Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: waiting for my new x3
Bmw apps

Hi, one week with the new X3. I am loving everything about it and daily exploring features. I paid for the BMW APPS. I dont have an iphone but thought I might at some point in the furture and did not want to not get it to wish I had later. I the thought of the adapter charging my phone as opposed to using the portable phone charger that I ultimatley lose or break is nice. I also liked the pandora feature but cant figure out how to activate it. I have my ipod and bluetooth working beautifully. Do I need the iphone to use the Pandora feature? I am finding the vehicle manual to be a bit cumbersome and cant find details on the BMWAPPS, just high level info.

Thanks for all the help.
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: X3
well I'd like to know about the Apps as well. I may get an Iphone also but never would use Pandora or Facebook or Twitter in the X3. So do I need BMW apps if I do get the Iphone? I think I can always stream music via bluetooth whether or not I have the Apps.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 PM

Yes you don't need BMW Apps or adapter to play songs or Pandora, all work thru Bluetooth.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:21 AM

thanks, do you know how I can access pandora?
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 AM

Download Pandora App on iPhone or Android phone. Pair your phone with X3 Bluetooth. Play Pandora on phone. Set X3 music on Bluetooth. That's all. Whenever you play any music on phone either through Pandora or stored songs, you will hear on X3.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Yes you don't need BMW Apps or adapter to play songs or Pandora, all work thru Bluetooth.
So what exactly does the Apps get you?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:33 AM

Apps will get you Facebook, twitter and calendar.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60, Porsche987, MB320
BMW App Question

Just ordered a new X5 and did not order the 6NR (BMW Apps) and would like to use a snap in for a new iPhone 4s. Will the phone work this way without the 6NR option or should I have order the 6NR option?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM

I keep my iPhone in my pocket all the time and thus do not need any snap in adapter. I sync my iPhone audio, contacts, songs, pandora and other music apps through Bluetooth, all work well. BMW apps are needed in case you would like to run certain apps on iDrive such as Facebook, Twitter, Calendar and possibly more in future. Snap in adapter provides charging to phone as well as USB connectivity and convenience of handling the phone in the car. It's a pure hardware option which also can be realized through a phone USB cable. Connecting phone on to USB port has advantage that you also get songs information like icon, text displayed on console which is not currently possible through Bluetooth of iPhone as it doesn't support MAP protocol.

Choice is yours. BMW Apps option is not expensive, in case of doubt, you can order it right now.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
If you have BMW Apps, the idrive ipod interface is much easier to use on the iPhone, and you also get full Pandora integration with cover art, thumbs up, etc.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 PM

I get full Pandora integration through USB cable though I don't have BMW Apps but I prefer to connect via Bluetooth and in that case Apps are not needed as music is just streamed. We will get full integration via Bluetooth too if iPhone implements MAP.

Anyway it's a personal preference.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 PM

^^ You can do thumbs up/down for Pandora on the iDrive via just the USB?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 AM

ALokbhargava, I was able to get the pandora to work through the bluetooth stream with my droid over the weekend. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Apps gets you more than just streaming...Facebook, twitter, last mile, web radio and pandora...many more apps in the works....it's what's coming that will make thi s a valuable option.....another pandora like app coming soon that will let you play just that artist and not jump around in the genre...you want to hear U2? You can stay on U2... Stay tuned....

RTOM.....
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Glen E, any more tours coming up?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Retired

Nothing released yet

RTOM.....
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
Apps gets you more than just streaming...Facebook, twitter, last mile, web radio and pandora...many more apps in the works....it's what's coming that will make thi s a valuable option.....another pandora like app coming soon that will let you play just that artist and not jump around in the genre...you want to hear U2? You can stay on U2... Stay tuned....
I'm sure BMW apps will become useful in future if those apps do not have equivalent apps on iPhone or other smart phone. I doubt if I would like to use Facebook, twitter etc on BMW car, I have my phone for that. I am sure all music apps will have streaming equivalent on iPhone. May be you are better informed about new things to come. Will that mean a software update or new purchase? In both the cases, it's better to watch the new releases and take the decision later.

