Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Excessive oil consumption

So I'm starting to get a little irritated at how much oil my 550 is burning. In the last 6k I've had to add 1 quart of oil three times. In other words it is burning a quart every 2,000 miles. I've read some people posting about having to add oil before but this much?? I've never owned a new car that burned any oil much less at this rate. Anyone else having this issue? Oh btw the car has 9120 miles and I put 3100 in Europe during my ED. When I was to have redelivery I had the dealer do an oil change and was gonna change the oil every 7.5k
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
I have noticed an unusually high consumption too. I changed my oil at 2000 kms (right after break-in) and had the indicator at 3/4. Now, 3000 kms later (~1900 miles) the level went down to 1/2. Not sure how accurate the sensor is, but I was slightly concerned. My E46 did not burn oil at all even at 120k miles (I never had to add it between very infrequent changes). Maybe it's specific to some new technology of engines?
Old 11-12-2011, 05:27 PM

I don't think I'd even pass emissions burning this much. And the biggest issue I have with it is that oil in the combustion chamber lowers the effective octane considerably.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
This was a hot topic back in September.

F10 Oil Addition Poll

How often do you get a quart down?

Poll: how often do you get a quart down?

Down a quart

My car now has over 10k miles on the original oil and I haven't needed to add any yet. I've been told I'm one of the lucky ones.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM

Ah thanks for those links apparently it's not that uncommon then, I'm pretty amazed at the poor quality control of these motors given how highly regarded German engineering supposedly is. I've seen drag motors with huge piston to wall clearances that don't burn this much. Also when I took my car to the dealership for the fuel sensor recall I got to talking with a tech and he was telling me to get the oil changed every 5k or so but he told me not at the dealer due to the cost. I started lol and asked him about the recommended 15k interval and he said that was correct but I had to remember that the engineers designed the engine with a life span of 100k and that if I planned on going beyond that I'd better think about changing it sooner. Then the other day on another forum i saw a thread where they were talking about the new M5 and a guy who said he was a mastertech at BMW said he'd replaced 2 sets of N63 turbos because the oil had turned to sludge from too long an interval.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Interesting to hear that from a BMW tech. Steve Dinan puts BMW drivetrain life at 150-200k miles before an overhaul is needed. Based on that, design life should be much longer. Maybe the tech was thinking in terms of the 100kmi CPO warranty which drives the manufacturer to design a drivetrain to be nearly problem-free for the first 100kmi to limit their warranty expense. Failing turbos can become an unexpected warranty headache, but given BMW's experience with the HPFP failures, maybe they are prepared for big warranty expenses. Did the Mastertech say how many miles were on those turbos?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
Just got the message on Thanksgiving that oil was at the minimum. Had the dealer add a quart on Friday. I'm at about 3,300 miles. We'll have to see if this becomes a regular experience.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:05 PM

Hadn't checked back on this thread in a while. I'm fairly certain it's pretty common on the N63's as I've been on other forums of cars who have that motor besides the F10 and alot of people complaining about the oil. I don't care about adding oil as long as the motor is running alright which it is. Oh and I've been PMing with that mastertech and he said one of the turbos had 26k miles and had only one oil change on them.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:01 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
Hadn't checked back on this thread in a while. I'm fairly certain it's pretty common on the N63's as I've been on other forums of cars who have that motor besides the F10 and alot of people complaining about the oil. I don't care about adding oil as long as the motor is running alright which it is. Oh and I've been PMing with that mastertech and he said one of the turbos had 26k miles and had only one oil change on them.
Thanks for the update. Did the MasterTech say where he found the sludge? Was it in the intercooler, by chance? Based on Calgary Agent's post below, I wonder if the cars that are consuming oil are more or less likely to have the turbo issues.

Calgary Agent's Comments

Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Thanks for the update. Did the MasterTech say where he found the sludge? Was it in the intercooler, by chance? Based on Calgary Agent's post below, I wonder if the cars that are consuming oil are more or less likely to have the turbo issues.

Calgary Agent's Comments
I'll ask but I know my motor isn't blowing any oil through the turbo into the IC as I pulled the outlet hose off the turbo and found it to be absolutely dry. No oily feel in the hose whatsoever and the intercooler side was just as clean from what I could see with a flashlight. I think either the Piston to wall clearances aren't very tight or the valve stem seals suck on this motor. Alot of it has to do with the thin oil on start up and how hot the motor runs normally I think. I notice no smoke to very little on normal driving but when I push it(I do it alot) when I slow down or come to a stop I blows a good bit of smoke. Again the fact I've got no cats and the eisenmann race allow more of the smoke to reach me unfiltered but based on the many comments from a broad spectrum of N63's I guess this engine just burns alot of oil. Also I could probably reduce it some on start up if I went with the 5w-30 but I prefer the M1 0w-40.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Today, during a pedal-to-the-metal event my "add a quart of oil" warning light came on. I had checked the oil level only yesterday and it was at 1/3 quart left before the warning level. Considering how much other engines are using oil, I made out alright by going 10,885 miles before I needed to add any oil.

