Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 AM
bmwbob89 bmwbob89 is offline
Registered User
Location: Newburyport Ma.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 2004 X-3 740i 325xi 88M5
Here are the instructions I found and they are from TFH.
https://docs.google.com/document/edi...thkey=CJOxga4O

I will do this today or tomorrow and report back. One of the front sliders was damaged when the rear roof jammed and the front tried to un-tilt. I used some epoxy on the and sanded them down. Mine is an 04 and I don't think there are any parts available for the early cars.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
brunke brunke is offline
Registered User
Location: Mobile Al
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
sunroof repair

The site wouldn't come up - message said it didn't exist. Sure wish it did!!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 PM
brunke brunke is offline
Registered User
Location: Mobile Al
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
sunroof failure

I thought that the likely reason for the sunroof failure on our 05 X3 is due to the poor control system. It got out of sync first and then broke. It's easy for a system that counts stepper motor pulses to get out of whack. Many of them are designed to resync like at closure. I don't buy that lack of use should hurt them. I had a 2000 Jetta and rarely used the sunroof, but it still worked 7 years and 170K miles later when me and the car parted company. This BMW is full of cheap plastic parts and the control schemes are frightening. It runs rides and handles well, but the accessorie stuff leaves much to be desired.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Bull City BMW Bull City BMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: 1999 528I
Hella thread. My sunroof worked well in a 530I and 5351 1994 and 1990 models, so I think not all models have bad sunroofs. The pano roof is more unique and complicated then a sunroof. The reason I am posting is becuase I am seriously considering purchasing an X3 manual. I think I will have the back pano deactviated and sealed upon purchase!
__________________
1999 528I 5 Speed
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 AM
brunke brunke is offline
Registered User
Location: Mobile Al
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 23
Mein Auto: 08 X3, 08 Harley FLSTC
Where do you buy a manual? This is the first vehicle I have ever owned without a manual. The online one that I subscribed to was very poor.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM
ExFree ExFree is offline
Registered User
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 2004
Yes it appears the x3 sunroof is either broken or about to break. Mine wouldn't close the back glass panel. I unscrewed the four screws. Tapped the rail back and the glass panel closed. I put the screws back in and disconnected the switch. I glued the end of the large internal panel down at the rear where the panel sits in the metal groove so that the panel doesn't flap up and down whilst driving. I then screwed a small Handel onto the smaller panel and now the back passengers can manually slide the internal panel back to enjoy a glass roof or slide it forward to keep the sun out. It cost me nothing to do. Don't be afraid to use the sunroof until it breaks then just close it like I did and make the internal panels moveable by you or your passengers. In Australia where I live, a new sunroof costs $9000. A 2004 X3 costs $15000. Go figure
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM
fivepointnine fivepointnine is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Olympia, Wa
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 345
Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
my "shade" works just fine luckily, just the glass portion went bonkers on me, Ill do the "fix" here soon.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Sunburned Sunburned is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
EXFree's DIY Moon Vent Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFree View Post
I glued the end of the large internal panel down at the rear where the panel sits in the metal groove so that the panel doesn't flap up and down whilst driving.
Thanks for the over-the-top advice from Down Under, ExFree!

I am curious to know more about the glueing of the large front vent, however. Did you spot-glue it? If so, at what points and spacing? Or did you run a bead of glue along the entire metal groove into which the vent rests? (My 2005 X3 front vent groove has three square patches of felt material spaced evenly in the groove.) Also, should the glue be outdoor or all-weather grade, particularly with the temperature extremes at my second home in the mountains of southern Vermont?

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 AM
sixspeedz's Avatar
sixspeedz sixspeedz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 244
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburned View Post
Thanks for the over-the-top advice from Down Under, ExFree!

I am curious to know more about the glueing of the large front vent, however. Did you spot-glue it? If so, at what points and spacing? Or did you run a bead of glue along the entire metal groove into which the vent rests? (My 2005 X3 front vent groove has three square patches of felt material spaced evenly in the groove.) Also, should the glue be outdoor or all-weather grade, particularly with the temperature extremes at my second home in the mountains of southern Vermont?

