Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Car resistance on Neutral

Hello,

I decided to start a new thread rather than highjacking another one.

When I put my E90 on neutral in the morning and let it roll down my driveway, it will move very slowly, while every other car (small or large) will move farther and faster then my BMW. Anybody knows the reason? I asked at a the dealer once and they said my brake calipers were not touching the rotors and did not need to be adjusted. If they were, they said I would be able to smell it.

Has anyone else notice this?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
BMW uses transverse electromagenetic induction cooling (DFUCT) on the transmission casing. At certain times of the year, approximately midway between the solstices and equinoxes, the magnetic field of the Earth can align with the residual rheostatistical magnetism in the transmission, if the car is parked orthogonally to this field, approximately East-West. When this happens, the induced electrical moment created by the car rolling through this magnetic field causes a minimal perturbation in the flux capacitance of the cooling mechanism, slightly magnetizing the cogs and slowing down their rotation. Normally, with the crank joined to the driveshaft, one doesn't feel this effect, however, without the much larger resistance of the engine to overwhelm the magnetic resistance, one might feel it.
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 11-04-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
^ agreed!

FYI: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=561869
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 11-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Since the Earth magnetic field is shifting, soon you will notice your car rolls back as freely as others in neutral.

By the time you notice your car moves up the driveway by itself, in neutral, we, along with all life forms, would soon be all extinct
Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
I read that thread, but this is different. The car is in neutral. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this or I need to go back to the dealership.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Is it a manual or an automatic?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535d on the way
I fixed this by.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
BMW uses transverse electromagenetic induction cooling (DFUCT) on the transmission casing. At certain times of the year, approximately midway between the solstices and equinoxes, the magnetic field of the Earth can align with the residual rheostatistical magnetism in the transmission, if the car is parked orthogonally to this field, approximately East-West. When this happens, the induced electrical moment created by the car rolling through this magnetic field causes a minimal perturbation in the flux capacitance of the cooling mechanism, slightly magnetizing the cogs and slowing down their rotation. Normally, with the crank joined to the driveshaft, one doesn't feel this effect, however, without the much larger resistance of the engine to overwhelm the magnetic resistance, one might feel it.
Agreed! I fixed this issue by redoing my driveway North-South. Problem gone!

BB
Old 11-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Why would anyone purposely attempt to move their car in neutral?
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 11-05-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q&A View Post
I read that thread, but this is different. The car is in neutral. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this or I need to go back to the dealership.

Thanks!
I actually thought about trying this in the morning, while I was parked on a incline. The engine was on, I put it in N, released parking brake, my car quickly started rolling back, I had to abort the experiment before hitting another car.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335 I Coupe and 1967
Car Resistance in Neutral

The construction of the BMW transmission contains forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% reminative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P = 2.5C.n^6-7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Cholmondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a metapolar refractive pilfrometer, but up to the present date nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope. Undoubtedly, the BMW transmission has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
Because of the above detailed explanation, it appears that your BMW transmission performance is normal.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savidio44 View Post
The construction of the BMW transmission contains forty-one manestically spaced grouting brushes arranged to feed into the rotor slipstream a mixture of high S-value phenylhydrobenzamine and 5% reminative tetryliodohexamine. Both of these liquids have specific pericosities given by P = 2.5C.n^6-7 where n is the diathetical evolute of retrograde temperature phase disposition and C is Cholmondeley's annular grillage coefficient. Initially, n was measured with the aid of a metapolar refractive pilfrometer, but up to the present date nothing has been found to equal the transcendental hopper dadoscope. Undoubtedly, the BMW transmission has now reached a very high level of technical development. It has been successfully used for operating nofer trunnions. In addition, whenever a barescent skor motion is required, it may be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocating dingle arm to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.
Because of the above detailed explanation, it appears that your BMW transmission performance is normal.
Can I remind you that this is a family forum?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
Is it a manual or an automatic?
Automatic.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:32 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Automatic.
Wtf are you doing rolling in neutral in a torque converter-equipped automatic?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
Wtf are you doing rolling in neutral in a torque converter-equipped automatic?
Practicing drive through car wash?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:10 AM

I appreciate the replies but I think some of youu guys are missing the point. This is not something I do often o recommend others to do. I had my car parked on my driveway and one morning after turning the engine on I put it on neutral and let it roll down the driveway (50ft). I noticed it didn't move much. Then I tried with my wife's car (also an automatic) and it moved faster and further. Then I tried with a friend's car out of curiosity and it also moved much further. All I am trying to find out is if this is normal or there is sokething wrong with my E90 that is causing additional friction.
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i E90 (MT,Sport)
Quote:
I appreciate the replies but I think some of youu guys are missing the point. This is not something I do often o recommend others to do. I had my car parked on my driveway and one morning after turning the engine on I put it on neutral and let it roll down the driveway (50ft). I noticed it didn't move much. Then I tried with my wife's car (also an automatic) and it moved faster and further. Then I tried with a friend's car out of curiosity and it also moved much further. All I am trying to find out is if this is normal or there is sokething wrong with my E90 that is causing additional friction.
Thanks.
I suggest you are using a bad test based only on "voodoo knowledge." Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral, so why does it matter whether it does? What would it prove if it does or doesn't roll easier than a different car? Nothing at all. You are testing the wrong thing.

