Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Few questions I just cannot figure out on my own....

1. OK, this has been driving me nuts. Nav. After I reach my destination and drive past it, a silly arrow on the dash (I have the extended one if that matters) will just not go away to bring back my odo and trip counter again. This really did it for me today as I really needed the trip counter to no avail. I tried stopping the guidance (it was already stopped since I drove by my dest.), I've tried turning the ignition off (which I should NOT have to do in the first place) and nothing worked. How do I stop it while I continue driving past my dest.?

2. How do you pause the music from HDD collection? I know you can turn the radio on and mute it and such (silly solution), but how specifically do you pause it to restart it in the same place later? Is it impossible? I don't just want to turn the volume down and let the song pass and onto the next.

3. How do you shuffle the entire collection? I know there is a randomize button but I believe it does not shuffle your whole collection - it simply takes you to a random song and then follows the order in the collection again. Is it also not possible? Such a no-brainer....

4. What does "reset trip computer" function do on iDrive? Seems completely useless as it does not reset my iDrive MPG and speed statistics. I have to use the button on the turn signal lever to reset my values, tried the iDrive option many times and it did not reset anything that I have noticed.
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
2. How do you pause the music from HDD collection? I know you can turn the radio on and mute it and such (silly solution), but how specifically do you pause it to restart it in the same place later? Is it impossible? I don't just want to turn the volume down and let the song pass and onto the next.
I don't use the HDD but I have a thumb drive with all my music and all I do to pause it is to push the volume button on the dash. Push it once and it mutes, push it again and it resumes the music at the exact place where you left it.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
1. I have that issue as well, it's a known NAV software bug which is supposed to be fixed with a future software update (or is it already, does anyone know?) Apart from rebooting/restarting the CCC (i.e. lock/unlock car), the current workaround is to start a new guidance to a different destination and immediately cancelling it again.

2. I can only confirm what the other poster above me already wrote

3. Dunno... I'm not missing such a random play function at all due to the fact that my music collection is covering so many totally different music styles, also with different playback volumes from the ripped CD's. Many classical albums, but also some pop/rock concept albums (i.e. Pink Floyd - "The Wall") are meant to be listened in the original track order.

4. The trip computer and the BC statistics recalled from the turn signal stalk are completely independent! So resetting the trip computer will obviously reset only the values on that specific iDrive page (= one of the split screen options). To reset an active BC statistics value, press the stalk button for a few seconds while it's displayed under the speedo.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:

4. What does "reset trip computer" function do on iDrive? Seems completely useless as it does not reset my iDrive MPG and speed statistics. I have to use the button on the turn signal lever to reset my values, tried the iDrive option many times and it did not reset anything that I have noticed.
There are two "trip computers". One is specifically for trips. It is not displayed on the screen between the gauges. It is designed to be used for specific trips and you view and reset it only through iDrive. Or you can have it auto-reset (as I do) and after (I think) 4 hours of inaction, it will reset so that the next trip is logged independently. In addition to average MPG and MPH, it also includes trip start time, total distance and total drive time.

The second computer is the one that is displayed between your gauges. It can also be viewed through iDrive. It keeps different statistics. You can reset it using the turn signal gauge or through iDrive. It also shows time and distance to destination if you have nav set.

Both of these can be accessed through the vehicle info section of iDrive.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-06-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post

4. The trip computer and the BC statistics recalled from the turn signal stalk are completely independent! So resetting the trip computer will obviously reset only the values on that specific iDrive page (= one of the split screen options). To reset an active BC statistics value, press the stalk button for a few seconds while it's displayed under the speedo.
The display shown on the dash controlled by the stalk can also be viewed and reset through iDrive. See above.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix sport
1. Bug

2. Select another radio mode or shut the car off. When you again select the to HDD music collection it will pick up where you left off.

3. Random playback (page 188 of the owner's manual)
All tracks of the selection are played back in random order.
1. "CD/Multimedia"
2. "Music collection"
3. Open "Options".
4. "Random"
4. Resets the trip computer
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
So would a bug as stated on the NAV be covered under warranty or would you have to purchase the update?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburleson View Post
So would a bug as stated on the NAV be covered under warranty or would you have to purchase the update?
Some of us call it a bug. BMW says it is "as designed". I'm not sure that any updates fix the "as designed" problem.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Speaking of guidance issues - if I am under guidance, when I depress the wheel button my center display reverts back to default temp-miles-trip comp display. The "next turn arrow" disappears, and will not return unless I reset the guidance. Is this guidance display coordination a double-whammy bug, or am I missing some crucial detail from the manual?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I have an early build, 8/2010, 535i, never got a software update (and not sure I want one). I stop guidance before I actually get to my destination. Sometimes once I get there, the MFD (multi-function display between speedo and tach) will show a straight-ahead arrow again. I just push the button on the stalk to go to the next selection. It doesn't "lock up" the display. Someone said there was a software update but IMO, it made it worse. It starts the MFD with a blank display when starting the car -- stupid. It should show what I was looking at when I shut the car down. To me this extra arrow display is a non-issue, I just push the stalk button and it's gone.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
Speaking of guidance issues - if I am under guidance, when I depress the wheel button my center display reverts back to default temp-miles-trip comp display. The "next turn arrow" disappears, and will not return unless I reset the guidance. Is this guidance display coordination a double-whammy bug, or am I missing some crucial detail from the manual?
When you get within a mile or so of the next turn it will appear again on the center panel display. In the meantime you could view it on the right third of the I-drive display by selecting the proper options.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Matty K.

