Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: yugo
Black Nappa or Premium Sound

If you had to pick one, Black Nappa or Premium Sound, which one would you pick and why.....
Ads by Google
Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 535i sport-premium-Nav
"Premium sound", as Dakota leather is good and the difference between Napa and Dakota is no that much, for that matter the difference between premium sound and standard is also no that much
Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_ACURA View Post
difference between Napa and Dakota is no that much,
I disagree with this one.

As to relative value or choice, I'd say both but that's just me.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Explore the space!

Mein Auto: On order: F10 535i
Dakota is good. Nappa is excellent.

That said, I'd definitely go with premium sound before upgrading to Nappa. (I did in the case of my car.)

Retired: E46 '02 330i Steel Blue on Black. Oct '01 - Jul '04.
BMW CCA, Golden Gate Chapter
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I disagree with this one.

As to relative value or choice, I'd say both but that's just me.
I disagree too. I would say neither. Base sound is fine and dakota leather is fine. I have had nappa in my M3 and it wears very easily...not durable enough for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet View Post
Dakota is good. Nappa is excellent.

That said, I'd definitely go with premium sound before upgrading to Nappa. (I did in the case of my car.)
If he is dead set on picking one or the other then I agree with you....
Old 11-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
I'd also say both, however if I had to choose one I'd say the nappa on the basis that you can upgrade the stereo if your not happy. Changing the seats would be nigh on impossible or economically non viable.

There is a massive difference between Dakota and nappa. The difference is huge. It needs looking after though.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerUKF10 View Post
I'd also say both, however if I had to choose one I'd say the nappa on the basis that you can upgrade the stereo if your not happy. Changing the seats would be nigh on impossible or economically non viable.

There is a massive difference between Dakota and nappa. The difference is huge. It needs looking after though.
Yes....exactly why I do not like it. Also, upgrading a BMW stereo without causing electrical problems is, theoretically, possible but not advisable. The potential for problems is great...better to do it when the car is built or just leave it alone.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:11 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Definitely pick premium sound before Nappa. I have both.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Just spend the money and get both
Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535D MSport
You should have no electrical problems if it is done right (coming from someone who knows how to do such things). I take your point though. Thing is - when you consider what your paying for the car anyway, the cost of the audio is pocket change by comparison. You may as well have it if it is of interest to you.
535d MSport Carbon Black / Black Nappa / Fineline Anthracite | Visability Pack | HUD | ACC | Adaptive Drive | Folding Seats | 4 Zone Climate | Surround View | Pro NAV | USB Audio | Professional Audio | Sun Roof | Comfort Seats | Heated Seats Front / Rear | Professional Rear Seat Entertainment.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550 M-Sport
IMHO, get both - the value is there. BUT, if I had to pick one, i would get the Premium Sound. First, there is a huge difference (to me) between the stock F10 sound system and the premium upgraded sound system. Second, after a year or so, there will be a smaller difference between Nappa and Dakota leather. For the first few months though, I must say that the Nappa leather feels and looks great. YMMV.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Nappa, you'll get more out of it. Half the time I'm on the phone, even then I don't blast the radio like I'm in high school.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
My choice would be nappa over sound.
The standard sound is quite sufficient.
But I am not sure, did you get SAT.
And do you plan to buy some decent wheels&tires?
And i love the sport steering wheel, it is in your hands all the time.
Not to forget the comfort seats, they are more important than leather or ...
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
with the settings from one of the threads internally, the premium sound system is very very good. and dakota with ventilated seats is actually quite nice

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Does the Nappa option extend to non-seating surfaces? For the under dash and console, is Nappa different than dakota?
Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Does the Nappa option extend to non-seating surfaces? For the under dash and console, is Nappa different than dakota?
where ever there is leather, it's Nappa on a model so equipped. You really need to see and feel the Nappa to understand the differences between that and Dakota. In my experience it's a pretty large difference.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
I really do not think anyone can answer this question but you. because the answers you get are certainly going to vary depending on how each of us values those 2 options. Do you listen to music a lot, how much value do you place on quality sound, nice leather, very nice and soft leather, etc. Bottom line - It really depends on what's important to you.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPark01 View Post
where ever there is leather, it's Nappa on a model so equipped. You really need to see and feel the Nappa to understand the differences between that and Dakota. In my experience it's a pretty large difference.
it is a big difference.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Over 20 years owning BMWs

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
...and dakota with ventilated seats is actually quite nice
Quite frankly, I think that the ventilated seats with Dakota leather look much nicer than non-ventilated Nappa. The perforations actually make the leather feel softer (than regular Dakota) and look much richer. And the cool air on a hot summer day is priceless.
2012 535i | Built 8/259/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i XDrive
I'd go with Premium Sound. It's the best ever. It made a total honest man just lie to you right now. It prints money. It flies through the air and lands on your face. It dances. It actually tracks down your favorite songs and memorizes the lyrics for you. It has Howard Stern come and punch you in the eye. It brushes your teeth. It makes women vomit in their mouths. It would eat a dog - literally. It changes your flat tires. It simonizes your exterior. It even martinizes your suit. It makes your watch feel less lonely. It programs the Hubble telescope. It sucks. I mean it really, really sucks. I wouldn't go so far as saying it mega sucks - but it premium sucks. Don't waste your money on this horrible sound system that does nothing more than slap the word "premium" on it and makes you feel like a premium jerk for buying it.

Other than that, I love it.