Anyway, I dropped by the dealer and the SA just added a quart without doing any paperwork. In fact, two other SAs, a CA, and mechanic spent some time gawking at my car. My SA was impressed with my snow tire/wheel combo and suggested I must like to have some serious fun with my car in the winter. I told him I liked to have serious all year round.

Since I drive 19kmi/yr, I might just start doing oil changes every 9500 miles to keep from getting alarms and perhaps avoid the turbo issues jimefam has mentioned above. I'll order a Blackstone kit and try to get a sample before my upcoming service to get Dinan springs and maybe, dare I say it, even an oil change. Hopefully that will make some Fesrters happy.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Today, during a pedal-to-the-metal event my "add a quart of oil" warning light came on. I had checked the oil level only yesterday and it was at 1/3 quart left before the warning level. Considering how much other engines are using oil, I made out alright by going 10,885 miles before I needed to add any oil.

Anyway, I dropped by the dealer and the SA just added a quart without doing any paperwork. In fact, two other SAs, a CA, and mechanic spent some time gawking at my car. My SA was impressed with my snow tire/wheel combo and suggested I must like to have some serious fun with my car in the winter. I told him I liked to have serious all year round.

Since I drive 19kmi/yr, I might just start doing oil changes every 9500 miles to keep from getting alarms and perhaps avoid the turbo issues jimefam has mentioned above. I'll order a Blackstone kit and try to get a sample before my upcoming service to get Dinan springs and maybe, dare I say it, even an oil change. Hopefully that will make some Fesrters happy.
1. They have snow in Maryland? (actually, I know you guys had a bad storm last year.)

2. I do 7500 on mine. One on me, one on them. 9500 seems like an odd number, since they will do one every 15.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
1. They have snow in Maryland? (actually, I know you guys had a bad storm last year.)

2. I do 7500 on mine. One on me, one on them. 9500 seems like an odd number, since they will do one every 15.
My computer is indicating 18kmi between oil changes, so it would end up being every 11.4 months between oil changes based upon my annual mileage. So 9.5k would be twice per year. I changed the oil on my last two cars at 13kmi, so 9.5kmi will be on the short-side for me. If I didn't do Dinan Stage 1 & II and most likely a CAI, I probably would have stayed with the OEM recommendations, but 500-525hp & my driving style is putting more stress on the engine.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:25 PM

I wouldn't go by the computer indicator too much. I'm aware that it's supposed to monitor the quality of the oil and make adjustments to the service interval based on that but I've got 11,700 miles and have had two oil changes(one dealer, one myself) when I started driving the car back in Europe it had an oil change required at 18k and even with the two changes the oil changes still tells me it's due in 6,2xx miles(I've got 11,7xx now) so even though the oil has been changed twice it still recommends I get it changed in 6,200 miles. I don't think it is very precise in measuring the quality of the oil.

It probably will ask for an oil change if something were to get into the oil. Seeing as mycar gets driven to the redline daily and I own it and plan on keeping it for a long while I'll use my judgement rather than depend on that sensor. Another thing I noticed is that it burns a hell of alot more oil when I'm beating on it than in regular use. I just had an oil change at 9,500 and drove it down for TG to Miami and back to Atlanta. I've put almost 2,500 miles that were all highway miles or easy city miles since I had family on board, and in those miles the oil hasn't gone down a drop(at least according to the sensor) whereas before it never made it 2,000 without asking for oil but I usually beat on it at all times.

Last edited by jimefam; 11-28-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
I wouldn't go by the computer indicator too much. I'm aware that it's supposed to monitor the quality of the oil and make adjustments to the service interval based on that but I've got 11,700 miles and have had two oil changes(one dealer, one myself) when I started driving the car back in Europe it had an oil change required at 18k and even with the two changes the oil changes still tells me it's due in 6,2xx miles(I've got 11,7xx now) so even though the oil has been changed twice it still recommends I get it changed in 6,200 miles. I don't think it is very precise in measuring the quality of the oil.