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
When you get within a mile or so of the next turn it will appear again on the center panel display. In the meantime you could view it on the right third of the I-drive display by selecting the proper options.
Hmm, I thought I'd tried the first part (just wait). The second works just fine, has departure lane guidance as well. I leave the right-hand of the split screen set to perpetual overhead map view.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
I have an early build, 8/2010, 535i, never got a software update (and not sure I want one). I stop guidance before I actually get to my destination. Sometimes once I get there, the MFD (multi-function display between speedo and tach) will show a straight-ahead arrow again. I just push the button on the stalk to go to the next selection. It doesn't "lock up" the display. Someone said there was a software update but IMO, it made it worse. It starts the MFD with a blank display when starting the car -- stupid. It should show what I was looking at when I shut the car down. To me this extra arrow display is a non-issue, I just push the stalk button and it's gone.
I got a software update about a month ago. The MFD starts in the same condition as turn-off (not blank) and the arrow display only appears when I come close to the next turn. Prior to the update the arrow display would always pop up when I was navigating to a destination.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
I got a software update about a month ago. The MFD starts in the same condition as turn-off (not blank) and the arrow display only appears when I come close to the next turn. Prior to the update the arrow display would always pop up when I was navigating to a destination.
Mine required a software update to fix this as well. I hated the fact that I could not get the arrow to go away. I even posted a thread and a video about it....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...233&highlight=

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-06-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkossler View Post
Hmm, I thought I'd tried the first part (just wait). The second works just fine, has departure lane guidance as well. I leave the right-hand of the split screen set to perpetual overhead map view.
Used it again today and that's how it worked. I may have a later software version than you do. It was more like a half a mile before the turn that it popped up.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
1. OK, this has been driving me nuts. Nav. After I reach my destination and drive past it, a silly arrow on the dash (I have the extended one if that matters) will just not go away to bring back my odo and trip counter again. This really did it for me today as I really needed the trip counter to no avail. I tried stopping the guidance (it was already stopped since I drove by my dest.), I've tried turning the ignition off (which I should NOT have to do in the first place) and nothing worked. How do I stop it while I continue driving past my dest.?
Great advice to just stop guidance right before getting to the destination if I know I will need to continue to drive.

That must be some kind of bug though, as regular guidance arrow does not replace my odo and trip counters. That buggy one does - for no apparent reason. It could still be there but not hiding other dash displays.

Quote:
Thanks! Worked.

Quote:
3. How do you shuffle the entire collection? I know there is a randomize button but I believe it does not shuffle your whole collection - it simply takes you to a random song and then follows the order in the collection again. Is it also not possible? Such a no-brainer....
This seems to be not very popular so no answers...? There seems to be no complete shuffle option, but after each songs ends the button needs to be pressed again.

Quote:
Thanks, indeed there are two counters. I have just noticed the second one.

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Not sure if everyone here is talking about exactly the same NAV bug.

I'm using the arrow display only in the HUD, and when driving past the destination:
- the guidance on/off icon (left of the map display) switches to off as expected
- the checkered flag at the destination does not disappear from the map display
- the arrow display in the HUD remains active and keeps displaying direction and distance back to the destination (at least the voice doesn't keep telling me to u-turn!)

Yes, switching the guidance off just before reaching the destination is another workaround to prevent this behavior from happening. And once it's happening, starting a new guidance to a different destination and cancelling it again will successfully clear the flag and arrow display.

My car is a June 2011 build, so we can assume that any April bug fixes have already been included. This bug has been extensively discussed in German car forums, and I remember some Z4 owner stating that his prof. NAV is not behaving that way.
So it must be a F10 specific bug... or "feature".

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM

Yeah, another reason why I now wish I didn't sleep in my German classes. I wish I could read their forums, wonder if they also complain about the tip-in delay and pull to the right. I know we have Google translate, but that's still a pain in the butt, as no software does a perfect job.

This is definitely not a feature, unless a very silly one (it may well be intentional) - as it covers the odo and trip counter, something the regular guidance arrow does not do!