Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2008 328xi
Changing brake for 2008 328xi

Hi,

I recently purchased a second hand BMW 328xi 2008 with 42K mileage on it and went to the dealer to have my car fully inspected. After inspection the dealer recommend me to change both my front and rear brake because he said the rotors are pitted and the brake pads are rusted. The price he gave me to do this would cost me 1400 dollars so I went to Car-X and have them take a look at the car for me. They said the could change the brakes for me with 900 dollars but they will be using wagner rotors. So I was just wondering if should spend the extra 500 for the OEM brakes or aftermarket will do just fine?

Please help me out and I am new to owning a BMW, any information will be helpful. Thank you!
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Since you have under 50k miles, what was the original in service date? If less than 4 years ago, the OEM BMW warranty and maintenance are still in force and brakes are included.

Tom
Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
What he said.
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 PM

I asked the dealer that but they say because my brakes are rusted so the warranty does not cover that any more. I am not sure if he said it to rip me off or that is true. But say if BMW refuses to replace it for me under warranty then should I still get OEM brakes? Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchow5913 View Post
I asked the dealer that but they say because my brakes are rusted so the warranty does not cover that any more. I am not sure if he said it to rip me off or that is true. But say if BMW refuses to replace it for me under warranty then should I still get OEM brakes? Thanks for the advice!
Try another dealer.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335i meta black loaded
If your car is less than 4years and 50K miles, I would expect the dealer to Fix it.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
How do brake pads rust?
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 PM

I just called the dealer again today and he said that BMW warranty only covers if the brake is "broken" so since it is only pitted they do not cover it. I called another dealer and they said the same thing. I guess I can bring my car in to let them have a look too but the brakes are not "broken" but just because the inspection results recommends me to fix it so I am thinking of fixing it. The rotors are a bit pitted i can feel some minor pulses when braking but not a whole lot.

Would you suggest to not fix it now if it is still running fine? Or take it to another dealer to have a look any way? The reason is because I am really busy the next few weeks and the other dealer is located in another town so it would take some time to get there. If I just want to fix it, would a non-OEM brake make a difference? The people at Car-X told me that they know what they are doing and they are sure it won't hurt my car. Also my factory warranty will be expired by February.

Thank you all for the advices, I really appreciate it!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM
GONE

Mein Auto: .................
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
How do brake pads rust?
I think he means the rotors.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Yes, sorry if I was not clear, they want to change my rotors.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i Sedan
Quote:
Yes, sorry if I was not clear, they want to change my rotors.
i think what the dealer is trying to say that it doesnt look like you need a rotor change thus he wont change it for you. If the visual inspection says you need it changed then thats YOUR choice although i dont think its needed. I paid $200 for 2 original bmw rotors + both rear brake pads at my indy shop. Just giving you an insight on how much it cost me.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:23 PM

I see, thanks for the advice but just curious... is it essential to use OEM brake rotors on BMW?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I see, thanks for the advice but just curious... is it essential to use OEM brake rotors on BMW?
no, not at all. You wont feel the slightest difference. My mechanic told me i could get aftermarket for $50 cheaper i told him i didnt care......

Think about it, you're not exchanging another engine for an " after market" one. Its g0d damn brakes here...... Unless you're like a zombie you probably wont feel the difference.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
also, just fyi i replaced the battery on my car with an aftermarket one and paid $100 compared to the dealer's $500 price tag. I COULDNT HAVE BEEN HAPPIER WITH MY DECISION!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
I just called the dealer again today and he said that BMW warranty only covers if the brake is "broken" so since it is only pitted they do not cover it. I called another dealer and they said the same thing. I guess I can bring my car in to let them have a look too but the brakes are not "broken" but just because the inspection results recommends me to fix it so I am thinking of fixing it. The rotors are a bit pitted i can feel some minor pulses when braking but not a whole lot.

Would you suggest to not fix it now if it is still running fine? Or take it to another dealer to have a look any way? The reason is because I am really busy the next few weeks and the other dealer is located in another town so it would take some time to get there. If I just want to fix it, would a non-OEM brake make a difference? The people at Car-X told me that they know what they are doing and they are sure it won't hurt my car. Also my factory warranty will be expired by February.

Thank you all for the advices, I really appreciate it!
If the brakes need replacement, they don't have to be "broken" for you to be covered. Under the four years of maintenance, you entitled to a brake job.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
If the brakes need replacement, they don't have to be "broken" for you to be covered. Under the four years of maintenance, you entitled to a brake job.
yeah i agree.... But the OP doesnt need a brake change in this situation.. I think that the visual inspector just THINKS he needs one which is the source of the problem
Old 11-04-2011, 10:46 PM

Thank you all for the great advices, I think I will go talk with the dealer again to see what is going on. If not I will get some after market brakes. Thank you for the advices, I really learned a lot!
Old 11-05-2011, 03:46 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Thank you all for the great advices, I think I will go talk with the dealer again to see what is going on. If not I will get some after market brakes. Thank you for the advices, I really learned a lot!
Search the forum for hints as to what to say. There are specific customer phrases and comments that trigger "automatic" changes. Saying that they squeal might be a good start. A friend of a friend's cousin's buddy's mates brother-in-law who is associated with a BMW service center offered to let me know what some of these phrases are to get specific components changed, I didn't take them up on it - not my kind of thing. However, searching the forum ("Brake replacement" or 'Brake problem") might give you ideas of what to say when chatting with the SA.