Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-31-2011, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: Explorer
Sport auto transmission option for 2012 535i

Does sport auto transmission option for 535i have any effect on steering and/or suspension on a car with M-Sport package. I have asked 3 different CAs and everybody say something different. Some say it only adds paddle shifters, some say it also affects gear shifting and some say all of the above plus a tighter steering and suspension. Does anyone know for sure? I would like to know for sure. If it's just the paddle shifters i wouldn't order the option, but if its more than that then maybe it would have some value for me. Appreciate any advise. Do you recommend it and why?

Last edited by ManUTD_36; 10-31-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUTD_36 View Post
Does sport auto transmission option for 535i have any effect on steering and/or suspension on a car with M-Sport package. I have asked 3 different CAs and everybody say something different. Some say it only adds paddle shifters, some say it also affects gear shifting and some say all of the above plus a tighter steering and suspension. Does anyone know for sure? I would like to know for sure. If it's just the paddle shifters i wouldn't order the option, but if its more than that then maybe it would have some value for me. Appreciate any advise. Do you recommend it and why?
Search the forum, for the 2011 cars this has been widely commentated.
I would get the SAT and not just for the peddles!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Search the forum, for the 2011 cars this has been widely commentated.
I would get the SAT and not just for the peddles!
.....and for 2012 it's totally different so why bring that up?

To answer the question, SAT also has a much nicer (IMO) gear shifter, shifts faster in D then the base transmission. That's the only difference in a 2012 car since in 2012 everyone has the driving dynamics buttons, so there's no benefit there, unlike 2011 units. Driving dynamics It will not affect suspension. That's only when you order Sport or MSport.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-01-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: Explorer
Needsdecaf - thanks for the response. Does ****ing gears faster will be a permanent change or something in certain settings? Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain why shifting faster is better and also does this mean that the RPM's would be lower since it shifts faster and stays in lower gears less time? Is that why it is smoother? Did i get this right?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo S80 T6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

To answer the question, SAT also has a much nicer (IMO) gear shifter, shifts faster in D then the base transmission. That's the only difference in a 2012 car since in 2012 everyone has the driving dynamics buttons, so there's no benefit there, unlike 2011 units. Driving dynamics It will not affect suspension. That's only when you order Sport or MSport.
Forgive me, but still not clear for a BMW newbie like me.

I am preparing to order 2012 535ix (or 550ix) with Sport package (wife does not like the look of MSport, I need to comply ). From the downloadable brochure I understand that EVERY xDrive comes with "8-speed Steptronic automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes and Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC). I further read that there is an option to add "8-speed Sport Automatic transmission with Sport and Manual shift modes and steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters (requires Sport Package or M Sport Package. So, I figure that in my case (Sport package) both have 8-speed and Sport and Manual Shift modes.

Questions:

1. Is Sport Automatic transmission (SAT) still Steptronic and has ATC?

2. Is it correct to say that SAT only adds the paddle shifters on the wheel without affecting gear shifting, steering and suspension. (This is the original question from manUTD which, I think, was not clearly answered.)

3. And finally, most important for me (that's where I am "shifting to") - If I am NOT to take SAT with "steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters", will I have (a) the knob to the right of the driver (to the left of the gear shifter) to change modes (from SPORT to COMFORT to COMFORT +, etc) and (b) the ability to shift gear manually (to this last I can probably answer yes myself, but only by using the gear shifter on the panel)?.

Thank you in advance for your time to answer these. The BMW site and their brochure are, shall we say "conveniently," silent on details, and dealers are not always helpful (as their main goal is to have you have more for the obvious reason.) or knowledgeable.

Last edited by Victon; 11-01-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUTD_36 View Post
Needsdecaf - thanks for the response. Does ****ing gears faster will be a permanent change or something in certain settings? Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain why shifting faster is better and also does this mean that the RPM's would be lower since it shifts faster and stays in lower gears less time? Is that why it is smoother? Did i get this right?
I don't have enough seat time in a 2TB equipped car but from my handful of drives, the shift time is decreased and it's ever so slightly less smooth. A bit more sporty, more toward a DSG-style of shift.

It has nothing to do with RPM or actual shift points. Those seem to be pretty much the same. it's simply a matter of shift speed. While the base transmission seems to slur it's shifts a bit more in the name of comfort, the 2TB transmission snaps off shifts a little quicker in D.

In Sport, both shift faster still. But also the shift points are raised, gears are hung on to during off throttle overrun, etc.

Hope this clears it up.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Are my questions (posted at 9:01 am) so silly or have been answered in the past or can be found in-between the lines (but I still do not have the picture)? Anyone, please? A yes or no mode will suffice.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victon View Post

1. Is Sport Automatic transmission (SAT) still Steptronic and has ATC?
Yes.

Quote:
F
2. Is it correct to say that SAT only adds the paddle shifters on the wheel without affecting gear shifting, steering and suspension. (This is the original question from manUTD which, I think, was not clearly answered.)
Not sure why this wasn't clearly answered.

Affects gear shifting.
Affects steering when in sport and sport plus- but both automatics work in the same way in this regard.
Does not affect suspension.

Quote:
3. And finally, most important for me (that's where I am "shifting to") - If I am NOT to take SAT with "steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters", will I have (a) the knob to the right of the driver (to the left of the gear shifter) to change modes (from SPORT to COMFORT to COMFORT +, etc) and (b) the ability to shift gear manually (to this last I can probably answer yes myself, but only by using the gear shifter on the panel)?.
a. Yes, you will have the Driving Dynamic Control buttons.
b. Yes, you can shift manually yourself using the lever.

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-01-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Excuse me bro, but what differences have you mentioned that aren't in the threads of half a year ago?

Get SAT.
It is worth the money and it is not about the peddles.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Excuse me bro, but what differences have you mentioned that aren't in the threads of half a year ago?

Get SAT.
It is worth the money and it is not about the peddles.
The difference is the fact that in 2012 everone gets "the buttons" regardless of transmission. Whereas in 2012, you only got "the buttons" if you had DHP or the 2TB transmission.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Hah, but you do not take the SAT for the peddles and not for the buttons neither.
So it is best to answer the OP's question by telling him to get the SAT, just for the SAT's sake.
And that there is a lot of info about chosing SAT on this forum, which is readily available by doing a search.
I think a half year ago you offered allready a ton of info about the subject, so it seems quite purposeless to do that all over again.....

Now talking about the good old times, did you allready find the correlation between the raised left cupholder and the DOT?

Last edited by Sophisto; 11-01-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Not sure why this wasn't clearly answered.

Affects gear shifting.
Affects steering when in sport and sport plus- but both automatics work in the same way in this regard.
Does not affect suspension.

a. Yes, you will have the Driving Dynamic Control buttons.
b. Yes, you can shift manually yourself using the lever.

Much apprecaited.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM

Read the thread Sport Auto Transmission of 4-5-2011.
And please when ordered, inform us what transmission you have chosen.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Read the thread Sport Auto Transmission of 4-5-2011.
And please when ordered, inform us what transmission you have chosen.
I will. But at this point I do not see much practical benefit in having SAT, at least for me. For 2011 cars the decision would have been different.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The difference is the fact that in 2012 everone gets "the buttons" regardless of transmission. Whereas in 2012, you only got "the buttons" if you had DHP or the 2TB transmission.
You mean in 2011?

Last edited by Victon; 11-01-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Yes needs meant 2011