Web radios and Pandora are available even now through streaming.

Last edited by alokbhargava; 11-08-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
I am sure all music apps will have streaming equivalent on iPhone. May be you are better informed about new things to come.
You might be missing the point. Yes, there are standalone equivalents that you can use on the iPhone. The purpose of BMW Apps is now you can control those streaming services (etc) with an enhanced interface, and directly through the iDrive. Less fooling with your phone. The goal would be to dock it once, and now you use iDrive to access all of your phones features, i.e. calling, iTunes, Pandora, FB, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 AM

You are missing one point .. Why are people asking if BMW Apps are needed? cause BMW charges extra $250 for the apps. No one would question it if it is given free along with iDrive. In fact providing apps should not have been an option or one should be able to install whatever needed at a very nominal price like $0.99.

Secondly apart from the music apps many would be distractions to the driver and they are better on iPhone rather than a clone of them is added to iDrive too.

This is my view point, others may disagree.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You are missing one point .. Why are people asking if BMW Apps are needed? cause BMW charges extra $250 for the apps. No one would question it if it is given free along with iDrive. In fact providing apps should not have been an option or one should be able to install whatever needed at a very nominal price like $0.99.
The app for the iPhone is free. You're paying $250 for current and future integration of applications and the iDrive interface. That takes continual development from BMW. You really don't expect them to offer that for free, do you. Plus, some people could care less and don't want to pay for it.

Quote:
Secondly apart from the music apps many would be distractions to the driver and they are better on iPhone rather than a clone of them is added to iDrive too.
Because it's less distracting to fish the phone out of wherever and use your iPhone screen to start the music playing?

Last edited by SamS; 11-09-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Charging $250 for the current available apps is not justified and why should we pay in advance for something that is not available now and may be available in future?

If BMW is following a strategy what you described then I see a big flaw in it. Any change in one app e.g. Facebook on iPhone would force BMW to release a new update, and this would make BMW chasing and running after the apps and make lives of consumers uncomfortable. In case BMW wishes to offer interface on iDrive, they should provide A way to get replica of e.g. iPhone's screen on iDrive which users should be able to use. Alternatively a web browser should be available to access web to download apps and install on iDrive. This would take care of any eventual changes in iPhone apps and make every one happy.

Last edited by alokbhargava; 11-09-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Charging $250 for the current available apps is not justified and why should we pay in advance for something that is not available now and may be available in future?
You already get several functions for that $250. And if you don't think it's worthwhile, simply don't get that option. You realize it's about the cheapest BMW option available, at just a fraction of a single percent of the purchase price? Why wouldn't it be available in the future? Is the iTunes functionality just going to stop working one day?

Quote:
If BMW is following a strategy what you described then I see a big flaw in it. Any change in one app e.g. Facebook on iPhone would force BMW to release a new update, and this would make BMW chasing and running after the apps and make lives of consumers uncomfortable.
Actually, BMW has pursued the most efficient strategy. They just update their own (free app) to accommodate new/improved functionality for third party providers. They don't have to "chase" apps. They choose which services they want to support, long-term, and make free updates to their own BMW App application to support updates.

Quote:
In case BMW wishes to offer interface on iDrive, they should provide A way to get replica of e.g. iPhone's screen on iDrive which users should be able to use. Alternatively a web browser should be available to access web to download apps and install on iDrive. This would take care of any eventual changes in iPhone apps and make every one happy.
All of the things you're describing are seriously expensive to design and implement.

The BMW App functionality is the the most cost effective, future proof, iOS integration that is the car industry today.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Retired

Sam- thanks...this thread is the reason I don't post much anymore...too many like this guy think BMW has as some huge ulterior motive when they have no idea what they are talking about ...bye all...I'll go back to lurking.......

RTOM.....
Old 11-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
According to a twitter I sent to BMWNA, there will be new/updated BMW app functions coming next week. I don't know what exactly.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:29 PM

With kind of responses from some one, I now too hate to participate in the discussions.

Last edited by alokbhargava; 11-10-2011 at 02:39 PM.