Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Underachiever

Mein Auto: 328,Z3, X3
War Horse
Company Man
Red Tails
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
The Iron Lady
Albert Nobbs (very strange movie!)
I really liked "Water for Elephants"!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Warrior - really remarkable little film. Didn't expect a movie with mixed martial arts as the backdrop to tell me a story where I cared about the two protagonists so much that by the end I was torn over the climax. Really rare filmmaking. Emotionally manipulative in all the right ways.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
The Avengers - 10/10. Loved it, best comic movie out there.

The Other Guys - 3/10. I love Will Farrell, probbaly the best "natural" comedian around, but this film was very dissapointing

Abduction - 0.5/10 - One of the worst films I've seen in the past few yrs. It's no wonder rotten tomatos gave it a mere 4% Don't waste your time, plot acting, everything was garbage

Movies I look forward to: Superman, The Wolverine, Green Lantern 2, X-Men: Deadpool, Rise ofthe Planet Apes 2, Hancock 2, Robocop, The Hobbit, Mad Max remake, Rambo 5, First Blood remake, Expendables 2, Last Stand with Awnold's full return to the film industry, Terminator 5, Prometheus, Snow White & the Huntsman

Will see Hunger Games and Warrior this weekend
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I recently watched The Fisher King for the first time since the theaters, on bluray, and I forgot just how much humor was in there, I think it's a comedic masterpiece. I had low expectations for the picture quality, but was satisfied with it (not as good as Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, but still a lot better than Baron Munchhausen).

I had only seen a few Kurosawa films before watching Yojimbo, and this one was by far the funniest I've seen of his. I read that Eastwood's Fistful of Dollars is based on this film, and since I like just about everything I've seen of his, I'll try to make it a point to watch this as well at some point. I watched the sequel to Yojimbo, titled Sanjuro, and it wasn't as satisfying to me. I have a guess that with this one, knowing the language and/or culture plays a bigger role than it does with the first one.

I too have seen Mesrine, Chaser, Warrior, Exit Through The Gift Shop, and I thought they were enjoyable, if not on the same level of film as some other titles in this thread. JMO.

Unfortunately, I have seen next to nothing of Herzog's works. Maybe just one or two films.

Woody Allen has been knocking it out of the park lately. I don't get the warm tone shooting comment, I thought it looked fine. You can take the same movie, and have extremely different color timings depending on the release, anyway.

I still think that The King's Speech is the best movie made since it was made. This one might end up having that "Shawshank Effect", where if it's on, I'll simply have to watch some.

I know nothing about Tinker Tailor, but it's up high on my Netflix queue. Is Contraband only so-so as some reviews might indicate? Because I did enjoy Shooter.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Interested in seeing Red Tails, I wonder how it will compare to the Tuskegee Airmen... I really liked that movie.

Last edited by Ishniknork; 05-16-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Woody Allen has been knocking it out of the park lately. I don't get the warm tone shooting comment, I thought it looked fine. You can take the same movie, and have extremely different color timings depending on the release, anyway.
I think that was me talking about the overly warm shooting style Woody likes. It's fine if you don't mind everything having an orange tint and colors to be off. I didn't mind it so much on the interior scenes because it made it look like they were shot in natural lighting but it totally ruined the outdoor daylight scenes. Still, Midnight in Paris is a great movie.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW M3 Coupe
Titanic 3D- always great
Iron Lady
American Reunion
One Day

Old 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
Ishtar
Old 05-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Fargo - 9 out 10
Super great flick. I wish they made more films like this. A+ acting and story.

Francis Mcdormand (hot), William Macy, and Peter Stormere

Rotten Tomatos: 94%
Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
BATTLESHIP: 3.5/5 stars

Solid special effects, consistent action, great eye candy. Somewhat predictable.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM
The Entertainment Guru

The Grey

Ya know... I was REALLY anticipating this movie. Love Liam Neeson! But what a depressing drawn out upsetting ending. 2.5/5 stars. And that's only for the visuals and backdrop/location.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Avengers 3D was good, 3.5/5.0, but dragged during sensitive moments that have no place in a movie like that.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was good but even at home with rewind and subtitles very difficult to follow. I had to watch the last 30 minutes twice and am still not that sure that the movie painted a clear picture of what happened. Might just grab the book and read it.

The Skin I Live In is worth seeing, with a pretty gnarly plot twist.

Last edited by johnc_22; 05-21-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Exclamation

Just watched this last night with my wife.

One of the most "Intense and Suspenseful" movies I can recall. And that's saying mucho!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
A number of Kurosawa movies are must see (IMO) a number of others are interesting but would likely be boring for a lot of people.

Dersu Uzala is a must see for all but those who love chick flicks above all else. This movie is about seriously tough men in a hard environment. A Russian surveyor, with a team of approx. 10 soldiers, encounter a Mongolian-like indigenous mountain man who agrees to be their guide. It's shot in Siberia, in wild country. There was a Swiss producer, a Japanese director, and a Russian and Chinese crew. Won the best foreign language Oscar. The lead actor, well, the lead is shared, but the Dersu Uzala character is an amazing fit for the role. Dunno how they managed to find him.

