Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Baoma

Mein Auto: 2001 325Cic
Standard display w/o Nav

Does anyone have a picture of standard display without navigation? I know it is a smaller screen, how does it look and work?
For new car purchase, I'm thinking to take $1000 option credit, as opposed to have free navigation. Don't feel the need for it.
Any thoughts?
thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330i
Here are 2 pics showing the difference. However, you cannot delete Nav. BMW supposedly cannot get the smaller screens due to supplier issues (Japan tsunami) and so all cars are being equipped with Nav and they are just refunding the invoice cost of $1730.

Standard screen shows all the iDrive controls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F10_noNav2_sm.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	300419   Click image for larger version

Name:	F10_Nav_sm.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	300420  

Last edited by pcbrew; 11-08-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M sport
Wow that screen looks tiny compare to the Nav...In fact my E60 screen look bigger then that and it didnt have Nav.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsBMW View Post
Wow that screen looks tiny compare to the Nav...In fact my E60 screen look bigger then that and it didnt have Nav.
I think the screen in my E60 is bigger than that without nav. Maybe supplier changes made the screen smaller on the F10 non-nav cars. The whole supplier thing is great because this car should have nav standard (like the E350 with P1 package) and anyone buying now is effectively getting a 2k option standard. Maybe BMW will see the light and just make nav standard on all 5, x5 and x6 models.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I think the screen in my E60 is bigger than that without nav. Maybe supplier changes made the screen smaller on the F10 non-nav cars. The whole supplier thing is great because this car should have nav standard (like the E350 with P1 package) and anyone buying now is effectively getting a 2k option standard. Maybe BMW will see the light and just make nav standard on all 5, x5 and x6 models.
Making options standard items is not always a great idea. In the case of Navigation, most people probably order their F10 with it, so it doesn't affect the majority of buyers. Same with leather seats, which are now standard. However, I'm not a proponent of making every option or package standard, it reduces the flexibility of optioning a car to a lower price point, and to pick and choose your configuration. I never understand the big push to make something standard. Simply order what you want, or in the case of an option like nav, most dealer stock will have the item. Why do people insist on "standard"?

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 11-09-2011, 07:39 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Making options standard items is not always a great idea. In the case of Navigation, most people probably order their F10 with it, so it doesn't affect the majority of buyers. Same with leather seats, which are now standard. However, I'm not a proponent of making every option or package standard, it reduces the flexibility of optioning a car to a lower price point, and to pick and choose your configuration. I never understand the big push to make something standard. Simply order what you want, or in the case of an option like nav, most dealer stock will have the item. Why do people insist on "standard"?
I agree with you, mostly. Some items, however, should IMHO be standard because the competition makes them standard. And by standard I mean without raising the base MSRP. I shopped an E350 before I purchased my 2008 535i and nav was standard and with similar eqipment the E350 was thousands less than the 528 and 535. The gap is much closer now. Most people in this price segment want nav in their cars. I would not say make it standard in an E90 though. I used to not care about nav and just use a garmin. However, after getting nav in the 335d and now the new 535i I doubt I will buy another car without it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Because BMW 5 series this is not a "standard" car.
This is executive kind of car. Air conditioner and power windows are standard. Same as leather interior (well, here might be other opinios) and large screen with navigation.

Here in Canada in the "base" model we have automatic transmission, leather seats and 550 comes with navigation only. And I agree with that. (I only wish more options is available here - e.g. we do not have soft close doors - it's a huge miss..). BMW - is a premuim car. And "premium" and "lower price point" are not matching together.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesterk View Post
This is executive kind of car. Air conditioner and power windows are standard. Same as leather interior (well, here might be other opinios) and large screen with navigation.

Here in Canada in the "base" model we have automatic transmission, leather seats and 550 comes with navigation only. And I agree with that. (I only wish more options is available here - e.g. we do not have soft close doors - it's a huge miss..). BMW - is a premuim car. And "premium" and "lower price point" are not matching together.
If you extend this logic to its natural conclusion, the F10 should be offered with every single option 'given' as a standard feature--at a price point of over $90K almost double the 46k base price of the f10 in the US

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.

Last edited by 1985mb; 11-09-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
If you extend this logic to its natural conclusion, the F10 should be offered with every single option 'given' as a standard feature--at a price point of over $90K
Yes, this is pretty much what we are paying here
Base model - 76K. Plus options - exactly 90K.
Minus negotiations (8%, this makes invoice +1%), plus 13% tax.

Indeed, there should be some degree of customization (e.g. to the personal preference - like wood or aluminum trip, summer tires, manual transmission, etc), but the base must be pretty sufficient.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 AM
A pair of I6s

Mein Auto: E93 335i, E90 330i
Quote:
Yes, this is pretty much what we are paying here
Base model - 76K. Plus options - exactly 90K.
Minus negotiations (8%, this makes invoice +1%), plus 13% tax.

Indeed, there should be some degree of customization (e.g. to the personal preference - like wood or aluminum trip, summer tires, manual transmission, etc), but the base must be pretty sufficient.
Well that is apple:oranges comparing US:CAD pricing. I'll edit my post for clarity.

I do agree to an extent. I think xenon/HID should be standard on F10, as it is now with MY12, and I think it's ludicrous that BlueTooth either wasn't standard or was a $750 (!) option on E9x cars. I don't think either nav or leather needs to be standard, as long as the vinyl is as good as MBtex.

2012 Mercedes-Benz E350
Prev: E90 330i, E93 335i, etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:

Depends on how you define "low". My somewhat sparsely optioned 535i had MSRP of $56K. Basically I have nav, heated seats, auto trans (free), anthracite headliner, premium 1. I don't need all the other options, or care to pay $70K for my F10. I appreciate that I have the choice. My F10 "base" is the same quality, etc. as a loaded 535i, just lacking some features which I deemed unnecessary for me. I don't consider $56K a "cheap" car.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: Infiniti M45
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Here are 2 pics showing the difference. However, you cannot delete Nav. BMW supposedly cannot get the smaller screens due to supplier issues (Japan tsunami) and so all cars are being equipped with Nav and they are just refunding the invoice cost of $1730.

Standard screen shows all the iDrive controls.
For some reason every time I see this screen I think of:

Current: 2011 550i Imperial Blue/Oyster
Current: 2009 Honda S2000 Laguna Blue Pearl/Black
Current: 2011 328i Sport Wagon Tasman Green/Oyster
Retired (2011): 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport Diamond Graphite/Stone
Retired (2006): 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe Caribbean Blue/Graphite
Retired (2003): 2001 Nissan S15 200SX/Silvia Lighting Yellow/Black