If what you REALLY want to know is whether there's something wrong with your car, then put the car on the road and watch your MPG. Is it unusually low? Open the windows. Are there any squealing or scuffing sounds? If the car isn't deviating from normal performance, then there's nothing wrong with it.

If the car is too new for you to judge whether it is acting normal, then take it to a mechanic.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidget View Post
I suggest you are using a bad test based only on "voodoo knowledge." Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral, so why does it matter whether it does? What would it prove if it does or doesn't roll easier than a different car? Nothing at all. You are testing the wrong thing.

If what you REALLY want to know is whether there's something wrong with your car, then put the car on the road and watch your MPG. Is it unusually low? Open the windows. Are there any squealing or scuffing sounds? If the car isn't deviating from normal performance, then there's nothing wrong with it.

If the car is too new for you to judge whether it is acting normal, then take it to a mechanic.
Squidget, thanks for the reply. You said "Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral." I am not sure why that is, but your answer is all that I was asking for. I don't notice anything else wrong, but I had never had a car that didn't roll easily on Neutral.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Ahh! Fall Weather!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
I believe it has something to do with the earth's magnetic field.

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-09/02/2014: 9.25 great years on Bimmerfest!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:55 AM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Why would anyone purposely attempt to move their car in neutral?
I do this all the time. While the floor of my garage is flat, the driveway has a slight decline. If I need to move my S2000 to get to something in the garage I just reach in (top down) put it in neutral, and take off the parking brake while giving it a slight push. With my hand on the parking brake I just walk it out of the garage. Or, if the top is up, I get in the car and with my foot on the brake and the car in neutral, I just give it a push with my foot out the door. I've done this for 12 years with the S2000 and it's not the first car I've done this with. I also do this when I wash either car although the BMW is harder to get moving, being about 800 lbs. heavier. Why start the car for only 15 seconds when you don't have to?

Do you think that moving the car in neutral is going to damage it in some wayl?

Squidget, what is the source for your statement "Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral"? I've never heard this about a BMW or any car. I'm talking manual transmission cars.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
I do this all the time. While the floor of my garage is flat, the driveway has a slight decline. If I need to move my S2000 to get to something in the garage I just reach in (top down) put it in neutral, and take off the parking brake while giving it a slight push. With my hand on the parking brake I just walk it out of the garage. Or, if the top is up, I get in the car and with my foot on the brake and the car in neutral, I just give it a push with my foot out the door. I've done this for 12 years with the S2000 and it's not the first car I've done this with. I also do this when I wash either car although the BMW is harder to get moving, being about 800 lbs. heavier. Why start the car for only 15 seconds when you don't have to?

Do you think that moving the car in neutral is going to damage it in some wayl?

Squidget, what is the source for your statement "Your car isn't designed to roll easy in neutral"? I've never heard this about a BMW or any car. I'm talking manual transmission cars.
What you have described is common, I think the issue some people have is the OP does it while the engine is running.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
What you have described is common, I think the issue some people have is the OP does it while the engine is running.
Why would anyone here have an issue with the OP rolling his vehicle in neutral with the engine running?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Why would anyone here have an issue with the OP rolling his vehicle in neutral with the engine running?
I have no idea. I think some people when they can't answer the question, they blame the person who raises the question in the first place
Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Well, in that case, if I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a downhill, I leave the transmission in neutral and just let the car roll forward with the traffic, using the brake as usual. No need to put the car in gear to roll forward if gravity can do the trick. I don't see how this could hurt even if the car is an automatic.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Great, now even rolling down an incline in Neutral the 328i stands no chance. Even when the engine isn't involved it is too slow against the competition.

Next I'm getting a Camry...they come with a dog. At least something to get respect on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
Well, in that case, if I'm in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a downhill, I leave the transmission in neutral and just let the car roll forward with the traffic, using the brake as usual. No need to put the car in gear to roll forward if gravity can do the trick. I don't see how this could hurt even if the car is an automatic.
I don't know if it will hurt the car, likely not but I just don't know for sure.

But it might hurt the fuel economy. I read somewhere that when the car is cruising in low speed and low RPM, the engine is kept "alive" by the car's momentum while the tranny is engaged, without gas injected and no firing in the chamber.

But in neutral the engine is running on its own, requiring small amount of fuel to keep the engine running at idle speed