Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams. The cave's name is "Chauvet cave". It's a documentary on the oldest cave ever found with the oldest drawings and art ever to be found in history - flawless drawings on inside on the walls that were dated back 30,000-40,000 years. The art was nothing short of beautiful and breath taking. One can't believe the talent that existed that far back. The walls inside a cave as you can imagine are very rocky and bumpy. All the contours and curves were used to make it appear almost 3D like. It was really amazing. It confirmed the speculation of whether or not lions of that era had manes. The drawing cleary proved that they were mane-less. The cave bear drawings, cave lion drawings, the hourses running, the rhinos, and much more. What makes it so unique os that the way the cave was sealed long ago helped preserve the bones, footprints, drawings, and everyting inside as if it were all done just weeks ago. There are footprints of a little boy and prints of a wolf walking side-by-side, really awsome.

The cave was found in this area:

Quote:
The Ardèche Gorges in France is often referred to as the 'Grand Canyon' of Europe with spectacular limestone cliffs towering up to 1000ft above the meandering river below. The entrance to which is through the famous Pont D'Arc based near Vallon which at 192ft is, according to the Natural Arch and Bridge Society, "the largest natural bridge in Europe". It was here that the discovery of the Chauvet cave was made in 1994.

http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/francechauvet.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
I saw The Chaser on Netflix streaming the other day. I thought it was entertaining and based on a true serial killer.

Attachment 318556
Looks good, I'm going to check it out
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Just watched Hunger Games, and it was phenomenal. I can only imagine what the books are like. So much substance, the movie is saying so much between the lines, a must see.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
Saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams. The cave's name is "Chauvet cave". It's a documentary on the oldest cave ever found with the oldest drawings and art ever to be found in history - flawless drawings on inside on the walls that were dated back 30,000-40,000 years. The art was nothing short of beautiful and breath taking. One can't believe the talent that existed that far back. The walls inside a cave as you can imagine are very rocky and bumpy. All the contours and curves were used to make it appear almost 3D like. It was really amazing. It confirmed the speculation of whether or not lions of that era had manes. The drawing cleary proved that they were mane-less. The cave bear drawings, cave lion drawings, the hourses running, the rhinos, and much more. What makes it so unique os that the way the cave was sealed long ago helped preserve the bones, footprints, drawings, and everyting inside as if it were all done just weeks ago. There are footprints of a little boy and prints of a wolf walking side-by-side, really awsome.

The cave was found in this area:

Beat me to it. I just saw it a few days ago on Netflix streaming at my girlfriend's house. Might have to ease up in my criticism of the streaming thing. It was a bit slow in spots but WOW, what a flick nonetheless.

I too was struck by the talent of the artists. Seems like cave art is often sorta simplistic - a lot of this stuff was very well done. I don't have much patience for the oft heard line about our ancestors living in the dark ages. Plenty of evidence that people of different eras before ours had enormous talent and ingenuity.

One amazing part was the apparent fact (carbon 14 dating) that one picture was sorta laid over another that was done 5000 years previously (!?). 5000 years seems like forever in our time. 3000 BCE is an era just barely on the radar of history. Imagining humans in approx 25,000 BCE discovering a cave that was used 5,000 years previous is sorta mind boggling.

Herzog is a wild film maker. If you've not seen his work much, check it out. Aguirre Wrath of God, The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser, Fitzcarraldo, Where the Green Ants Dream are all good IMO. His film Nosferatu the Vampyre was the only film, I swear, that made me wake up in a cold sweat the night after I saw it. He also made the Grizzly Man film, worth seeing.

My other recent good movie experience:

Sorry to go so mainstream but we saw The Artist recently and I gotta say, it lived up to the hype. A really charming flick IMO.

Last edited by cmac2012; 04-01-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
Just watched Hunger Games, and it was phenomenal. I can only imagine what the books are like. So much substance, the movie is saying so much between the lines, a must see.
Her home village scenes were filmed literally 3 minutes away from my house.

Saw "Midnight in Paris" it was surprisingly good. Especially for an Owen Wilson film...

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewaters View Post

Saw "Midnight in Paris" it was surprisingly good. Especially for an Owen Wilson film...
thats pretty cool, did you see the set in the process of filming?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Rather Large Member

Mein Auto: 88 325is 04&09 jetta TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
thats pretty cool, did you see the set in the process of filming?
Saw a lot of the prep work and set dressing and such. But they cordoned the area off when they started filming.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson
Old age and treachery, will always overcome youth and skill.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Not seen - but I just ordered the Ocean's Trilogy on BluRay from Amazon for $14 today!

