Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
Where in Western NY did you learn to drive? I'm from Jamestown NY originally.
Rochester. True snow belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilstein View Post
Just as a point of reference, in 2002 the 325i, Xi and iT with one driver and a full tank of gas weighed as follows:

325i 3,219 (242)
325Xi 3,461
325 Wagon 3,362 (99)

An "i" weighed 242 lbs less than an Xi, and the wagon weighed 99 lbs less than an Xi.
The wagon is a little taller too.

So Johnathan, notwithstanding your almost unearthly driving abilities, I doubt you're crushing an Xi performance-wise.
All kidding aside, while I do think keeping things as light as possible is always good, for me, the difference is in the feel. I've just always preferred driving RWD to any of the other options.

And going from memory here, the touring has the same overall exterior dimensions of the sedan. The only thing that makes it taller is the roof rails. And since mine has ZSP, it's actually lower than a lot of the other E46's that I see. (once again, not including the roof rails)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM
The Dude abides.

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Rochester. True snow belt.

All kidding aside, while I do think keeping things as light as possible is always good, for me, the difference is in the feel. I've just always preferred driving RWD to any of the other options.

And going from memory here, the touring has the same overall exterior dimensions of the sedan. The only thing that makes it taller is the roof rails. And since mine has ZSP, it's actually lower than a lot of the other E46's that I see. (once again, not including the roof rails)
I'm from East of Albany myself FWIW.

Lighter is obviously better. It's so obvious it's obvious. The point I'm making is that you're talking about 90 lbs like it's 500 lbs, and I doubt you can feel much of a difference while your accelerating away from a toll booth on the GSP - it's Jerzee for chris-sake.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilstein View Post
I'm from East of Albany myself FWIW.

Lighter is obviously better. It's so obvious it's obvious. The point I'm making is that you're talking about 90 lbs like it's 500 lbs, and I doubt you can feel much of a difference while your accelerating away from a toll booth on the GSP - it's Jerzee for chris-sake.
Also lived in Clifton Park, but that was pre-driving days.

I don't venture to the parkway too often. It's all about twisty back roads of Hunterdon, Somerset, Morris and Mercer counties.

You're right about the weight. I'm sure I can't tell the difference, but it's still fun to pretend. I got the rear to step out a couple times yesterday and it made me feel all F1 Pilot like.

I found this. Not sure if it's official, but they had tech drawings to back it up.

The E46 Sport Wagon is 7 mm longer that the sedan and the unloaded height is 6 mm
lower. The wheel base, width and turning radius are the same as the E46 sedan. The following
are the maximum cargo capacity/ loads:

I'm done thread jacking , now back to our regularly scheduled program...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 PM
EuroTuned330xi

Mein Auto: 2003 Bmw 330xi (white)
Welcome, nice ride, i love my xi (330). Dont be fooled its not much BUT there are stuff u can do to ur xi, just search around.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrlRulz View Post
I bought it with 170,000 Miles, the previous owner ( which was the only owner since 2002, the year of the car ) check everything at the BMW dealer... i got the car fax of the car, which shows everything already change/fix at the car that could fail , im impress on how welll taken car was the car...

.... regardless that i brought the car to the repair shop and they said,, EVERYTHING is like the car got only with 50+....
Ok, just a fyi, the boots are fine visually until they fail. The shop would not replace them proactively as its about 6hrs book labor, my boots lasted 115k on the original. Easy to tell once they fail by the huge amount of grease they shoot all over the inside of the wheel well.

Another caveat is when you replace your FCABs, measure the carrier as there was an unanounced change in size during the xi production life. These seem to wear slower on the rwd(rwd is about 60k life, replaced my xi fcabs at 85k and they were in decent shape).

Where in miami are you, my family has an appt in bal harbor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2002 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Ok, just a fyi, the boots are fine visually until they fail. The shop would not replace them proactively as its about 6hrs book labor, my boots lasted 115k on the original. Easy to tell once they fail by the huge amount of grease they shoot all over the inside of the wheel well.

Another caveat is when you replace your FCABs, measure the carrier as there was an unanounced change in size during the xi production life. These seem to wear slower on the rwd(rwd is about 60k life, replaced my xi fcabs at 85k and they were in decent shape).

Where in miami are you, my family has an appt in bal harbor.