It probably will ask for an oil change if something were to get into the oil. Seeing as mycar gets driven to the redline daily and I own it and plan on keeping it for a long while I'll use my judgement rather than depend on that sensor. Another thing I noticed is that it burns a hell of alot more oil when I'm beating on it than in regular use. I just had an oil change at 9,500 and drove it down for TG to Miami and back to Atlanta. I've put almost 2,500 miles that were all highway miles or easy city miles since I had family on board, and in those miles the oil hasn't gone down a drop(at least according to the sensor) whereas before it never made it 2,000 without asking for oil but I usually beat on it at all times.
I believe if your oil registers as clean, the max interval remains at 18kmi. It looks like your computer wasn't reset with your oil changes, so with clean oil it stay at 18kmi until reset.

It's good to hear that your oil consumption might not be as bad under less aggressive driving conditions. After a couple days at the track, I noticed a pretty good drop in my oil level.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550ix M Sport
Mine has been using a quart every 4k miles. SA says it's normal and not to worry. Nephew is an Audi mechanic and he says it's not an issue either. Says it has to do with the tolerances in the cylinders and the groves used to trap the oil in the cylinder walls to keep the rings lubricated. Most of what he said seemed to make sense to me, but I'm no engine expert...:-).
Old 02-21-2012, 10:15 PM

An update on my experience. I added a quart in November, and I just added another quart today. Got the message on Saturday. I have around 6,000 miles. Funnily enough, when I pulled in to the service bay there was a 750i with an N63 that was having his oil topped off too.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 AM

As for me I think the motor has finally broken in well and the oil consumption is WAY down. It's been about 4,000 miles since my last oil change and the oil level still shows 3/4 full which if you read my earlier issues I was burning 1qt/2k miles. And this has been with 1 day at the drag strip where I must have made 15 passes and me beating on it at all times. I think the issue was how easy I was on break in with the motor(as per break in procedures) as when we've built race motors they get ran hard as soon as the oil reaches temp the first time and the rings seat beautifully. Another thing is for break in we never run synthetic, just put it on an engine dyno and run it for 30-40 mins then switch oils to whatever we plan on using long term. Anyways it seems happier now.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:57 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
As for me I think the motor has finally broken in well and the oil consumption is WAY down. It's been about 4,000 miles since my last oil change and the oil level still shows 3/4 full which if you read my earlier issues I was burning 1qt/2k miles. And this has been with 1 day at the drag strip where I must have made 15 passes and me beating on it at all times. I think the issue was how easy I was on break in with the motor(as per break in procedures) as when we've built race motors they get ran hard as soon as the oil reaches temp the first time and the rings seat beautifully. Another thing is for break in we never run synthetic, just put it on an engine dyno and run it for 30-40 mins then switch oils to whatever we plan on using long term. Anyways it seems happier now.
My last three cars, none of which had oil burning issues, have been driven hard on the Autobahn from day one, but I won't recommend that to anyone, since it goes against what is recommended in the manual.

BTW, Automobile Magazine, just completed their long-term 535i review and they didn't get their first oil change until 21,756 miles as directed by the computer. They didn't add any oil either.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Paint polishing expert

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
1/4 times?

5w-40 M1 turbo truck diesel is more robust then the 0w-40 from M1.

14 Tesla S85 Model S

Previous BMWs
12 535i GT DSMB/Cinnamon Welt 1/31/2012
11 335is SGM
99 740il-sold 52k-157k
94 540ia-sold 98k-155k
93 740il-sold 92k-147k
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmblack3 View Post
1/4 times?

5w-40 M1 turbo truck diesel is more robust then the 0w-40 from M1.
Well last time out best was iirc 13.1@109 best overall is 13.007@109 at silverdollar. I change oil every 7.5k miles so should be alright but next oil change I may run the 0w 50 mobil 1 I used in my drag car for a while as it worked very well.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 PM

Looks like I've got a real oil burner. I'm getting the low warning again. So for me, September delivery. Added oil in November, February, and now April.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
For what it is worth to you, 50.000 kms, 8000 to go to second oil change, not a drop of oil added, electronic readings at full all the time.
Castrol 5w30, are you interested in a foto of the dipstick?

Last edited by Sophisto; 04-22-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 PM
infd323

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
I just hit 9,100 miles and had the oil warning come on for the first time. Not too bad.

One thing I noticed was that my oil was at 100% in July last year (delivery) and went down to 90% through ~December. It was during the relatively cold months in NC that it dropped the remaining 90%. In the mornings when the car was cold, after the car warmed up and I mashed the throttle for the first time a billow of smoke would come out on the first run, apparently burning off the excess oil. Later in the day when I restarted it, and it was warmer, It wouldn't do it again.

I'm wondering if the oil loss is correlated to colder climates and very cold initial starting temps? Won't explain everyone's, but could be a portion of it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Is our excessive oil consumption problem a defect?

Volvo and Subaru are catching the attention of this firm for same: www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress

(March 19th and February 27th articles)