Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Rattle from tail pipe

Yesterday I noticed a different noise when I started the car but it stopped within a short time. It seemed to be a fast rattling noise from the passenger side. I took a 2 hour drive up into the mountains and heard it off and on along the way and tried to pinpoint when it started and stopped. Sometimes it would stop when the car changed gears and another time when I accelerated. Most of the ride down I didn't hear it.
This morning I heard it again when I started the car, when I got out to investigate it was coming directly from the passenger side tail pipe. After about a minute the car's cold start idle speed dropped just slightly and the noise was gone with a very slight clunk.
Does this sound at all familiar to anyone?

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Ads by Google
Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 AM

After some investigation I've narrowed down the rattle. There is a door about 10 inches down the right tail pipe only. It is open when the car is off and closes when the car starts. After about a minute it reopens and the rattle stops.
Does anyone know when the door is supposed to close other than on start. I remember listening to a podcast about the 35is back when my car was on order. They mentioned that the exhaust adjusts it's volume to be louder when the top is up (seems to me it would be the other way around). As far as I can see, the little door didn't move when I raised or lowered the top.
I don't know for sure if only the 35is has the door or the 35i as well. I'm sure all of you will be interested to know when and why it closes.

Hospicedoc, you've got that cool camera mount, maybe you can mount the video camera back there and drive around a while.

Thanks for any help with this guys.

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Mmmmm

See this thread.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=476194
A solution to getting the flap to open on demand would be nice.

Also,
HospiceDoc,
What camera mount do you have? - I'm looking for a good one that I can mount to the inside of the windshield to video the forward view.
Only ones I have found seems to only have the flexibility to fix to the boot , roof or perhaps the side window.

Dr Stig
Australia
Z4 sDrive 35is
Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: .
It's your vacuum actuator for the exhaust flap. You'll need to have that side's muffler replaced. I've done a few of these at work. Now some of the rattling noise is normal, but if it's excessively loud, and it sounds like it is from your description, then bring it up with your dealer. It'll be covered under your new car warranty if they replace it. Good luck. The flap is there merely for sound suppression at lower rpm.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 35iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
It's your vacuum actuator for the exhaust flap. You'll need to have that side's muffler replaced. I've done a few of these at work. Now some of the rattling noise is normal, but if it's excessively loud, and it sounds like it is from your description, then bring it up with your dealer. It'll be covered under your new car warranty if they replace it. Good luck. The flap is there merely for sound suppression at lower rpm.
So, 'IF' your a BMW Technician what is your opinion on blocking up the vacume line to the exhaust, it does sound a lot louder but will it throw error codes/do any damage I'm sure others here would like to know also
Old 08-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
So, 'IF' your a BMW Technician what is your opinion on blocking up the vacume line to the exhaust, it does sound a lot louder but will it throw error codes/do any damage I'm sure others here would like to know also
I haven't seen it throw any error codes, but I also haven't seen a whole lot of our customers do this mod, at least not in the area I work. The flap is there merely for sound suppression, so it won't affect drive-ability either way. It gives a deeper tone at idle and low rpm when the vacuum line is disconnected and plugged, that's about it.

A lot of owners with E83's come into the shop complaining of a loud exhaust at idle, and most of the time it's because the vacuum line has cracked. Never seen any error codes from this either. Also not sure why the E83 vacuum lines crack more than other cars.

But if it's rattling, and many of them do excessively, then the offending muffler must be replaced. The shaft that runs through the flap and into the tailpipe from the actuator develops to much play and the exhaust gas flowing over it creates the rattle. Not uncommon.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 35iS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M View Post
I haven't seen it throw any error codes, but I also haven't seen a whole lot of our customers do this mod, at least not in the area I work. The flap is there merely for sound suppression, so it won't affect drive-ability either way. It gives a deeper tone at idle and low rpm when the vacuum line is disconnected and plugged, that's about it.

A lot of owners with E83's come into the shop complaining of a loud exhaust at idle, and most of the time it's because the vacuum line has cracked. Never seen any error codes from this either. Also not sure why the E83 vacuum lines crack more than other cars.

But if it's rattling, and many of them do excessively, then the offending muffler must be replaced. The shaft that runs through the flap and into the tailpipe from the actuator develops to much play and the exhaust gas flowing over it creates the rattle. Not

uncommon.

Thanks for the info
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Thumbs down X1 Tailpipe Rattling

Just purchased a brand new 2013 X1 about a month and a half ago and noticed the tailpipe rattle. I previously owned an X3 that had this tailpipe rattle but the dealer fixed it. Unfortunately, this time they tell me it cannot be fixed on the X1 because it no longer has a vacuum line but is instead electronic and if replaced it will do the same thing. The rattle is much worse when the car is cold but there is a rattle upon start and stop all the time.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown0311 View Post
Just purchased a brand new 2013 X1 about a month and a half ago and noticed the tailpipe rattle. I previously owned an X3 that had this tailpipe rattle but the dealer fixed it. Unfortunately, this time they tell me it cannot be fixed on the X1 because it no longer has a vacuum line but is instead electronic and if replaced it will do the same thing. The rattle is much worse when the car is cold but there is a rattle upon start and stop all the time.
Wrong forum.

1. Try the X1 forum http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142
2. I've been looking to pick up a X1 28 xdrive for the wife and have been regularly visting the forums and don't recall any complaints about the valve ratteling. I would call the dealer BS on this one -tell them to fix it. If it's new, it shouldn't rattle. They can replace the electric actuator just as easily as they replace the vacuum actuator. If they can't tell them to replace the muffler assy it's only $450.
3. You can always disconnect the actuator rod and wire the darn thing open. The flapper is only for noise abatement not emmissions.

I would chew the dealer's behind and tell them to fix the darn thing. Call up BMWNA if no satisfaction.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O

Last edited by HerrK; 04-07-2013 at 07:49 PM.