Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorraine View Post
While driving my x3 on the expressway the sunroof glass panel came out and struck another car. Has this happened to anyone else? It is a 2005 BMW x3. Had not noticed any problem with front pane.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Was your sunroof open to the bent position? I am hearing a new rattle that I suspect may be the sunroof and your experience scares me! It's March in Chicago so my sunroof hasn't been open in months but I guess I should have it checked out sooner rather than later. I drive an 06 with 58k miles.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM

That should be vent position!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Sunroof failure X3

Yes it was in the vent position. I did not hear major noises however please do a search for this website Webasto and Hollandia 700 and 900. There is a recall on BMW sunroof's. Apparently some sunroofs are installed by the manufacture and some are done after they are received on the lot. The ones that have the recall are the ones with the sunroof added after they are on the lot.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the information.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: M5 & X3
Looks like this old thread went in the direction of the correct advice which is DO NOT use the vent/tilt functions in these pano roofs. Don't use the the silly sun shade split vent function either. Go buy a $2000 80's camaro with a pop-top roof if you really dig tilted glass for some reason. It will be cheaper than replacing the roof in your X!

At most, slide the glass back to the first stop and you will be good to go for daily use (in my experience in various X cars). Enjoy. Don't attack your roof and hopefully it won't attack you with big $$ repairs.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5

Last edited by Rickm5X3; 03-20-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
Eh... Why have a BMW with a feature like a pano roof that can't be used? I'd buy a ford I I wanted to worry about these types of issues!

I bought my 2004MY X3 with the vent sticking issue, blasted the dealer for not knowing about it, got $750 back off my purchase, and paid my local Indy to mod the roof as many have done... Took less than an hour of work, no parts, and now its pretty much 100%

To be honest I will rarely use tilt... But it was that damn "can't push this" that was going to drive me nuts!

BMWCCA Member - New Jersey Chapter

Last edited by sixspeedz; 03-21-2013 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedz View Post
Eh... Why have a BMW with a feature like a pano roof that can't be used? I'd buy a ford I I wanted to worry about these types of issues!

I bought my 2004MY X3 with the vent sticking issue, blasted the dealer for not knowing about it, got $750 back off my purchase, and paid my local Indy to mod the roof as many have done... Took less than an hour of work, no parts, and now its pretty much 100%

To be honest I will rarely use tilt... But it was that damn "can't push this" that was going to drive me nuts!
Enjoy the E83. I think it is one of the best SAVs BMW has built. I spent 7 years with one and the pano roof was the one weak point so be careful. Well, maybe the roof and the transfer case were weak points. Otherwise rock solid car.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 03-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645i
BMW Lubricants

Hey everyone, I haven't read through the entire thread, but in case it hasn't been posted already...
Here is a downloadable PDF (seems to have been published by BMW) for all consumable lubricants for all of your lubricating needs (for your vehicle, of course)
Hope this helps!

BMW LUBRICANTS

I too have a similar problem, except my sunroof won't open. Maybe the previous owner had one of your all's issues with it not closing. IDK but the front glass part seems un-aligned with the rear part (no leaks yet). bought it like this four months ago, about to go have it serviced now. $250 for labor, parts separate. =\
Old 03-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-X3 View Post
Hey everyone, I haven't read through the entire thread, but in case it hasn't been posted already...
Here is a downloadable PDF (seems to have been published by BMW) for all consumable lubricants for all of your lubricating needs (for your vehicle, of course)
Hope this helps!

BMW LUBRICANTS
Interesting! I downloaded the brochure from your link.

Except it doesn't have all lubricants.

Because I have in my hand a little pouch of BMW Sunroof lubricant Part Number 83 192 157 321. And I don't see it in the brochure.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Lubricating won't prevent the failures many are seeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
Interesting! I downloaded the brochure from your link.

Except it doesn't have all lubricants.

Because I have in my hand a little pouch of BMW Sunroof lubricant Part Number 83 192 157 321. And I don't see it in the brochure.
The problem is not lubrication, although this is a good idea, it is weakened plastic fingers due to sitting up there baking in the heat and getting brittle. They break, fall in track and cause catastrophic failures. The reason many of us have them is not to use them, they didn't have any x3's without them, plain and simple.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
The problem is not lubrication, although this is a good idea, it is weakened plastic fingers due to sitting up there baking in the heat and getting brittle. They break, fall in track and cause catastrophic failures. The reason many of us have them is not to use them, they didn't have any x3's without them, plain and simple.
Exactly. Just because BMW includes them in all X3s, don't assume they are designed for reliable use.

Gone:
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5
Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
Ummmm...actually there were some E83 X3's built without the moonroof. But they were extremely rare in the US (dealers typically didn't stock them). My X3 was built at the factory with "moonroof delete". It has a solid painted steel roof. So far the roof has been completely maintenance free.....

Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
Sunroof misery

When the panoramic sunroof on my wifes' 07 X3 stopped, she took it to the dealer and yes they wanted about $3,500 to replace it. I checked and there are no limit switches or positive control devices to keep it from self destructing. It relies on pulse counts from the stepper motors. One little hiccup in the control system and voila! you get a big repair tab. Where do you buy the parts to fix one? I plan to repair it just before trading it in - it's been broken for the majority of the time we've owned it.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Repair kit

Somewhere on another forum, I believe the E39 one at Roadfly there is a post where the guys were fixing theirs very cheaply. There was even a write up on how to do it.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Good point, bdunn, about the included hex wrench to close the sunroof vents manually.

