Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-24-2014, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0i, 2011 550i
Drivetrain Malfunction

While driving home in my 2011 550i (only 29k miles) 3 weeks ago, had the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction light come on with the engine shaking badly. Restarting the engine cleared the light and the car appeared back to normal. No problem since then. Still had the dealer check it out, and just got back the car. Misfire code on 2 cylinders. The dealer replaced all fuel injectors on bank 2, supposedly with new design injectors. I suspect the injectors on the other bank (which are original) might be on borrowed time. Should I be concerned? Anything else to watch out for, adversely affected by bad injectors? (I doubt them went bad suddenly, rather over some time).
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
I just had the same issue with my 11 550. My dealer went ahead and replaced all eight injectors. Light came back on 2 days ago and I have an appointment on Tuesday. Wondering if my Dinan stage 3 had anything to do with it. Have you modded your ecu as well?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Sorry for the pic. It's from the dealership where I bought the car.

2011 550i M Sport
Jet Black with Beige Dakota Leather
Dinan Stage 2 Engine Tune
Dinan Shockware Tune
Hoen Yellow Fog Lights
Old 01-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: '11 550i sport/prem2 pack
Mine also came and the engine was sputtering. It went away after two re-starts. I have an appointment for Monday. Will let you know what the dealer says.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert, s4 avant,
Quote:
Originally Posted by f10-newbie View Post
mine also came and the engine was sputtering. It went away after two re-starts. I have an appointment for monday. Will let you know what the dealer says.
the reason i got rid of this car...and the run flat bubbles!

I had dinan stage 2 but bmw said not related
Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
This is plaguing a lot of people's 550's. I went through this a few months ago...8 injectors were replaced and plugs. Car runs rough, smells like it's burning fuel in the cats, and has a quiet but distinct tapping sound.

Still waiting for answers and a correction going on 5 months. I have 11,400 miles.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
This is plaguing a lot of people's 550's. I went through this a few months ago...8 injectors were replaced and plugs. Car runs rough, smells like it's burning fuel in the cats, and has a quiet but distinct tapping sound.

Still waiting for answers and a correction going on 5 months. I have 11,400 miles.
Same issue with sputtering idle and "rotten egg" smell from the exhaust around 18K miles, the dealer kept the car for 1 1/2 day and replaced the entire fuel injection.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM

Dropped off mine this morning at the dealership. I'll let you know what they say or do...
Old 01-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
We had drivetrain malfunction last month, turned out to be the low pressure fuel pump. Thank god for warranties!

Ours has already had the fuel injectors replaced btw

2011 550i Sport, premium, Dark Graphite
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 12 550xi
with what my car has had...drivetrain malfunction warning and the dealer replaced all injectors and plugs, it seemed they did the shotgun approach.

the cats stink like sulfur. the car is either still dumping raw fuel and/or the cats are damaged.

the acceleration is off. the tapping/ticking sound has been constant since the replacement with the latest fuel injectors. with how violently the car ran when it was restarted by dealer it seems that there may be something more to this. car has only been fueled with 93. dealer's response has been very, very slow.

hopefully they can fix it.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:33 PM

So picked up my car from the dealer today and their response to the drive train malfunction was:"Replaced all injectors on bank 1. Injectors 1,2,3 seized in cylinder head. Removed and calibrated all injectors". Looking forward to see how it starts tomorrow morning.

They also found a crank case vent pipe that was not properly secured. That was supposedly the cause for a P0175 code.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto:
I just got my first ever Bimmer, and i am already having issues. I have a 2011 535I with 50,000 miles. The first problem was the "Driveaxle Malfunction Fault" followed by the warning. If that wasnt bad enough, now the "Check Engine" light is on and the car wont start. Has anyone ever experience anything like this.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i XDrive
Drivetrain Malfunction

I got the infamous "drivetrain malfunction" this afternoon on my way home from work. I was just accelerating towards the highway when an audible ding was heard followed by the iDrive message (see photo).Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1405574892.940688.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	452230

