Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 325
X3 Overheating

2007 X3 6spd man 63,000 miles...intermittent overheating. never lost coolant-level is fine. changed thermostat and ran fine for a day or two, now intermittent overheating again. i know it will overheat before the engine temp goes up because the heater wont blow hot or warm air. can a water pump fail intermittently? thought it might be the guage but the car ran slugish when temp guage was close to the red. it pulled a code P0597- thermostat heater control circuit open. any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? Unless you got a bad thermostat it kind of sounds like a head or headgasket is slightly leaking and causing the temp to go up by letting the combustion gases into the coolant. Had a very similar problem in a MB 180Db -- would run just fine then all of a sudden would overheat. I would cool it down, add water (didn't want to waste coolant) then it was good to go for another week. Turned out to be a crack in the head that would open up at certain temps/engine load then close up and everything was fine. I didn't have any white smoke, or if there was it was hard to see among the diesel smoke.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Also you could have air in the system

If you recently added coolant or someone else did air pockets as I understand it can get trapped in the system and cause issues. There is a procedure to bleed the air out although I would think it would work itself out on its own. Someone else here might be able to expand upon this.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw90325 View Post
... can a water pump fail intermittently?
I think your 2007 has an electric water pump, so an intermittent fault is more likely than with a mechanical one.

However, given your observation about no warmth in the heater, I too would try bleeding air out of the system first.

That cooling system has a relatively large capacity, so more susceptible to trapped air I imagine.

Other than that, and if that P code is meaningful, does the thermostat itself have to be oriented in a particular direction in the housing?
Some BMW T-stats have an arrow on them that must be pointing up.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM

No white smoke out of the exhaust so don't think it's a head gasket.

I had this problem with the no heat inside cabin and overheating before I changed the thermostat hoping that would fix it. And I didn't bleed the coolant system and didn't find a bleeder screw...anyone know where it's located?

And wouldn't the water pump leak if it was defective?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Quote:
2007 X3 6spd man 63,000 miles...intermittent overheating. never lost coolant-level is fine. changed thermostat and ran fine for a day or two, now intermittent overheating again. i know it will overheat before the engine temp goes up because the heater wont blow hot or warm air. can a water pump fail intermittently? thought it might be the guage but the car ran slugish when temp guage was close to the red. it pulled a code P0597- thermostat heater control circuit open. any suggestions?
wow.... i had the exact same problem at around 60,000 miles. Coolant levels were fine, and car temp would go up if i drove for a while and idled in traffic..... If i sped up on the highway, the level would go back down... the thermostat was fine.

Turned out to be a bad fan... I went to my dealership and even though it was out of warranty, I read on bimmerfest that there is some BMW SIB that allows good faith repairs out of warranty to increase customer satisfaction... anyways I mentioned this and they did the repair for free...

i would definitely look into that. but it sounds like a bad fan... I had the EXACT same issue
2007 X3 3.0si Minivan / Alpine White / Black Leatherette / Brushed Aluminum / Steptronic Transmission / Navi / Xenons / Premium Sound / 18" 205-Style Wheels / Ordered 4/4, Production complete 4/16, ED Pickup 5/15, ED Dropoff 5/24, Arrived on Integrity 6/17, VPC 6/19, Released to Carrier 7/9, Re-Delivery 7/12!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM

check for of my threads that I started in 2009 about my X3 overheating. LOL... I thought for a moment that someone had posted something on my old thread when I saw this thread at the top of the X3 forum..
2007 X3 3.0si Minivan / Alpine White / Black Leatherette / Brushed Aluminum / Steptronic Transmission / Navi / Xenons / Premium Sound / 18" 205-Style Wheels / Ordered 4/4, Production complete 4/16, ED Pickup 5/15, ED Dropoff 5/24, Arrived on Integrity 6/17, VPC 6/19, Released to Carrier 7/9, Re-Delivery 7/12!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angina View Post
wow.... i had the exact same problem at around 60,000 miles. Coolant levels were fine, and car temp would go up if i drove for a while and idled in traffic..... If i sped up on the highway, the level would go back down... the thermostat was fine.

Turned out to be a bad fan... I went to my dealership and even though it was out of warranty, I read on bimmerfest that there is some BMW SIB that allows good faith repairs out of warranty to increase customer satisfaction... anyways I mentioned this and they did the repair for free...

i would definitely look into that. but it sounds like a bad fan... I had the EXACT same issue

Well temperature does get worse on the highway or driving in general so seems to be a different problem. And I can hear the fan turn on after the temp rises around 3/4 or so.

Did you have the issue of having no heat in the cabin?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Well temperature does get worse on the highway or driving in general so seems to be a different problem. And I can hear the fan turn on after the temp rises around 3/4 or so.

Did you have the issue of having no heat in the cabin?
no turning on the fan would blow hot air into cabin
Old 01-05-2011, 06:48 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angina View Post
no turning on the fan would blow hot air into cabin
... Which is potentially a good way to temporarily alleviate an engine overheat condition (e.g., sitting in traffic and can't get to the shoulder).

Granted, turning on the cabin heat full-blast would be very uncomfortable during an Arizona summer -- but it beats overheating your engine...

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
... Which is potentially a good way to temporarily alleviate an engine overheat condition (e.g., sitting in traffic and can't get to the shoulder).

Granted, turning on the cabin heat full-blast would be very uncomfortable during an Arizona summer -- but it beats overheating your engine...

That's what I first noticed was there was NO heat as I turned the heat on in the cabin. A weird symptom as I haven't had this before with any car.

But I noticed that if my cabin heat works, then my car would work normal and not overheat. But if my cabin heat didn't work, then the car will definitely overheat if I keep driving it.

Think I'll try to bleed the system and then check the electric water pump.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Turning on the heater when you are getting an overheat is a great way to give yourself some extra time to get to the shoulder, or even drive a little further. An old trick used a lot in the summer going up the Grapevine when the temp gauge starts edging up to the red. Also be sure to turn off the A/C!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
I didn't bleed the coolant system and didn't find a bleeder screw...anyone know where it's located?
It's very easy to see on my M54 engine, should be similar on your N52 (item #3 in the picture):

http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsM...png?v=03192010
Old 01-17-2011, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the exact same issue o my '07 X3 6sp w/ 85,000. I posted a thread under "temp gauge spike" this morning before finding this discussion. In my situation, I have NOT replaced the thermostat, so don't think any air could be trapped. Before replacing the water pump for $500, would love to know what you determined. Thanks
Old 11-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
I'm just passing on some info I got from my service rep when the electric water pump was replaced on my 530xi. When the coolant overheats in a BMW, the heater is bypassed. The thinking behind this design is that the heater core is likely the weak link in a over pressurized system, and the last place they want hot coolant going is in the passenger compartment. So it does no good to turn the heater on full blast when the car is running hot. It also explains why there is no heat at the heater when the car is running hot. I got fooled also - I do that all the time when my 67 GTO starts getting a little too warm.