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Beat me to it. I just saw it a few days ago on Netflix streaming at my girlfriend's house. Might have to ease up in my criticism of the streaming thing. It was a bit slow in spots but WOW, what a flick nonetheless.

I too was struck by the talent of the artists. Seems like cave art is often sorta simplistic - a lot of this stuff was very well done. I don't have much patience for the oft heard line about our ancestors living in the dark ages. Plenty of evidence that people of different eras before ours had enormous talent and ingenuity.

One amazing part was the apparent fact (carbon 14 dating) that one picture was sorta laid over another that was done 5000 years previously (!?). 5000 years seems like forever in our time. 3000 BCE is an era just barely on the radar of history. Imagining humans in approx 25,000 BCE discovering a cave that was used 5,000 years previous is sorta mind boggling.

Herzog is a wild film maker. If you've not seen his work much, check it out. Aguirre Wrath of God, The Mystery of Kaspar Hauser, Fitzcarraldo, Where the Green Ants Dream are all good IMO. His film Nosferatu the Vampyre was the only film, I swear, that made me wake up in a cold sweat the night after I saw it. He also made the Grizzly Man film, worth seeing.

My other recent good movie experience:

Sorry to go so mainstream but we saw The Artist recently and I gotta say, it lived up to the hype. A really charming flick IMO.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Going to see Cabin in the Woods tonight.

Anyone know what the largest, loudest, and awsomest cinema is in Toronto? Is it Scotia Theatre on John St??
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto:
edit: wrong place - deleted
Old 04-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
In A Better World (Hævnen - Dutch) won the 2010 Oscar for best foreign language film. It is fantastic - recommend seeing it on Blu-Ray as it's beautifully shot. Hollywood rarely makes films this good anymore.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
21 Jump Street was actually very funny. Typically when you hear all that hype it turns out to be terrible, not the case with this movie IMO
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 323i sedan
Tears of the sun
Defiance
Black hawk down
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan... View Post
21 Jump Street was actually very funny. Typically when you hear all that hype it turns out to be terrible, not the case with this movie IMO
Was it really? Our plans to see Cabin in the Woods were canceled for Goon. Everyone said Goon was funny but I think it was pretty crappy over all. Now I'm hesitant to se 21 Jump Street
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
The Station Agent (and Peter Dinklage was fantastic as usual).

Cafe (2011). Interesting and light small production movie with Jennifer Love Hewitt. But my advise is to rent and watch it without checking it out first on IMDB or similar. No trailer, no reviews. Just watch it first so you don't get a spoiler.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
The Station Agent (and Peter Dinklage was fantastic as usual).

Cafe (2011). Interesting and light small production movie with Jennifer Love Hewitt. But my advise is to rent and watch it without checking it out first on IMDB or similar. No trailer, no reviews. Just watch it first so you don't get a spoiler.
That's enough info for me to not see it
Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Just watched Contraband.

Marc Wahlberg is the MF Man!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:56 PM
ICH LIEBE BMW!!!!

Send a message via Skype™ to mwagner1
Mein Auto: it has four wheels
Hugo

Best film I have seen in some time...

Cheers,
Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Anybody seen "Free Men?" The reviews sound good.

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/fr...nt?oid=3167652
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:
Was it really? Our plans to see Cabin in the Woods were canceled for Goon. Everyone said Goon was funny but I think it was pretty crappy over all. Now I'm hesitant to se 21 Jump Street
Absolutely, I was laughing for 50% of the movie. Whenever there's a ton of hype surrounding a movie I usually assume its not gonna be that good. This movie was that good
Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthewaters View Post

I liked that film a lot, except for Woody Allens' preference for shooting it in a very warm tone. Those daylight scenes in Paris would have been beautiful otherwise.

Watched "We Bought a Zoo" this weekend. I really liked it and it's based on a true story. Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson were great in it.

Also watched "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol" on BD. Great action film and it had quite a bit of humor in it too.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Just watched Contraband.

Marc Wahlberg is the MF Man!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't think it would be good, but I liked it! Good movie
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto:
CABIN IN THE WOODS

Loved it! Great movie. Modern horror flick bu actually successful. I hope part 2 seems possible.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:
CABIN IN THE WOODS

Loved it! Great movie. Modern horror flick bu actually successful. I hope part 2 seems possible.
I have a thread going about this movie. It is "Critically Acclaimed" and one of the best Horror movies in recent memory. The movie was so well executed and refreshing. Hope to see more from the director.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
War Horse

Not what I expected and that was a good thing. Great cinematography and music.