Although I noticed the car didn't have the usual get up and go, I didn't notice it idling or running rough. I pulled into an empty road a few kms later and shut off the engine for a few minutes hoping it would reset & faults, but with no luck. I drove it home after contacting my local bmw dealership. I was told that they would need the car to diagnose, but it would be a few weeks before they can book me in. Lucky for me I already have a scheduled appointment for Aug. 11 for some routine maintenance work. But the advisor said if the car gets a little worse or if I don't feel comfortable driving it, then I can drop it off with them & it would be wait listed & I would get a loaner until it's fixed. So I have it parked in the garage as we speak. I'm hoping tomorrow will bring better results. I still want to have the issue looked at. But at the same time, I hate driving my car knowing there's a malfunction error. The weather did reach 31 degrees today and the car was parked in the hot sun. I'm not sure if the heat contributed to the fault message. I also had my AC and radio on on my drive home.

Note: I did notice my car would smoke if I don't drive it for a few days. The smoke and it's unique smell would only last a few seconds. I was told by another bimmer friend that is common for the f10 which is typically linked to injector issues. Also, I was away last week on holidays so the car sat in the garage without being started for about 7 days. I did expect and saw the usual smoke come out of the tail pipe for a few seconds when I started it about a week later. I was also expecting a battery error to come up but was pleasantly surprised when I didn't see any error come up related to the battery.

So, could the drivetrain malfunction error be related to:
- fuel pump
- fuel injectors
- battery
- all of the above

Thoughts?

Last edited by RebelUnit; 07-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto:
Thats such a coincidence, because i got the same fault heading home from work yesterday. I was about to accelerate when i got the fault. I drove for the next 20 mins at a moderate speed until i got home. I drove it to work this morning without any issues. I am hoping it resets itself, because im not planning on going to the dealer anytime soon. Four months ago when i got the fault with the check engine light, the dealer performed the recall for the venos bolts, and i didnt have any issues until now. I hope i dont have any more problems.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM

The drivetrain malfunction was still active when I went to work this morning. I've since contacted my local dealership in my city and made arrangements with them to drop off the car so the problem can be looked at. In the meantime, I'll be getting a loaner car to drive around in until BMW has figured out and repaired my baby. Although the car is not showing any signs of rough idle or acceleration, I didn't want to take a chance of driving it 60km to and from work everyday until my scheduled appointment in mid August. The service advisor agreed with my sentiments and made the necessary documents for the techs to read through as well reserving a loaner car for me to use. I just hope it's nothing to serious but will update you all once I know more from the BMW techs.

Last edited by RebelUnit; 07-17-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i Xdrive
I reversed out of the my garage this morning and as soon as I put it in drive this error came up with no adverse effects. I simply shut the car off and restarted and had no issues driving to work. Kind of strange but being my 5th BMW I shrugged it off easily lol.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Driver View Post
I reversed out of the my garage this morning and as soon as I put it in drive this error came up with no adverse effects. I simply shut the car off and restarted and had no issues driving to work. Kind of strange but being my 5th BMW I shrugged it off easily lol.
Although I have been an avid fan of BMW, my 535ix is my first bimmer ever. Having come from owning countless japanese cars, I'm not used to seeing this kind malfunction error come up on any of the cars I've driven whether it be new or 3 years old hahaha. I know it's comparing apples to oranges and I knew the risk of owning a preowned BMW. That's why I've made sure I have the extended warranty for when the BMW one runs out. Don't get me wrong, I do like my bimmer alot and have no regrets for jumping brands. I'm not too concerned about this particular error as I know it's covered regardless. It's just strange to see the issue on an uber car when compared to the less uber cars I've owned in the past. Hopefully, I'll get used to any future malfunction messages that come up and shrug it off just like you... maybe someday
Old 07-17-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelUnit View Post
Although I have been an avid fan of BMW, my 535ix is my first bimmer ever. Having come from owning countless japanese cars, I'm not used to seeing this kind malfunction error come up on any of the cars I've driven whether it be new or 3 years old hahaha. I know it's comparing apples to oranges and I knew the risk of owning a preowned BMW. That's why I've made sure I have the extended warranty for when the BMW one runs out. Don't get me wrong, I do like my bimmer alot and have no regrets for jumping brands. I'm not too concerned about this particular error as I know it's covered regardless. It's just strange to see the issue on an uber car when compared to the less uber cars I've owned in the past. Hopefully, I'll get used to any future malfunction messages that come up and shrug it off just like you... maybe someday
I think the issue are these cars are overly cautious and give the drivers too much feedback in comparison to say a Japanese car which may monitor the same parameter but hides the fault for only a technician to see.