I agree that "Yojimbo" was a good one and better than "Sanjuro." "Hidden Fortress" is surprisingly obscure, surprising as George Lucas borrowed major plot elements from it for the first three Star Wars. It's a good movie in its own right and finding the Star Wars plot similarities could almost be a drinking game.

"Red Beard" is an amazing flick, but it's about 3 hours long and drags a bit. Still sorta mind blowing, but it's not for everyone. It was Toshiro Mifune's last film with Kurosawa. He wasn't happy with how long it took to film it, nearly 2 years IIRC. He played a doctor who directed a public health hospital in 18th century Japan.

"Ikiru" is another film that wouldn't appeal to everyone but some will love it. It's about the head guy in a public works office in post war Tokyo who discovers he hasn't long to live and his quest to hurdle mountains of red tape for his last act. "Stray Dog," also set in post war Japan about the tangled paths of a young detective and a criminal, was fascinating, not going to find a large audience though.

Might go without saying but "Rashomon" is a must see. It was pretty much the world's first glimpse of Kurosawa - won the foreign language Oscar early 50s. "Seven Samurai" also a must see of course.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 05-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I watched "She's The Man" this morning on TV. It was a surprisingly funny movie. It's a high school type movie and I didn't expect much, but the writing was smart and I LOLed quite a few times from funny lines. It's a about a girl who wants to play soccer but only the boy team is available. So when her brother went to London, she made herself look like him and joined the team. Not your usual dummy teenager movie. The end of expected, but the movie up to the last 20 minutes is a nice light easy watching. I recommend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454945/
Quote:
When her brother decides to ditch for a couple weeks in London, Viola heads over to his elite boarding school, disguises herself as him, and proceeds to fall for one of her soccer teammates. Little does she realize she's not the only one with romantic troubles, as she, as he, gets in the middle of a series of intermingled love affairs.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: '12 328xi, '11 135i
In July (Im Juli), Directed by Fatih Akin, rotten tomatoes 89%
Black Cat White Cat, rotten tomatoes 94% (don't know if you can find a region 1, our copy is region 2)
Soul Kitchen, another Fatih Akin film, rotten tomatoes 75%
The Lives of Others, rotten tomatoes 95%
Old 06-09-2012, 12:42 PM

This week I saw the following:

Battleship: 1.5/10
One of the corniest movies I've seen in a while. I didn't even want to see it in the first place once I saw the actors playing in it (rihanna wants to make movies? Amazing how actors can star in a film with zero acting talent and zero acting background experience ) and the corny storyline, but I did for a young one in the family. To sum it up in best terms, it's a dumb and stupid film. 1.5 was just for the special effects.
Rotten Tomatos: 30%

Hunger Games: 8/10
(Saw half of it few weeks ago). Saw the whole thing finally and it was a great film. Great acting and great story.
Rotten Tomatos: 85%
Old 06-09-2012, 02:22 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Men In Black 3: 3/4

Woman ln Black: 2/4

Flying Sword of Dragon Gate: 4/4

Pirana 3DD: 2/4 (eye candy galore helped)

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Men In Black 3: 3/4

Woman ln Black: 2/4

Flying Sword of Dragon Gate: 4/4

Pirana 3DD: 2/4 (eye candy galore helped)

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
21 Jump Street - 4/4! Hilarious and very entertaining!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 06-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Last night I saw Wes Anderson's new Moonrise Kingdom. It is fantastic, if you like his style of movies (Rushmore, Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Royal Tennenbaums), and I think this might be my favorite of his movies.

**** out of *****
Old 06-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Confused.

Mein Auto: 2002 325i / 2011 328i
Brave was not bad!
Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Cactus
Mein Auto: 2011 X3 2.8i
Just watched "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" with Steve Carrel an Kiera Knightly. It was very funny, touching and thought provoking.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Warrior - really remarkable little film. Didn't expect a movie with mixed martial arts as the backdrop to tell me a story where I cared about the two protagonists so much that by the end I was torn over the climax. Really rare filmmaking. Emotionally manipulative in all the right ways.
I didn't see this, but did you see Red Belt? That is excellent, it's kind of an MMA movie.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
The Grey

Ya know... I was REALLY anticipating this movie. Love Liam Neeson! But what a depressing drawn out upsetting ending. 2.5/5 stars. And that's only for the visuals and backdrop/location.
To my knowledge there's never been a documented attack on humans by a healthy wolf (even a starving one) - do they try to explain that in the movie? It looks really stupid in the preview, wolves hunting humans.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
Interested in seeing Red Tails, I wonder how it will compare to the Tuskegee Airmen... I really liked that movie.
I thought it was cheesy, predictable, and unrealistic. How many .50 rounds can a guy take and still function? Zero, except in this movie. Some guys even took cannon rounds (ME262 had only cannons) and were still flying their aircraft! Films like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers have raised the bar so high on WWII movies.

However the flying scenes are incredible, and (a rarity in the CG age), the planes don't fly or maneuver too fast like they do in 99% of movies with CG fighter planes. If you like WWII fighter planes you'll like this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno_duc View Post
The Lives of Others, rotten tomatoes 95%
Great movie.