I used the wrench on my 2005 X3 and was able to close the large, front sunroof. Does anyone know how to manually close the small rear vent? In six months of owning the vehicle, I have used the rear vent only once, yesterday. Since the failure to close occurred earlier today, I have inspected it for broken or loose material, wiped the tracks and surfaces clean, and lubricated the springs and gliding surfaces on each side on the rear sunroof vent.

I am looking forward to removing the lawn tarp from an otherwise clean vehicle I bought from my uncle six months ago with 62,000 miles. He maintained it well (though likely did not use the rear sunroof vent) since he bought it from a dealer certified with 15,000 on it.

Sunburned

Last edited by Sunburned; 03-31-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburned View Post
Good point, bdunn, about the included hex wrench to close the sunroof vents manually.

I used the wrench on my 2005 X3 and was able to close the large, front sunroof. Does anyone know how to manually close the small rear vent? In six months of owning the vehicle, I have used the rear vent only once, yesterday. Since the failure to close occurred earlier today, I have inspected it for broken or loose material, wiped the tracks and surfaces clean, and lubricated the springs and gliding surfaces on each side on the rear sunroof vent.

I am looking forward to removing the lawn tarp from an otherwise clean vehicle I bought from my uncle six months ago with 62,000 miles. He maintained it well (though likely did not use the rear sunroof vent) since he bought it from a dealer certified with 15,000 on it.

Sunburned
Where are you in NJ? My local indy shop will close the panel, do the mod to remove the tilt from the rear, but leave the front working... 1 hr of labor.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:04 AM

Thanks, Sixspeedz.

I am in Toms River, New Jersey, and of course willing to spend part or all of a day to resolve the rear vent issue at your Indy service location. Travel, in the meantime, is no issue for me. I still have my reliable 2002 Honda Odyssey to use until the fix is completed.

Appreciate your quick post. Let me know if you need more personal information from me.

Rob Furstoss
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Sixspeedz.

I am in Toms River, New Jersey, and of course willing to spend part or all of a day to resolve the rear vent issue at your Indy service location. Travel, in the meantime, is no issue for me. I still have my reliable 2002 Honda Odyssey to use until the fix is completed.

Appreciate your quick post. Let me know if you need more personal information from me.

Rob Furstoss
Give ma a bit and i'll post the info. They moved to a new bigger shop last week, and i want to make sure i have all the contact info right first..
Old 04-01-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Give ma a bit and i'll post the info. They moved to a new bigger shop last week, and i want to make sure i have all the contact info right first..
OK, here's the current info, and don't let the small town shop name fool you! Jake's a pro with everything Euro, and a true car buff... We bring both our X3 and our M3 to him for almost everything

Jake's Car Care
639 Eagle Rock Ave
West Orange, NJ

973-251-2521

He'll sort you out. I told him you may call. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM

Thanks, again, Sixspeedz, for the new address and contact info.

I noticed you posted above that the Indy closes the rear vent without any required parts. I thought of this solution myself late yesterday, considering loosening or removing the mounting bolts on each side, with perhaps a T-something Torx wrench, closing the rear vent tight from the top side of the roof, and then tightening the bolts that mount to the tracks.

Do you see any wisdom in trying this myself first?

Rob
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks, again, Sixspeedz, for the new address and contact info.

I noticed you posted above that the Indy closes the rear vent without any required parts. I thought of this solution myself late yesterday, considering loosening or removing the mounting bolts on each side, with perhaps a T-something Torx wrench, closing the rear vent tight from the top side of the roof, and then tightening the bolts that mount to the tracks.

Do you see any wisdom in trying this myself first?

Rob
There is a way to close the rear vent with some tool, maybe a torx or allen wrench, but I'm not sure... simply closing it is half the battle though, the button will still be there functional and if you hit it again you will be stuck in the open position until you can manually close it.

The mod involves taking a dremel to the hardware so that the rear panel will never move again from pushing the tilt button. Then you can tilt all you want with no worries

Totally worth it for me.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I would have gotten the sunroof closed, put sealant round the glass and remove the power and never open it up again.

Last edited by PanHead; 04-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
There is a way to close the rear vent with some tool, maybe a torx or allen wrench, but I'm not sure... simply closing it is half the battle though, the button will still be there functional and if you hit it again you will be stuck in the open position until you can manually close it.

The mod involves taking a dremel to the hardware so that the rear panel will never move again from pushing the tilt button. Then you can tilt all you want with no worries

Totally worth it for me.

You have given me a clear sense on the mod for this problem, sixspeedz. I am giving Jake a call tomorrow to schedule the repair.

Can't thank you enough for the prompt, thorough, and clear responses you have provided in our exchange of posts. I have never experienced a tech forum work better. You are a much valued BMW brother.

Rob
Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:

You have given me a clear sense on the mod for this problem, sixspeedz. I am giving Jake a call tomorrow to schedule the repair.

Can't thank you enough for the prompt, thorough, and clear responses you have provided in our exchange of posts. I have never experienced a tech forum work better. You are a much valued BMW brother.

Rob
haha, no worries! You lucked out as i recently went through this all myself upon purchase and it was quite stressful... but this forum is super useful, and I've gained tons from it already so I of course have no probs doing my part on the few things i get to learn along the way

As long as it's just your rear vent stuck, you should be good with the mod. Once it's done, you may have to reset the system as mentioned in other posts to have it realize it's not stuck anymore and operate normally. You do this by pressing in the tilt button for 20 seconds or so and holding it while it runs through a reset cycle. If you haven't tried this yet, do it before going. I hear it can pop it out in some instances.