Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: '10 AW 6mt 135i 'vert
135i 'vert with a 6 speed. Any out there?

I'm presently in an Audi A4 convertible, and though I like the car, miss rowing the gears so looking for a suitable replacement.

And I'm finding it very difficult to to locate any 6 speed 135 convertibles out here in California. Figured it'd be an easy deal to find one, test drive and hopefully get back to some good old-fashioned shifting.

So first off, if any are out there, how are you liking the performance of the car v. the 7 spd box? I'm an ex track guy and would consider bringing the 135 out there if the soft top is rigid enough. From my reading on the coupes, the car is a lot of fun turning laps.

And next question directed to the convertible only crowd, can you fit a guitar in the trunk? My A4 would hold either my acoustic or electric. Granted, they barely fit but it let me lock it up so I could go straight to my lessons from work. Small thing, but hate to leave such things exposed.

Thanks for any input, and hoping I can find the right car.

mark
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Have you tried searching for new inventory or CPO cars on BMWUSA.com?

My Nord Electro 2-73 6 octave keyboard will just fit in my 128i 'vert's trunk with the top down - but the amp has to ride in the back seat. Luckily I use a 328i wagon for gigs.

Good luck on finding the BMW you want.

Tom
Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 AM

I've spent hours on the BMWUSA site searching as far as it'll let me. It covers all of CA and most of Arizona. Found a 6 speed in AZ but that's a bit far. I realize I can have a dealer find one for me, but would rather just go check one out rather than start the whole process with them knowing exactly what I want Wish there was an easier way than going to each dealer site to check inventory, but I haven't found that.

I'm a hack just learning how to play so don't need to worry about any gear, but hate to leave the guitar in the backseat if it can be avoided. Is the trunk the same depth on coupe v. convertible and you just lose some height, or is it smaller all the way around? A friend has a 135i coupe and I'll try his for fit.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

My Nord Electro 2-73 6 octave keyboard will just fit in my 128i 'vert's trunk with the top down - but the amp has to ride in the back seat. Luckily I use a 328i wagon for gigs.

Tom
Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 AM

So I've talked with one sales rep and had emails with another and there are no 6 speed convertibles to be had with a Sport Package. They said ordering is 8-10 weeks and my patience isn't so great that way. Bummed as I was ready to buy one of these, and hope BMW goes back to selling cars with sticks at some point. Both sales people agreed that there were many frustrated would be buyers wanting a manual that didn't want to wait.

mg
Old 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
BMW does sell cars with sticks. Most Americans don't want them.

Manual Transmission cars can be a hard sell. Most dealers don't like to order them for stock.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
BMW does sell cars with sticks. Most Americans don't want them.

Manual Transmission cars can be a hard sell. Most dealers don't like to order them for stock.
I'm sure you're right. Let's hope they don't vanish altogether. Maybe I can get someone to chop the top on a nice M 1 coupe
Old 11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
I found my CPOed `08 135i convertible through searching on BMW's website...under pre-owned vehicles. I still go back from time to time just for the fun of it and the last time I did (maybe 2 days ago) I saw there were several (as in more than just a few) manual transmission 135i convertibles available. I will add here that, once upon a time, I wouldn't even consider a stick-less vehicle. That has long since changed. Also, I find the auto/manual transmission in the 135i to be quite thrilling...in manual mode, using the paddles, shifts are quick and precise. My advice would be not to write-off this configuration until you've tried it.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
I found my CPOed `08 135i convertible through searching on BMW's website...under pre-owned vehicles. I still go back from time to time just for the fun of it and the last time I did (maybe 2 days ago) I saw there were several (as in more than just a few) manual transmission 135i convertibles available. I will add here that, once upon a time, I wouldn't even consider a stick-less vehicle. That has long since changed. Also, I find the auto/manual transmission in the 135i to be quite thrilling...in manual mode, using the paddles, shifts are quick and precise. My advice would be not to write-off this configuration until you've tried it.
Must be more sticks back East. I did check CPO's and nothing last time I looked within a couple hundred miles. But I do keep checking. Perhaps I should stop checking and get some work done. And just checked again showing 3 in the country. But the BMW site is wrong, as 2 of the 3 list the automatic as an option though I filtered for a manual tranny. And the one with a stick is a color and option package I don't care for....oh well.

A buddy has an '11 Coupe with the 7 speed and though it is responsive and somewhat fun, just isn't the same. For my occassional track sessions I'd want a stick, even if the DCT can outshift me by a hundredths. No doubt it's a good box and at some point might reconsider, but my commute is so easy and I rarely sit in traffic, so rowing the gears is fun.

Thanks all for the input,

Mark

Last edited by Mark16q; 11-01-2011 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I had to look for a long time to find my MT in a coupe/design that's been around for longer, and so I can imagine how hard it would be with a 135i vert. I've never bought a new car, but if that's what you're planning on, I might suggest ED! I think the ballpark savings are about 7% or something, sometimes more if you catch other promos? Not sure, but worth looking into. Then you can hit the dealerships to see the packages and color combos that you like. Just an idea, and you'll have your MT. Oh you just said CPO now, eh . . . well anyway something has to give eventually, whether travel, patience, ordering . . .

On a side note, it probably doesn't matter too much right now, but storing musical instruments, namely wood acoustic instruments, in a car is a bad idea. Electric, I'm not nearly as concerned about. Probably the most common way these instruments get ruined is by moving them from one extreme climate to another; the rapid expansion/contraction of the wood, and particularly the soundboard (which is definitely the softest wood being used on a guitar, though I believe spruce is about 4x denser than cedar). Another thing to watch out for is the humidity change from moving it from say the humid outdoors to a very dry climate controlled room. If these are super cheap instruments that can't be in tune on their best day, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you ever splurge, I would. You can invest in hygrometers (also with thermometer). I like the battery powered ones, but you have to find replacement batteries at places like Radio Shack.

I used to use this one. During the* driest of the driest Santa Ana's, I saw it hit high teens a couple of times, low teens once, below that it's unreadable. Otherwise, the driest week of a relatively dry year will be high 20s to low 30s from what I recall. I'm sure there are probably better out there now, but it's what I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-H.../dp/B0002D000K

You can also check out the "Dampit" humidifiers for the dry seasons. They're nice because you can still play/perform with them in. Well, they work better on violins/cellos I guess, because the sound hole of a guitar is so large (so moisture escapes easily). If you're going to continue to store the guitars in the car, I might choose a lighter colored car, and garage it whenever you can.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
If you can swing it, your best bet may be to simply order a new 135i equipped exactly as you want it. I've owned 5 Bimmers (all with MT) and have ordered 4 of them - finding my CPO '07 E91 at a nearby dealer was a stroke of luck.

Tom
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Sejanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
Must be more sticks back East. I did check CPO's and nothing last time I looked within a couple hundred miles. But I do keep checking. Perhaps I should stop checking and get some work done. And just checked again showing 3 in the country. But the BMW site is wrong, as 2 of the 3 list the automatic as an option though I filtered for a manual tranny. And the one with a stick is a color and option package I don't care for....oh well.

A buddy has an '11 Coupe with the 7 speed and though it is responsive and somewhat fun, just isn't the same. For my occassional track sessions I'd want a stick, even if the DCT can outshift me by a hundredths. No doubt it's a good box and at some point might reconsider, but my commute is so easy and I rarely sit in traffic, so rowing the gears is fun.

Thanks all for the input,

Mark
Much more will come up if you check under "all pre-owned". Good luck!

-Morpheus
Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I had to look for a long time to find my MT in a coupe/design that's been around for longer, and so I can imagine how hard it would be with a 135i vert. I've never bought a new car, but if that's what you're planning on, I might suggest ED! I think the ballpark savings are about 7% or something, sometimes more if you catch other promos? Not sure, but worth looking into. Then you can hit the dealerships to see the packages and color combos that you like. Just an idea, and you'll have your MT. Oh you just said CPO now, eh . . . well anyway something has to give eventually, whether travel, patience, ordering . . .

On a side note, it probably doesn't matter too much right now, but storing musical instruments, namely wood acoustic instruments, in a car is a bad idea. Electric, I'm not nearly as concerned about. Probably the most common way these instruments get ruined is by moving them from one extreme climate to another; the rapid expansion/contraction of the wood, and particularly the soundboard (which is definitely the softest wood being used on a guitar, though I believe spruce is about 4x denser than cedar). Another thing to watch out for is the humidity change from moving it from say the humid outdoors to a very dry climate controlled room. If these are super cheap instruments that can't be in tune on their best day, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you ever splurge, I would. You can invest in hygrometers (also with thermometer). I like the battery powered ones, but you have to find replacement batteries at places like Radio Shack.

I used to use this one. During the* driest of the driest Santa Ana's, I saw it hit high teens a couple of times, low teens once, below that it's unreadable. Otherwise, the driest week of a relatively dry year will be high 20s to low 30s from what I recall. I'm sure there are probably better out there now, but it's what I used.

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-H.../dp/B0002D000K

You can also check out the "Dampit" humidifiers for the dry seasons. They're nice because you can still play/perform with them in. Well, they work better on violins/cellos I guess, because the sound hole of a guitar is so large (so moisture escapes easily). If you're going to continue to store the guitars in the car, I might choose a lighter colored car, and garage it whenever you can.
I'm fortunate to have underground parking and the temp is consistently in the 70's down where my car is. The guitar is a very nice Taylor and I'd never leave it out in the sun. My lesson is about 2 minutes from my office, so it's a short drive over and back indoors. Completely agree that if I have to go anywhere with bad weather it isn't in the car...either my office or leave it at home. I don't have anything for humidity and am looking into that...though humidity is something you rarely see out in the San Fernando Valley and it rarely changes.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM

After getting the CPO site working a bit better for me, I see there are 6MT's out in the US, but nothing even close to me. If I found a nice 10 or 11 spec'd close to what I want, it'd be worth a road trip so I'll keep up the search. Frustrating how many dealers list them as manuals, and then show the auto as an option. Many times I thought I'd hit nirvana and disappointed once I saw the details. Will probably go talk to a dealer this weekend and see what kind of deal I can do on an order, as it'd probably be faster than hunting. I can't find another car with this performance and price point, so may need to find some patience...
Old 11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Will probably go talk to a dealer this weekend and see what kind of deal I can do on an order, as it'd probably be faster than hunting.
Another plus is you don't have to pay for options you don't want. That alone can save thousands vs. taking a car from dealer stock.

There are forum sponsors in SoCal that should be able to get you a decent discount on an ordered car.

European Delivery??
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 PM

I may've found an '11 with all the options I'd like. it's across the country, but local dealership should be able to bring it over. But before I do anything, any reason I should hold out for a '12 v. '11 assuming equal options? The '11 is a bit less $'s msrp and thinking I can work a better deal, but if the '12 has any advantages might still be better to order and wait, and wait, and wait....

Thanks,

mg
Old 11-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Sejanus

With the `11 someone else has already paid for the depreciation.

-Morpheus
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post

Tom
Tom, I can fit my Les Paul in the trunk of my E46 vert by opening the ski pass through - DRZ MazJr 18 has to ride in the back seat though

I did transport my Novation Supernova 2 64 key (rip) to its grave from the trunk of the E46 no prob.

Needless to say, these aren't the best cars for gigs, but thanks to the traditional ragtop design, still offer a surprising amount of practicality.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)

Last edited by EdCT; 11-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
With the `11 someone else has already paid for the depreciation.
The '11 I found is new at a dealer...5 miles on it. So don't have that advantage but still hoping they'll want to get rid of it quicker than a '12. According to Edmunds, KBB etc it should go out for a few thousand less.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Sejanus

I've observed several `11 135i (convertible) executive and demo cars being sold at dealers in the $37K - $42K range if that helps.

-Morpheus
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 AM

I did spot a dealer demo in Texas, which is a lot closer than the other new one I found but it's black on black. yes, it's beautiful but here in sunny Socal white is a lot more practical. At least finding some options to consider. The TX one isn't certified, but I guess for a dealer demo that makes some sense and I'd have the balance of the factory warranty anyways.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Sejanus

Alpine White is a very nice colour...see my 7 Series for example! The one issue I have with white is, at least in the area in which I live, it provides the perfect "canvas" for tar specs. I'm often using Turtle Wax's Bug and Tar Remover after I've finished washing my 7 to remove the specs of tar that the tyres throw onto the sides of the car. Other than that, it's an easy colour to care for and it goes particularly good, I think, with the lines of the 1 Series.

Good luck with your search!

-Morpheus
Old 11-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
I did spot a dealer demo in Texas, which is a lot closer than the other new one I found but it's black on black. yes, it's beautiful but here in sunny Socal white is a lot more practical. At least finding some options to consider. The TX one isn't certified, but I guess for a dealer demo that makes some sense and I'd have the balance of the factory warranty anyways.
Think hard before getting a demo. Who knows how many hard test drives it has had without being properly warmed up? Or how hard it was driven if also given out as a loaner?

I would think a low mileage 1 owner car would be better than a demo.

IMO get the new one with 5 miles on it.

Last edited by Norm37; 11-07-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Think hard before getting a demo. Who knows how many hard test drives it has had without being properly warmed up? Or how hard it was driven if also given out as a loaner?

I would think a low mileage 1 owner car would be better than a demo.

IMO get the new one with 5 miles on it.
Agreed...I am psycho when it comes to worrying about such things, so kidding myself if I thought I'd be o.k. getting a demo.

I spent some time with a local dealer last night, and scouring the country did not find my car even if I was willing to pay shipping. There is the '11 2200 miles from me, but the cost to bring it in would be better spent on options I want and leasing residual on '11 v. '12 stinks.

So it's back to the decision of ordering and waiting, or moving on. I really think this car will work for me, so getting ever closer to just putting in the order...
Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Sejanus

Agree...sounds like you should go ahead and place an order for the car to your specifications.

-Morpheus
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Agreed...I am psycho when it comes to worrying about such things, so kidding myself if I thought I'd be o.k. getting a demo.

I spent some time with a local dealer last night, and scouring the country did not find my car even if I was willing to pay shipping. There is the '11 2200 miles from me, but the cost to bring it in would be better spent on options I want and leasing residual on '11 v. '12 stinks.

So it's back to the decision of ordering and waiting, or moving on. I really think this car will work for me, so getting ever closer to just putting in the order...
Is it a BMW? Is it running? So how bad could it be?