Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3
1997 Z3 Fuel pump relay problems

I have a 1997 Z3with a 1.9 that I bought not running. I had to replace the alternator (locked up when I bought it, supposedly the only problem). It would crank but not run so I found the fuel pump to be bad as well. I replaced it and still cranks but no start. I tried replace the relay twice and checked the fuse's but still no help. Finally I tried jumping the relay from pin 30 to 87 an it runs great but as soon as I take off the jumper and plug the relay back in. It won't run again. I bought two more relays thinking maybe they were bad out of the box but same problem. I have battery voltage at pin 30 at all times. I have 6.3 volts at pins 85 and 86 with the key on. Can anybody tell me what else I might look for? Also, the dealer said maybe it was the chip in the key so I took the key to a locksmith and he said the key was putting out a signal so I think I could eliminate the key. HELP!!!
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 AM

I think I am down to replacing the DME. I have found several used ones but from what I am reading they may or may NOT plug in and run. If they don't run, it has to go back to the dealer to be reprogrammed. Does any body know if there is anything in particular I can check before I buy to increase the chances that it won't have to be reprogrammed? Also, I know on GM products, when you change out a computer, you have to take the Eprom from you're old computer and use it in the new/replacement computer. Are BMW's this way too? Is there a Eprom? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
a repair manual would be a plus for you....follow the testing tree. if its stick you may want to check the clutch position switch or anti theft system.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:07 AM

Repair Manual

I have a Bently repair manal for this car. Everything has checked out that I can check. I can find no bad wires or fuses and have tried 3 fuel pump relays. What gets me is that it runs perfect when I jumper the relay connection. I agree with you that it could be in the central locking system or the DME. When the threads get you this far, the manual says to take it to the dealer.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
time to embrace the horror [ flatbed to shop ]
Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM

OMG!!! I guess I'm down to it dang it