Thanks for the tips. Im around kendall, close to tamiami airport.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Hey, one question, i was trying to install the AUX cable, but it seems that my car is equipped with the RAdio unit which doesnt have AUX input, because when i hit the MODE button it just show CD/FM nothing else, so i did some search on mr. google and found that the 2003 and above are the one with the AUX input, so what can i do beside the obvious to get another radio,,, to get an aux input? i dont want to change the radio unit, it just looks great....
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 AM
I brew life

Quote:
Hey, one question, i was trying to install the AUX cable, but it seems that my car is equipped with the RAdio unit which doesnt have AUX input, because when i hit the MODE button it just show CD/FM nothing else, so i did some search on mr. google and found that the 2003 and above are the one with the AUX input, so what can i do beside the obvious to get another radio,,, to get an aux input? i dont want to change the radio unit, it just looks great....
Pull out the radio and find out the model number, the AUX option won't show up unless the cable is installed and a device attached. There are several DIY's to make an aux cable on the cheap side. Mine cost about $10 to make with basic soldering skills.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Pull out the radio and find out the model number, the AUX option won't show up unless the cable is installed and a device attached. There are several DIY's to make an aux cable on the cheap side. Mine cost about $10 to make with basic soldering skills.
Oh. I will do later on theday and inget back to tou. Hope tou can help me!!!! Thanks.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323 Ci
I get around 28MPG combined city/hiway on my 2000 323Ci 5 speed with the sport package, snow tires and I drive like I stole it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsys View Post
I get around 28MPG combined city/hiway on my 2000 323Ci 5 speed with the sport package, snow tires and I drive like I stole it.
Wow thats great. I think im getting around 20 in highway and city combined. But i will fill it up the tank an let you guys lnow.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
So i have to take out the radio in order to let you know which model it is?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I got it. Check it now what ? i checked on the web this:

Alpine, Model CD53, Part Number 65. 12-6 919 072 (Dec 2001-Jun 2002)iPod Data, Sirius Capable, hope your DIY help me out to set it up the aux... option for the car...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1320859611.242278.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	300486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0536.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	300527  

Last edited by XtrlRulz; 11-09-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
I brew life

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...2#post12854922

Unfortunately it looks like your head unit isn't compatible with the AUX input. As I have an '04 and an '05 it wasn't an issue for me. It does look like you can use iPod integration if that's your intent, but no streaming of Pandora, etc. on your current unit. Sorry I couldn't give you better news.

There may be some aftermarket options available, honestly I haven't kept up to date on them.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:39 AM

By ipod integration what do you mean ? I just want to connect my iPhone, i just can build the Aux cable and try it ?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 AM
I brew life

There are several options you can use to hook up your i-device, search the forums here, I know there is the DICE, USA spec, and a few others. To my knowledte there's no make it yourself ipod/iphone cable but you can buy it and it's reportedly as easy to install. The AUX cable is generally for non-i device connection.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM

I just want a cable like this... :S http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=676527 lets see what i can do...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:57 PM

Ok guys, i did the trick,,, but didnt work, at least i try... I create as the DIY says.. the Aux Input hoping that it could work but it didnt... so now i may get a Ipod interface which is over priced or dont know because i dont want to change the radio... the original one seems like the perfect one for me.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 AM
I brew life

Quote:
Ok guys, i did the trick,,, but didnt work, at least i try... I create as the DIY says.. the Aux Input hoping that it could work but it didnt... so now i may get a Ipod interface which is over priced or dont know because i dont want to change the radio... the original one seems like the perfect one for me.
If you consulted the link I provided(made by member delmarco) you see that your HU ISN"T compatible for AUX. You will be able to use your i-device with the propper cable.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Skier View Post
There is certain roads that you must have AWD or 4WD. Ex. When you're going up a mountain to a ski resort.
I love reading "information" such as this. Since I've never had an awd or 4wd and have driven tens of thousands of miles in show without snow tires. It is interesting to learn that in some cases with a RWD truck, it's better to ascend a hill *backwards* in snow than forwards. It was a neat trick that worked !

As to OP and your Xi - that' cool, and I'm glad you have a car you really enjoy. What you will find is that many of us here do not prefer the e90+ cars (or e60 in 5-series) as they really overall do not represent an "improvement." In fact in terms of relibility and owner-servicability, they are actually a step away from an e46. The interior is a measured step downmarket and looses it's uniquely driver-oriented feel. I had a brand new 2011 328xi as a loaner for a few days, and while still a nice, functional and tight car, it really lacked the driving appeal of my e39 or most e46's I've driven. I happily gave it back for my current car!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_525 View Post
I love reading "information" such as this. Since I've never had an awd or 4wd and have driven tens of thousands of miles in show without snow tires. It is interesting to learn that in some cases with a RWD truck, it's better to ascend a hill *backwards* in snow than forwards. It was a neat trick that worked !

