Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
15 and 20mm spacers, stock wheels, no rubbing

So i'm finally getting around to posting info on my road to lowering. All of my reading up to this point indicated that 12mm was the max you could do, i found that to be wrong.

I measured the space btw the fender and the edge of the rim and decided to get a set of 20mm and 15mm spacers. I figured if 20 was too much, i could swap it for the 15mm's and then not run spacers up front, and if i wanted to go wider, i could swap the 20's for 25's.

I got the 20's mounted to the rear and the 15's up front and the fit was perfectly flush. The only time it rubbed in the rear was if i hit a large bump at high speed and i had my windows up and my music turned all the way down, i could hear the slightest rub in the rear, nothing up front.

I have photos of my car on OEM sport wheels, OEM M6 wheels, and aftermarket wheels

First up is the full OEM setup
OEM offsets are +14mm all around 8.5 inches wide front, and 9 inches wide rear. With spacers installed, my effective offsets become -1 in the front and -6 in the rear.

Next up is the OEM m6 setup

Factory offsets are +12 and +17 Front widths are the same as OEM Rears are 9.5.
These rear tires are 285's as opposed to the Stock 275's, their curvature is also different due to them being a different brand. End result is the same, No rubbing.

Lastly, i have my aftermarket setup.These are 20 inch wheels The front wheels are 9 inches wide and the rears are 10.5. The offsets are +15mm front and +25mm in the rear. With the spacers, me effective offsets are 0 in the front and +5 in the rear. This width/offset combo is slightly more aggressive and the wheels seem to sit slightly wider than the other 2 setups. After much research, i went with the tire sizes 245/35/20 in the front ans 275/30/20 in the rear. This gives me an almost identical total diameter to OEM. Surprisingly, these are also the same tire sizes on the 6 series grand coupe. I was going for a slight but of a stretch to prevent rubbing, however these tires are not stretching, and at stock height, there is no rubbing.

I didn't have much grasp on how offsets and such worked, but i have a much better understanding. To put it in simple terms, A 9 inch, 9.5 inch, and 10.5 inch wheel will all sit the same distance from the fender because the offset compensates for the width.

After all of this, i went and has my fenders shaved because coil overs were on the way, Time to get low! Look for part 2

Last edited by BMW_Stu; 06-29-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2015, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Nice write up.

What size spacers were used on the first photo?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Camaro, soon to have BMW
all photos show 15mm up front and 20mm rear. I didnt take any good shots of the front, but it's as flush as the rear.