Rob
FYI, I initially thought about this being a possible issue, but have yet to see any leaks or have the back panel pop open mistakenly myself.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Sunburned Sunburned is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedz View Post
FYI, I initially thought about this being a possible issue, but have yet to see any leaks or have the back panel pop open mistakenly myself.
Thanks for keeping in touch, Sixspeedz.

I do have an appointment for 5/16 with Jake's Car Care in East Orange, but XFree's post got me curious again about the DIY route. I suspect Jake's disabling of the electrical motor involves a step XFree's method does not, which leaves the large, forward vent fixed in a closed position. Does this thinking make sense?

Rob

Last edited by Sunburned; 05-11-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 AM
ExFree ExFree is offline
Registered User
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburned View Post
Thanks for the over-the-top advice from Down Under, ExFree!

I am curious to know more about the glueing of the large front vent, however. Did you spot-glue it? If so, at what points and spacing? Or did you run a bead of glue along the entire metal groove into which the vent rests? (My 2005 X3 front vent groove has three square patches of felt material spaced evenly in the groove.) Also, should the glue be outdoor or all-weather grade, particularly with the temperature extremes at my second home in the mountains of southern Vermont?

Rob
Like you say, I ran a 150 mm line of glue along the back edges. The glue is called araldyte. Not sure of spelling. It's two parts that needs mixing with a pop stick or small knife. Be careful it sets in a minute. I sat in the back seat mixed the glue then pushed up the panel with one fiinger and applied a line of glue directly under the side of the panel so it will bond with the metal groove. Don't put too much or when you let it go and allow it to bond it will squish down the sides and look bad. Repeat to the other side. After doing both sides I put two 5 kg weights one on each side to weigh down the panel and help the bond.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:11 AM
ExFree ExFree is offline
Registered User
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: X3 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburned View Post
Thanks for keeping in touch, Sixspeedz.

I do have an appointment for 5/16 with Jake's Car Care in East Orange, but XFree's post got me curious again about the DIY route. I suspect Jake's disabling of the electrical motor involves a step XFree's method does not, which leaves the large, forward vent fixed in a closed position. Does this thinking make sense?

Rob
Fortunately the front panel was already in the forward position. I pulled down the sunroof switch panel. It can be opened by hand. The switch can be pulled out. You can see the one connected to the sunroof switch. You can disconnect. There's a small hole where you can insert the sunroof manual wind tool which should be in your boot section. Trunks I think Americans call it. Wind it down if your worried that the glass isn't sealed or set in place properly . I read that the glass should be slightly under the metal part of the roof but I kept mine the same height. Looks better and doesn't leak so far. After I glued the front vent down I wished I had thought of a way of being able to slide that back into ther back of the roof to enable the whole glass top to be revealed as an option. Oh well too late now. Thankfully the back half of the glass roof can be revealed. The mechanic told me to close it permanently and glue it all down but I like the option of exposing some of the glass. Especially at night or when it's raining. The children love it
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM
sixspeedz's Avatar
sixspeedz sixspeedz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 244
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburned View Post
Thanks for keeping in touch, Sixspeedz.

I do have an appointment for 5/16 with Jake's Car Care in East Orange, but XFree's post got me curious again about the DIY route. I suspect Jake's disabling of the electrical motor involves a step XFree's method does not, which leaves the large, forward vent fixed in a closed position. Does this thinking make sense?