As to OP and your Xi - that' cool, and I'm glad you have a car you really enjoy. What you will find is that many of us here do not prefer the e90+ cars (or e60 in 5-series) as they really overall do not represent an "improvement." In fact in terms of relibility and owner-servicability, they are actually a step away from an e46. The interior is a measured step downmarket and looses it's uniquely driver-oriented feel. I had a brand new 2011 328xi as a loaner for a few days, and while still a nice, functional and tight car, it really lacked the driving appeal of my e39 or most e46's I've driven. I happily gave it back for my current car!
Thanks! yes im so happy with my E46... Im taking care of it to the max! =) this weekend will be the one for the brake change and thinking on ordering some LED for the interiors... but im lil down bc i cant figure how to set my iPhone into the car without spending 160 dollars on the ipod interface device... heheh

Other than that,,,, I understand what you are trying to explain with the other's bimmer... for instance my cousing got the Serie 5 and other the Serie 3 both 2008, great cars, great feelings, but the way i drive those car are too different from mine... the E46 feels like more tough, more that i got the control... im not saying those are not good, they are great, but feel like mine is kinda project the man who's driving it hehehe ... i think only E46 can tell the different eh ? ... lol
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM

Hi guys. Today i just get the original brake pads for the E46 with the sensor. They cost me 170.21 dollars front and rear.

Im pretty happy with the car. Lets see gow great it goes tomorrow after i took it to be mount on the car. Another thin is that today i broke the engine shield cover which is pretty sad and cost 80 dollars!!! I haven't buy it but the price is ridiculous.

Anyways, im pretty happy with my E46. Btw i ordered the led for the car. I will get it soon! Thanks! I keep u post it with the light picture. Before and after.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323 Ci
Quote:
Hi guys. Today i just get the original brake pads for the E46 with the sensor. They cost me 170.21 dollars front and rear.

Im pretty happy with the car. Lets see gow great it goes tomorrow after i took it to be mount on the car. Another thin is that today i broke the engine shield cover which is pretty sad and cost 80 dollars!!! I haven't buy it but the price is ridiculous.

Anyways, im pretty happy with my E46. Btw i ordered the led for the car. I will get it soon! Thanks! I keep u post it with the light picture. Before and after.
They say you should change the rotors at the same time as the pads since the rotors only last about 1.5 times the pads. If you're not sure, feel the edge of the rotor with your finger, if there is a ridge, then change your rotors too. Drilled rotors are expensive, slotted are about $110/ pair here in Alberta.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:56 PM

So today I changed the Brake ... it cost me at BMW dealer in south Miami BMW 170 dollars plus the repair shop fee... around 220 for all the brakes with sensor and the repair shop. The car seems great...

So Far:
Oil/Filter Changed
Brake/Sensors Changed
Gas ( 3 times ) hehe...

I just ordered the LED from ebay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330640341561...S:1123&vxp=mtr

i ordered 10 of those, which cost me 16 dollars... lets see hope great they are at my bimmer... and still to order the feeston glove/etc. which are around 16 more.. but 16 LED option... instead of just 2 o 3... LED

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180748268395...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Feel free to review it... lets see
Old 11-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Today my bimmer just went without luck. I was driving it without any problem and suddenly start for GAS SILVER ( 89 octane ) and i got around 50 mile left in the tank, so i filled it up 20 dollars in the car, suddenly when i tried to start the engine it was like run out of gas, so it didnt accelerate, so i was like what the heck... i just pull more gas and it was like i took gas out of the care, the meter didnt go up immediately, so i was like it was gas or water? ...

so i approached to the pump and look it over again, to make sure it was GAS... not diesel or anything else, then i went to another pump and fill it up 10 dollars more, so it should be 3/4 of tank already but meter didnt show anything at al... so i tried to turn on again the engine and no luck, it was like trying even with the gas pedal on the top and nothing...

So i assume that was the GAS pump or filter or whatever... my repair shop it was closed today at least they received my bimmer,, so on monday they will check it out...

What do u think guys? ...