Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011-AW 535i Cinimon Int
M front bumper inserts question?

Curious, I had my kidney grills switched to the glossy black when my car was ordered and on my white and in my opinion, they look better than the chrome...here is my dilemna, they are a nice glossy black and really pop on the white...however the inserts below the grill and foglights are a dull black...anyone actually paint those glossy black to match the glossy black grills? Can they be painted, they appear to be plastic

Just a small modification I think would make the front end look more aggessive which is what I prefer...I am thinking on white this is an easy conversion....you cant really tell from the picture as it all looks the same tone of black

My car is attached as a reference, any help or suggestions would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	300146  
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
20 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: v8 tt
How about wrapping it .. with product like 3M ? Many color including Carbon Fibre look. There are a few places around T.O. does this. Actually, I am thinking do this next Spring .. trying to match the rear lower valance (dark charocal grey).
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
I have just recently installed the glossy black kidney grilles and I was thinking I should have bought the matte black so the front end will match.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM

Hmm, wrapping it sounds like a pretty easy deal? Any shop you know off the top of your head in Toronto?
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Old 11-07-2011, 06:34 AM

http://shinzostore.com/index.php?opt...d=21&Itemid=39

http://restyleit.ca/index.php?option...info&Itemid=55

And here is a guy (mobile) started doing it this summer .. here is his work ... You have to PM him on that forum to reach him

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587740

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPVIEW View Post
Hmm, wrapping it sounds like a pretty easy deal? Any shop you know off the top of your head in Toronto?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
I have just recently installed the glossy black kidney grilles and I was thinking I should have bought the matte black so the front end will match.
You also need to update your profile image.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-07-2011, 07:01 AM

Thanks Bobblehead, those wrapped cars looks pretty good..wonder if I want to wrap my car one of these days?? Not just the inserts...nice way to change of the look of your car...
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 AM

The only big question is: Would they last thru the rough Cdn winter with all the salt & debris ? Because the intended wrap is in the front lower bumper, I need to do further research into the possibility of being ripped or cut by our winter condition.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Wrapping the mesh grilles would be painstaiking and probably not worth it. I would just pop them out and paint them with a decent paint.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Good Point on weather...might be best to just drop off my car at my local body shop when I have to travel and let him figure it out, not worth me farting around with it for a few dollars
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
You also need to update your profile image.
Im not posting any pics til I get my busted ass fog light fix. Its embarrasing
Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
I can't see how you would wrap the lower grills. I just did this for my son on his WRX dash and it was not that easy to do on a flat surface. I don't even believe paint would stick that well since they are very flexible. The paint would likely crack. A matte black kidney grill would probably work better if you want them to match. Just my opinion.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 AM

I remember seeing a spray paint for plastic at Home Depot, the name way Krylon

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Wonder if this would work? Anyone used it?
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM

^^ You lost your mind. Don't use that on your beautiful car. One mistake and you will swearing your head off ....
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

LOL, I would take the peices of my car...I would never do this myself..LOL...never ever, ever because you are correct, it is a peice of art...I just want everything in black in the front end GLOSSY BLACK
Artic White
Cinnamon Interior
M-Appearence Package
Technology Package
Executive Package
20 inch 311 Wheels
255/35/20 / 285/30/20
Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 AW F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
^^ You lost your mind. Don't use that on your beautiful car. One mistake and you will swearing your head off ....
I almost fell out of my chair after reading this
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i sport
Hi. new to forum. Just picked up an '11 550i with sport package and manual. I wanted the M package, but alas, would have had to order a 2012 at less of a deal. The sport package + dyanmiac handling was just a $1,000 less than the Msport but no aero kit, no M on the steering wheel.

Here's my question -- does BMW sell M body kit aftermarket?

Also, would you put an "//M" badge on front grill?

Maybe that's just "not done". But the thought occurred -- if it gets just a couple of left lane sitters out of the way it might be worth it.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 AM

Here is the OEM kit itself. Budget another $700- $1000 or so for installation. If you are serious, shop around with different BMW online stores

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573686

'M' badge on front grill. No, I don't think so. You may be subject to many ridicules if seen and blogged by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonovox09 View Post
Hi. new to forum. Just picked up an '11 550i with sport package and manual. I wanted the M package, but alas, would have had to order a 2012 at less of a deal. The sport package + dyanmiac handling was just a $1,000 less than the Msport but no aero kit, no M on the steering wheel.

