UUC Exhaust - VOIDING Warranty - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 04-25-2002, 04:50 PM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Question UUC Exhaust - VOIDING Warranty

I just talked with my BMW dealership and found out that if I install the UUC Motorwerkes Twin Silencer Exhaust, that will void the warranty on the ENTIRE CAR!! WTF! They said if I purchased anything thru Dinan and get it installed at an authorized Dinan dealer, that will keep my warranty intact. I'm quite confused by this whole thing. Does the parts dept. guy just not know what he's talking about? My exhaust is due to arrive tomorrow and I might have to sell it already.

My car is due at the dealership by May 8th so I have some time to figure out what to do.

Please let me know if anyone else has heard of this/experienced this with any non-Dinan exhaust mods.

Thanks!:thumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2002, 04:54 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
How the hell are they going to prove that the exhaust caused, for example, the door seal to break?!

I've had a sh*t load of mods put on my car and my dealership has honored all my warranty requests so far, not a single peep. Tell your dealership you will be taking your "business" elsewhere.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 04-25-2002, 04:58 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
That's rediculous...

They shouldn't cover the UUC muffler, but other than that, nothing else should be effected...

hell, the Dinan muffler is basically the exact same thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2002, 05:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
They are full of ****. The law specifically states that unless the device directly caused any malfunction, the warranty is fully valid.

Still, though... An exhaust system is, frankly, a pretty dumb first mod on your car. You will see almost no, if any at all, benefit at a rather substantial cost. If you really want noise, disable the exhaust valve. Totally free, gets you lots of sound. If you want performance, get swaybars, maybe a shortshifter, a clutch stop and an M3 steering wheel. There is no reason to put an exhaust on the car until you've done just about every other possible performance mod. And even then, it's still debatable, unless you've gone with forced induction (just plain ridiculous, when you could trade for an M3.).
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 04-25-2002, 05:07 PM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
This reminded me of the owner manual's of the Ford cars a year ago or so. It was saying in the manual that only Ford parts must be used, otherwise the warranty would be voided.

A group of aftermarket part manufacturers came together and brought the case to the court. Of course they won. And Ford Motor Company changed the manuals
Old 04-25-2002, 05:10 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
This reminded me of the owner manual's of the Ford cars a year ago or so. It was saying in the manual that only Ford parts must be used, otherwise the warranty would be voided.

A group of aftermarket part manufacturers came together and brought the case to the court. Of course they won. And Ford Motor Company changed the manuals
That doesn't cover Ford manufactured AIR in the tire, does it? Or is it Firestone air that's at fault?
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:12 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by The HACK
That doesn't cover Ford manufactured AIR in the tire, does it? Or is it Firestone air that's at fault?
LMAO! Don't remember what it was, I must dig up the article. But nothing related to air, LOL, you crack me up.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
There's a sticker on the windshield of my car (well, it WAS there) that basically says that if you touch the car in a manner not explicitly sanctioned by BMW, your warranty is void. :P

Old 04-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Ex-Dictator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick325xiT
There's a sticker on the windshield of my car (well, it WAS there) that basically says that if you touch the car in a manner not explicitly sanctioned by BMW, your warranty is void. :P
Exactly, so don't play with the exhaust
Old 04-25-2002, 05:50 PM
In Mod Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
That's rediculous...

They shouldn't cover the UUC muffler, but other than that, nothing else should be effected...

hell, the Dinan muffler is basically the exact same thing...
This is exactly what I heard and believed.

The dealership has been great in every other respect. . . but then again I have been just dealing with my salesman.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to research this some more.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Now with Nano

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Re: UUC Exhaust - VOIDING Warranty

Quote:
Originally posted by Ackster
I just talked with my BMW dealership and found out that if I install the UUC Motorwerkes Twin Silencer Exhaust, that will void the warranty on the ENTIRE CAR!! WTF!
BULL PUCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you need to print the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, roll it up into a tube then slip into one of your service advisor's orifices.

a quick google search yields:

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides...s/undermag.htm

more here:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...arranty+Act%22
Old 04-26-2002, 07:54 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Mein Auto: BBY Evo VIII
Ackster,

That's not true at all! I can't believe they'd try to tell you something like that. The entire car warranty will never be voided due to 1 particular part on the car. THAT PART is no longer covered obviously, and if it can be determined that THAT part caused some other problem THEN you're liable to pay for it, but only under those circumstances.

Check this stuff out:

http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8123
http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=22237
Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 AM
In Mod Heaven

webguy330i,

Thanks for those links! I am printing them up as we speak and I will present them to this Part Dept Rep. the next time I stop by. Dave wasn't sure if the exhaust would do anything to the warranty so he checked the with Rep. I just hope after installing this they don't give me problems with anything. I don't want to start out on a contentious footing with Towne.

The more I think about my conversation with this guy yesterday, the more angry I'm becoming!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:23 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

With whom did you speak? The only person who is actually qualified to tell you whether it will "void the warranty" is the service manager. The parts people don't know what they're talking about.

But yes, print it out and bring it in. If they don't want to budge, well, number 1 that's going to suck because they're purposely denying you your rightful warranty because they think they can get away with it, and number 2 because you're just going to have to escalate this to the next level.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:40 AM
In Mod Heaven

It might have been the service manager. Dave brought me down the hall (past the conference room) and his office was right across from the new car garage bay.

Either way, I just spoke with my attorney at work and he said that unless I wanted to get into a conflct with BMW and my dealership, that I would be smarter to just sell the exhaust and not deal with them. He said that BMW has mechanics that could "prove one way or another" that the exhaust caused some type of other mechanical failure with the engine and that it wouldn't be worth my time or money to dispute.

I think I will probably just sell the exhaust and look into the Dinan exhaust. At least then I won't have to deal with this crap! Hell, I might just not get any exhaust at all (my own reasoning for getting the exhaust is now starting not to make any sense).
Old 04-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

I agree, it's a lot less time and money to not hassle with them. Unfortunately that's the way these things go; sometimes dealerships could care less about mods, sometimes they care about them more than the customer.

I think in this case they just want the Dinan money!

I applaud you for selling the exhaust anyhow; just keep it stock man. Low-key, pimpin' if you will, is the way to be.

Besides, how are your passengers going to enjoy the movies with that exhaust droning on and on?
Old 04-26-2002, 08:46 AM
In Mod Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by webguy330i
Besides, how are your passengers going to enjoy the movies with that exhaust droning on and on?
Great point!! Hey, worse comes to worse, I could just throw in Fast and the Furious, put it on a constant loop at the drag race, and listen to the sounds of exhaust to my hearts content!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:52 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Quote:

Great point!! Hey, worse comes to worse, I could just throw in Fast and the Furious, put it on a constant loop at the drag race, and listen to the sounds of exhaust to my hearts content!
LOL! You know I had this crazy idea once... I was going to hook up a microphone in the engine bay and plug it into the aux port on my stereo in my old Civic. Before you jump in the rice bucket, lemme explain that that car had the BEST damn sound at WOT with an AEM intake on it. My god it was beautiful. Deep, low growling 1.6l 4-cylinder!

Never got around to it though.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:16 AM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
Wow! They certainly have a high FUD factor over a stupid exhaust.

What the heck is an exhaust going to contribute to anything?

Imagine if you were talking about a REAL modification like a Cold Air Intake? I could see someone spazzing about that, but an exhaust?

Nick is correct--- the exhaust is a useless mod anyway.... but still, why would they care.

And if it was the parts guys... just stay away from them... if it's not an OEM part, they don't know about it. (Actually, some don't know much about OEM parts either!)
Old 04-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Ackster, if you still want the exhaust, give Adam a call @ Towne. He's the service guy to talk to. Very nice guy.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:37 AM

Everything that I've heard suggests that the dumbest thing you could possibly do is get your car modified at a BMW dealer. If you do that, then your modifications are inextricably linked with your car in BMW's system.

If you insist on putting an exhaust on, do it at an independent shop.

Old 04-26-2002, 01:35 PM
In Mod Heaven

After much more thought and the recent posts, I called the site I bought the exhaust through and found out it is on backorder. I cancelled my order with them and I probably won't be doing anything in terms of modding the car with any aftermarket intake or exhaust parts. I also never intended to have BMW do this install, I was just curious about the warranty implications.

Truth is, I should enjoy the car as is. I know the car is pretty incredible stock.

Anyway, thanks for all of the input guys.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Quote:

Anyway, thanks for all of the input guys.
:thumb:
Old 04-29-2002, 12:02 PM
In Mod Heaven

I wanted to give an update on what Bimmertoys.com had to say about the cancellation of the order:

I am sorry you chose to cancel your exhaust. Your dealer is NOT correct. This will NOT void your car's warranty. Your dealer would be able to deny warranty claims made on the exhaust system but nothing else on the car. Please refer to this link for more information but there are laws that require the dealer to cover your car in these situations.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8250

admin 29-Apr-2002 08:03:24

Thanks for using the BimmerToys Customer Service help desk.
Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

This link had some interesting information. I am still not going to get an aftermarket exhaust; but at least I have a bunch of ammo if I want to do anything else to the car and BMW gives me a problem.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:16 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
But you have no concerns about the other pile of stuff you have in your sig causing BMW to have the same reaction? Considering how tough it is to diagnose electrical vs mechanical faults, I'd be more concerned about claims of warranty vopiding from the ICE stuff.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search