Rob
I'm not sure if mine is locked in place now that it's down, i meant to try to push on it today to let you know... will try tomorrow. Either way, as noted, i've never seen/heard it flapping around at all (and I drive pretty damn fast!)...
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 AM
sixspeedz's Avatar
sixspeedz sixspeedz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 244
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
X3 Sunroof failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedz View Post
I'm not sure if mine is locked in place now that it's down, i meant to try to push on it today to let you know... will try tomorrow. Either way, as noted, i've never seen/heard it flapping around at all (and I drive pretty damn fast!)...
Checked, not possible to physically push my back panel open now that its closed...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2004 X3 3.0i, MT - REMUS!!!
all upgrades listed in "my garage"


BMWCCA Member - New Jersey Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Sunburned Sunburned is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedz View Post
Checked, not possible to physically push my back panel open now that its closed...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I had Jake take care of the rear vent failure yesterday on my 2005 X3, at his new shop in West Orange, at 639 Rock Eagle Avenue, on the left less than a hundred yards south of the intersection with Pleasant Valley Avenue.

As you said, Sixspeedz, Jake took care of me, at just an hour of standard shop rate. What I did not realize, despite your multiple detailed, helpful posts, is the major difference between Jake's fix and the DYIs we have read on this thread. Jake's shut-off of the rear vent leaves full electrical function of all remaining moonroof capabilities--front moonroof vent and sliding features, along with full power control of the inside shade.

To others with this problem, now or eventual: the trip to West Orange, NJ, is worth the time and travel expense. Verona Park is just down the road from Jake's Car Care, north on Pleasant Valley Avenue, with a great walking or jogging path. Montclair and Bloomfield (both college towns) are just a bit further, east on Bloomfield Avenue. Out-of-staters can schedule the repair early and spend the middle part of the day in NYC, with easy access by public transportation if not by auto.

Thanks for making clean work of a messy problem, Sixspeedz. If you are ever in Toms River, NJ, area, let me know ahead of time, so you can be my guest at my wife's Thai restaurant, Siam Spice Thai Cuisine.

Rob

Last edited by Sunburned; 05-17-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Sunburned Sunburned is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFree View Post
Fortunately the front panel was already in the forward position. I pulled down the sunroof switch panel. It can be opened by hand. The switch can be pulled out. You can see the one connected to the sunroof switch. You can disconnect. There's a small hole where you can insert the sunroof manual wind tool which should be in your boot section. Trunks I think Americans call it. Wind it down if your worried that the glass isn't sealed or set in place properly . I read that the glass should be slightly under the metal part of the roof but I kept mine the same height. Looks better and doesn't leak so far. After I glued the front vent down I wished I had thought of a way of being able to slide that back into ther back of the roof to enable the whole glass top to be revealed as an option. Oh well too late now. Thankfully the back half of the glass roof can be revealed. The mechanic told me to close it permanently and glue it all down but I like the option of exposing some of the glass. Especially at night or when it's raining. The children love it
Thanks for the detailed follow-up, EXFree. The image of your children enjoying the night sky or the rain in the back seat makes me nostalgic. The oldest of my three sons, just 21, is on his own in Breckenridge, CO, the second is attending his high school senior prom tonight, and the youngest has been running a successful on-line business since the age of 15.

Check my 5/17 reply to sixspeedz for the resolution to my rear vent issue. We can now add Jake's Care Car to the list of uncelebrated national treasures, of a country, sad to say, not much known within the international community for its modesty.

Grateful for your interest and help.

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM
sixspeedz's Avatar
sixspeedz sixspeedz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 244
Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i, 6 Speed MT
X3 Sunroof failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburned View Post
I had Jake take care of the rear vent failure yesterday on my 2005 X3, at his new shop in West Orange, at 639 Rock Eagle Avenue, on the left less than a hundred yards south of the intersection with Pleasant Valley Avenue.

As you said, Sixspeedz, Jake took care of me, at just an hour of standard shop rate. What I did not realize, despite your multiple detailed, helpful posts, is the major difference between Jake's fix and the DYIs we have read on this thread. Jake's shut-off of the rear vent leaves full electrical function of all remaining moonroof capabilities--front moonroof vent and sliding features, along with full power control of the inside shade.

