Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 M3, ZHP, 6MT
For anyone on the fence on an M3 vs 335i/335is etc

Or just about anything else for that matter!

I took re-delivery today after my whirlwind Euro delivery last month. Kudos and thanks once again to Adrian Avila (board sponsor, BMW of South Atlanta) for coming out on a Sunday to make this happen, as well as making the deal what it was.

So, after a long drive up to Atlanta in my 335 from Orlando, then back down in my new E90....

Wow!

I had driven a convertible some time ago and I suppose the added weight subdued it quite substantially, but having now driven this 'unencumbered' version, the difference between my beloved 335 and the new one is huge.

Compared to the 335 this is just leaps and bounds away from the 'standard' car. There really is almost no comparison. It feels much lighter on the front end, infinitely more planted and stable and communicative, a very true, very capable sports car.

The power delivery (even during run-in) is shocking, brutal at slightly higher revs, but also extremely tractable even cruising in 6th gear (I was surprised at this, and was a little worried about the loss of low end torque coming from the 335). You can increase cruising speed pretty substantially (65-85 range) with just light throttle pressure and without changing out of top gear.

The engine and exhaust sounds (again during break-in) are just sonorous and perfect.

I was a little worried about the standard hi-fi, having cheaper-out on the HK upgrade, but I have to say listening to Sirius (95% of what I listen too) I cannot tell a difference from my L7 335 system, except a bit more L-R separation in the front presumably due to the lack of the center dash speaker.

The competition wheels look stunning and overall I just could not be more pleased (well except the gas consumption , I averaged 18.6 over 450 miles of highway, we'll see day to day).

I'll get some pics up in a day or two, right now it's dark, car is dirty and I am exhausted.

I Felt compelled to post something following my adrenaline high - thanks for reading, and once again, if you are lucky enough to be considering one of these, but are considering 'statistical' close runners - go drive one, you'll have no doubts.....
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2011, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW M5
How much you paying on your lease?
Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
The best BMW ever!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
Nice review and very relevant for me!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Thank-you for that review. I am switching so that makes me feel better. I felt the same way (same differences you describe) when i tried out the M, but it's been a while now since I've driven it.... And what I feel everyday right now is the low-end torque on the 335i. I had no sense the M3 lacked torque and it is unmistakably a better car overall but I still have this little piece of me that wonders if i'll miss the low-end torque sensation of the 335i

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 M3, ZHP, 6MT
I honestly don't miss the torque, as soon as the revs move into 3k range there's more than enough power although you don't feel the torque quite as specifically, but the acceleration and power is profound - and as with all beemers, you're picking up speed much faster than you realize.

I have 6MT, and I will agree with other comments about 1-2gear change is not optimal, and at lower revs is harder to get offline efficiently than with the 335's torque at hand. That said, I am still running in, so can only speak for normal day to day casual driving. once you start moving past 4k, the beast is unleashed, and everything escalates exponentially. Snatch the next gear and bang - you are right back into more brutal power delivery, this is polar opposite of 335 which starts to taper off and strain as revs increase.

As before I could wax lyrical about the different feel, but you (as you have) drive to feel difference. If you are a 'true' driver and car nut, it immediately makes sense. You could never justify the cost jump on paper....
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkith View Post
I honestly don't miss the torque, as soon as the revs move into 3k range there's more than enough power although you don't feel the torque quite as specifically, but the acceleration and power is profound - and as with all beemers, you're picking up speed much faster than you realize.

I have 6MT, and I will agree with other comments about 1-2gear change is not optimal, and at lower revs is harder to get offline efficiently than with the 335's torque at hand. That said, I am still running in, so can only speak for normal day to day casual driving. once you start moving past 4k, the beast is unleashed, and everything escalates exponentially. Snatch the next gear and bang - you are right back into more brutal power delivery, this is polar opposite of 335 which starts to taper off and strain as revs increase.

As before I could wax lyrical about the different feel, but you (as you have) drive to feel difference. If you are a 'true' driver and car nut, it immediately makes sense. You could never justify the cost jump on paper....
Thanks for your additional comments. Oh yeah, after I got out of the M3, which I had the chance to drive "enthusiastically", I was like, "OMG, I have to have this car!!!"

- 2010 335i coupe (Monaco Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Gray Poplar, Sport package, etc.)
- 2013 M3 coupe on order (July production)
Old 11-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkith View Post

The 6MT definitely makes the difference for the M3. Good luck and enjoy your car!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget