Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
It may not be the diff.

But my point was that ths is NOT normal.

I was saying that this part:

was NOT correct.
Sorry for any missunderstanding, I was agreeing with you when I wrote that I was being sceptical. I was sceptical of what that person has told me is what I ment by my answer.

Thank you for clarifying the smg display. I was under the impression that my system was confused with the programing that had been done on it.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 E46 M3
My clunking is GONE!!!

Turns out that the clunk was due to innapropriate oil in the rear diff. I now have the correct viscocity and the clunk is no more!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 M3
Upadate!!

so i havent been able to figure out what going on so emailed BMW USA and they said that most likly its the subframe and that if i take it to a dealer and they inspect it and it turns out that thats what it is they said they will pay for it crazy i know so i guess ill go and see what it is ..... btw today i did a quick u turn and i felt some nasty sound and resistance from the back end freaked the hekkk out of me now idk what it could be
Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, 09 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarMiG View Post
so i havent been able to figure out what going on so emailed BMW USA and they said that most likly its the subframe and that if i take it to a dealer and they inspect it and it turns out that thats what it is they said they will pay for it crazy i know so i guess ill go and see what it is ..... btw today i did a quick u turn and i felt some nasty sound and resistance from the back end freaked the hekkk out of me now idk what it could be
Your car sounds just like mine, clunk and same noise when doing a u turn. My car is lowered so i wonder if its rubbing. Did you check your guibo on your drive shaft, i heard that could add to clunking. Im gonna change mine to see if that helps. Also what exactly did you email to BMW USA that they agreed to replace your subframe if its the problem.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymer750 View Post
Your car sounds just like mine, clunk and same noise when doing a u turn. My car is lowered so i wonder if its rubbing. Did you check your guibo on your drive shaft, i heard that could add to clunking. Im gonna change mine to see if that helps. Also what exactly did you email to BMW USA that they agreed to replace your subframe if its the problem.
yes my guibo is perfectly new and mine is as low as you can possibly get it i have ground control full suspension but my clunk just isnt normal and the sound when i u turn is like a grinding sound not good sounds like something doesnt have oil or something. yea pretty much like i said it BMW has agreed to pay for it IF, IF, its the subframe i just have to get a dealer to verify that thats what it is and they will contact BMW and so on
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 05 m3 05 545i
If you feel resistance when you turn then it is the diff. Either need fluid service or a new diff. It should be smooth and no resistance.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3 Convertible SMG
I have the loud "thud" in the rear also, but only occurs when I am in Manual Mode under HEAVY acceleration and occurs when I shift from 1st to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd, after that no Thud.
Any ideas on this one.....