To others with this problem, now or eventual: the trip to West Orange, NJ, is worth the time and travel expense. Verona Park is just down the road from Jake's Car Care, north on Pleasant Valley Avenue, with a great walking or jogging path. Montclair and Bloomfield (both college towns) are just a bit further, east on Bloomfield Avenue. Out-of-staters can schedule the repair early and spend the middle part of the day in NYC, with easy access by public transportation if not by auto.

Thanks for making clean work of a messy problem, Sixspeedz. If you are ever in Toms River, NJ, area, let me know ahead of time, so you can be my guest at my wife's Thai restaurant, Siam Spice Thai Cuisine.

Rob
Sounds like it all worked out well! Glad to have been able to help


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2004 X3 3.0i, MT - REMUS!!!
all upgrades listed in "my garage"


BMWCCA Member - New Jersey Chapter
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM
datawx datawx is offline
Registered User
Location: Victoria BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 05 X3 & 04 M3
Our 05 just stopped working yesterday.....no warning. Our local Indy wants 4/5 hours to strip out the roof liner etc to disable the rear piece of glass......last night searching the web I found 2 YouTube videos with the fault explained and the fix. With a dremel tool and maybe 30 mins of spare time you can fix the rear glass panel in place and have the rest of the roof system work just fine. Here are the links.....

Part1:

Part 2:

I commented on his video as I appreciated him taking the time to share this. I'd love to buy him a beer for his troubles. Hope you all get the same feeling.

Still pissed BMW are not stepping up to the plate on this one....

Enjoy......

RH, Victoria BC
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM
datawx datawx is offline
Registered User
Location: Victoria BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 05 X3 & 04 M3
Our 05 just stopped working yesterday.....no warning. Our local Indy wants 4/5 hours to strip out the roof liner etc to disable the rear piece of glass......last night searching the web I found 2 YouTube videos with the fault explained and the fix. With a dremel tool and maybe 30 mins of spare time you can fix the rear glass panel in place and have the rest of the roof system work just fine. Here are the links.....

Part1:

Part 2:

I commented on his video as I appreciated him taking the time to share this. I'd love to buy him a beer for his troubles. Hope you all get the same feeling.

Still pissed BMW are not stepping up to the plate on this one....

Enjoy......

RH, Victoria BC
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM
milovanov milovanov is offline
Registered User
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 93
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW M3 Conv
Saweeet! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected," Tyler Durden
CURRENT: 02 M3 conv, 06 k1200s
Family: 04 X3 3.0, 98 M3 2dr
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
datawx datawx is offline
Registered User
Location: Victoria BC, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 05 X3 & 04 M3
Went to town and got my Dremel tool this afternoon. Had this mod done in like 20 mins. Kept coming in to watch the vid over and over to make sure I did it right. Now I have done this once I could do it again in 10/15 Mins easy.

Wonder who figured this out. Hats to to em!

Last edited by datawx; 03-13-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 AM
paulbowley paulbowley is offline
Registered User
Location: Blackpool, England
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: X3 E83
Mine did the same. I took it to a friend who fixed it in an hour for 45!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:05 PM
3gunshooter 3gunshooter is offline
Registered User
Location: Oklahoma
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: X3
Mine is bound up on the drivers side. Got my guy looking at it Friday. I got a feeling it's not going to be good news.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Burning2nd Burning2nd is offline
Under the lift arms
Location: Under the lift arms
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,541
Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
was it an option to not get the sunroof?

I know the e30's had problems.. and alot of e36 owners complain.. but ive always just cleaned my sunroof tracks and lubed them with silcone once a year and never had any problems on any of the 4 bmw's that we own
__________________
Specializing In BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz ,Volkswagen, Volvo

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06-04-2014, 06:29 PM
woofster woofster is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
Thanks for sharing those 2 videos above. Someone should buy that guy a beer.

I never, ever open up the sunroof although I keep the sunshade open at all times. Now I'm worried that the odd time I do end up opening it for whatever reason, it'll fail on me! So far, so good, but it's fantastic to have that video to help fix the rear glass portion in place. Just in case!
__________________
2006 BMW X3
2003 Acura MDX
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms