouldn't have considered anything below the 535i in this I find myself preferring the smaller 328i, it's preformance is more than enough and the benefits at the pump and it's sheer value for money compared to the 335i make even the 3.0 diesel seem obsolete.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
After looking at the spec and price of the new 3 I started to wonder whether it would be a better car than the 5 if maximum rear space isn't necessary. It's got lots of plus points over the 5 namely weight which benefits both speed and economy as well as handling.

I bet this car will steal sales from not only thee A4 and C-class but the 5 series too.
Doubtful, IMO. Two totally distinct market segments. 3-series is the "ultimate" entry-level sport sedan, while the 5 is executive-level luxury sport sedan. The 3 will steal sales from the 5 only as a C does from an E. Those who want the sportiest ride may choose the smaller, more nimble car. Those who want more luxury in a sport-oriented sedan will choose the 5. If you've driven both (at least the E90 example of the 3), you'll see they are two totally different feeling cars.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
You just said in your post "Economy" that mean 3 is way to go for you
Old 10-31-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
You just said in your post "Economy" that mean 3 is way to go for you
After holidaying in the states on several occasions I do understand that economy has little bearing on your decisions but over here when fuel is at over 1.40 ($2.20) per litre it doesn't hold some importance. If there is one area where us as a forum don't always see eye to eye it's this but I am sure it's only a matter of time when you too will look at this whole aspect in a different light.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 AM
BMW Freak

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Doubtful, IMO. Two totally distinct market segments. 3-series is the "ultimate" entry-level sport sedan, while the 5 is executive-level luxury sport sedan. The 3 will steal sales from the 5 only as a C does from an E. Those who want the sportiest ride may choose the smaller, more nimble car. Those who want more luxury in a sport-oriented sedan will choose the 5. If you've driven both (at least the E90 example of the 3), you'll see they are two totally different feeling cars.
+1

2011 535i (07/2011 build) Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, ZSP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, 2TB, 6NF, 6NR.

Retired: 2009 328i,Titanium Silver, Black Interior, Dark Wood Trim, ZPP, ZLP, 609, 494, AAW Tune.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:41 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBigMan View Post
After holidaying in the states on several occasions I do understand that economy has little bearing on your decisions but over here when fuel is at over 1.40 ($2.20) per litre it doesn't hold some importance. If there is one area where us as a forum don't always see eye to eye it's this but I am sure it's only a matter of time when you too will look at this whole aspect in a different light.
Interestingly the new F10 I believe is rated with higher fuel economy than the older E90. At least that is my real world experience as we one of each in the garage.

The new F30 4cyl promises to be quite a fuel economy and performance winner when paired with the 8 sp trans and gets all the "efficient dynamics" treatment. I read it does not add weight from the E90 model an in fact may have shed a pound or two.

Please do continue "holidaying" in the states as we need the forex spending to prop up our growing government spending dependent folks.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)