Maybe that's just "not done". But the thought occurred -- if it gets just a couple of left lane sitters out of the way it might be worth it.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonovox09 View Post

Per Bobblehead's cue: It is very important you follow the code for building a DIY M-Sport Car:

1) No less than 25 M badges on the car including one on each headrest, one on the grille, one on each wheel, one on the steering wheel, one on the drivers side dash panel, one on the inside of each sun visor, one on the back of each front seat, one before and after the model designation (so it reads M528iM), one on the left side of the trunk, one on each door sill, plus the trunk sill.
2) You must have a large carbon fiber spoiler. The largest one you can find.
3) You should drill holes in your exhaust midpipes to make it sound like an M car.
4) Custom license plate with your initials followed by a space followed by M5
5) Your car must be repainted Estoril Blue, if this is not possible you can at least paint the hood Estoril blue.
6) You must wear only BMW M clothing while driving the car
7) This is very important - you must, absolutely must, have an M tattooed on your face and die your hair blue.

It's a strict code but taken very seriously.

On a serious note, go to GetBMWparts.com. Good prices on M bodykit. Stay away from the badges. After you are done that 2012 will seem like a better deal.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 11-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 AM

Wow after reading that I guess I need to take the M sport license plate holder off my car... Stealth you strike again. Way to keep us on our toes
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Per Bobblehead's cue: It is very important you follow the code for building a DIY M-Sport Car:

1) No less than 25 M badges on the car including one on each headrest, one on the grille, one on each wheel, one on the steering wheel, one on the drivers side dash panel, one on the inside of each sun visor, one on the back of each front seat, one before and after the model designation (so it reads M528iM), one on the left side of the trunk, one on each door sill, plus the trunk sill.
2) You must have a large carbon fiber spoiler. The largest one you can find.
3) You should drill holes in your exhaust midpipes to make it sound like an M car.
4) Custom license plate with your initials followed by a space followed by M5
5) Your car must be repainted Estoril Blue, if this is not possible you can at least paint the hood Estoril blue.
6) You must wear only BMW M clothing while driving the car
7) This is very important - you must, absolutely must, have an M tattooed on your face and die your hair blue.

It's a strict code but taken very seriously.

On a serious note, go to GetBMWparts.com. Good prices on M bodykit. Stay away from the badges. After you are done that 2012 will seem like a better deal.
Nononono, here is the PROPER way to make an F10 M5. Take one 535MSport, debadge, add //M Badge that's totally the wrong size, then, this is the important thing, put "M5" on your license plate!

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607931

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 11-08-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Serious About Shine

Send a message via Yahoo to bighungry618
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
M5 FAIL!...poser's; cant live with'em...cant shoot'em, although it is Texas...so maybe you can shoot'em?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Nononono, here is the PROPER way to make an F10 M5. Take one 535MSport, debadge, add //M Badge that's totally the wrong size, then, this is the important thing, put "M5" on your license plate!

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607931

"IRENE" = 2011 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Dakota, Premium, Cold
Mods:
JB4 Stage 2, Black Grille Surrounds, Black Fender Signal Trim, Body color front / rear reflectors and rear diffuser, DeBadged, 20% LLumar ATR premium tint.
To keep your car looking its very best:
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM

HA ha ha...that's good...completely deserving of the sarcasm...I like the 550i understatement...(cop yawned the other day when I was doing 85)...its not like the person sitting in the left lane @70mph, talking on cell, texting, doing nails is going to see let alone recognize that little badge anyway...or get out of the way for any reason.

Thanks for the links. I should probably just save my $ toward M5 anyway....that's been my plan (today anyway)... to trade in for the M5 some time after the initial premium wanes. But truthfully I am liking this 550i more than anticipated. Took me a couple weeks to really appreciate it...master the clutch. Intially I was a bit disappointed with handling...isn't the 335 coupe w/sport I had a few years ago...but now that I am tuned into the car and reacquainted with RWD... its a great compromise. A "mature" athlete...just like me!

Who knows, if Dinan comes out with a suspension/stabilization kit I might just go that route to nirvanna.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 AM

^^ 335 does not drive like a 550, in terms of handling. You know the 5 series is really a big cruiser and cannot really compare to other series. Like many are trying to compare a M3 to 550, given they have very close # in terms of hp, 0-60mph, etc.

I think you make a good choice by saving up and use the $ towards a real M5 down the road.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Yep and also handling very different than 535xi (09). That was almost idiotproof.