If you aren't aware the reason a lot of these guys have a vibration or odd running engine during these malfunctions is the vehicle going into limp mode/reduced power mode to prevent any further damage. The mode usually creates more scare than the actual problem that activated the fail safe.

Even having a CPO/Maintenance plan on my own car I don't plan on taking it in on something turning the car off and back on remedies... now if I see the issue again in a week or so I'll probably give them a call.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: F01 750i
It's not just the 550's...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=642316
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS-BMW View Post
Good find, I did some digging on F10 "Updated Injectors" and a lot of comments about these being the remedy for their rough idle CEL's.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Sadly my 2012 550xi is no stranger to the engine malfunction warning/check engine light and limp home mode while sputtering and shaking and stalling. I have had my fuel injectors replaced twice so far. I too have Dinan Stage 2 but these issues were not found to be caused by that.

My car, unlike my departed E39 540 and E60 550, is not reliable. I look forward to turning it in at the end of its lease in February 2015. Way too much time at the dealer with these and other problems (turbo coolant lines, water pump, turbo cooling pump and more) and time in loaners.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 07-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Have you guys tried this. Warm up your car (prepare for high revs). Deactivate DSC. Then find a stretch that you can redline. For me, this trips the drivetrain malfunction every single time and with engine sputtering. Turning the car off and on resets it.

Update: Brought my car in and they found that one of the ignition coils has gone bad and they will be replacing it under warranty. Will see how it goes when I get it back.

Last edited by douggie; 07-20-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggie View Post
Have you guys tried this. Warm up your car (prepare for high revs). Deactivate DSC. Then find a stretch that you can redline. For me, this trips the drivetrain malfunction every single time and with engine sputtering. Turning the car off and on resets it.

Update: Brought my car in and they found that one of the ignition coils has gone bad and they will be replacing it under warranty. Will see how it goes when I get it back.
Good to know thanks for the update!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto:
I just got back my car from the dealer after like 3 days, and i was told that they performed test and there was no vacuum from pressure control converter for the turbo. They were quoting me a price of like $700 to replace the converter, and they were not 100% certain this would solve the problem. They say this was just a starting point to troubleshoot the problem. I decided to take the car without fixing it, because im currently out of warranty. The car drives fine, no shaking, rackling or vibration. Has anyone ever changed one of these converter and how difficult is it to change.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenroymaitland View Post
I just got back my car from the dealer after like 3 days, and i was told that they performed test and there was no vacuum from pressure control converter for the turbo. They were quoting me a price of like $700 to replace the converter, and they were not 100% certain this would solve the problem. They say this was just a starting point to troubleshoot the problem. I decided to take the car without fixing it, because im currently out of warranty. The car drives fine, no shaking, rackling or vibration. Has anyone ever changed one of these converter and how difficult is it to change.

Funny I just was looking at ECS's site a few days ago under turbocharger for the heck of it and came across the part. Since you said turbo vs turbos I'm assuming its a 535? Either way a link for each. Less than $150 I think I'd tackle it myself.

535i
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F10-535...ger/ES2498187/

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-F10-550...ger/ES2498186/
Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks, i think that might be what i am looking for. The dealer calls it a pressure converter, but i cant find it anywhere online. I was wondering if maybe it has another name. They cost $200 at the dealer, plus $300 for labor. I think i am going to tackle it myself. Thanks for the help.