Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5 Series (F10)
Unhappy iPod Classic problems

Hi there, im new to the forum, but have lurked a few times looking for info.

I recieved my new 5 Series Tourer a few weeks ago. I plugged in my old iPod Classic using the white Apple cable, & everything has worked just fine.

The iPod tends to live in the car. I looked at the display on it recently though, when waiting for my son to come out of the dentist, & i would see a BMW logo on the screen of the iPod . . . cool . . obviously something to do with the connection with the car.

Suddenly though, this weekend, the car is no-longer recognising the iPod. I've not taken it out, or done anything to it . . it just stopped recognising it.

I've had the iPod out today, reset it (held the Menu & middle buttons), etc . . but still no joy ?

Wierd . . how can it have worked perfectly for weeks, but now is 'having none of it'.

Really really frustrated with it, as i spend a lot of time in the car, & rely on my iPod for sanity.

Please help !!!
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550iX GT
I have had the same issue multiple times. Just reset the iPod and all will be well until the next time.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:39 AM

When you say 'reset the iPod', do you mean pressing the Menu & the middle button together until you see the Apple sign ? I've tried that today, & no joy.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM

Yes, that's exactly it. The link will be reestablished with the iPod
Old 11-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Wipe it out with iTunes and reload the music...his will almost certainly fix it...
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 AM

I've completely wiped the iPod back to factory settings, & re-sync'd it. I'll feedback on whether this sorts it in a little while . . . . .
Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
There are other threads on this issue. My solution was to buy an iPod touch. There were just too many problems with the classic. I have had no problems since making the switch.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRMESQ View Post
There are other threads on this issue. My solution was to buy an iPod touch. There were just too many problems with the classic. I have had no problems since making the switch.
Were you having problems with the Classic before switching to the Touch ?

I wiped my Classic yesterday, reset back to facory settings, then re-sync'd. Stil no joy. Then after some fiddling-around, it started to work last night, but when i got in the car this morning, it wasnt recognising it again . . . so annoyed . . .

I did briefly try my son's Nano last night, as i was going through a process of elimination, & that didnt seem to be recognised either. My concern is whether the Classic has somehow corrupted something in the car now ? Or, if i go buy a Touch today, will my problems all be solved . . . . . .

I suppose there's only one way to find out . . . . . . . just so frustrating though . . how can it work perfectly for 3 weeks, then stop working ?????????
Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 750i x drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisman View Post
Were you having problems with the Classic before switching to the Touch ?

I wiped my Classic yesterday, reset back to facory settings, then re-sync'd. Stil no joy. Then after some fiddling-around, it started to work last night, but when i got in the car this morning, it wasnt recognising it again . . . so annoyed . . .

I did briefly try my son's Nano last night, as i was going through a process of elimination, & that didnt seem to be recognised either. My concern is whether the Classic has somehow corrupted something in the car now ? Or, if i go buy a Touch today, will my problems all be solved . . . . . .

I suppose there's only one way to find out . . . . . . . just so frustrating though . . how can it work perfectly for 3 weeks, then stop working ?????????
There is nothing wrong with my iPod classic. It is just not compatible with the F10. The iPod classic would intermittently not remain charged while in the F10 and would have to be recharged after several weeks. Other times, the iPod classic intermittently would freeze up while in the F10 and would have to be wiped & restored through iTunes. Your experience with the iPod classic working for three weeks and then it stops working is the same/similar way I experienced the problem. I purchased an iPod touch and have had no further problems. My classic works (no longer use in the F10), my iPod touch works (in and out of the F10), and I have no iPod related problems in the F10 other than the display of the iTunes library on the NAV screen was slow, but this is not that bad since downloading the most current updates to the iPod from iTunes.

2014 750ix M Sport
Old 11-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i xDrive
i had the same problem, so i just switched it to an ipod touch and it's all good.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 320d Touring
I bought an iPod classic to hook up to my F11. iPod touch wouldn't be right for me, as I wanted the big storage, and paying for a slick UI that I won't be using seemed wrong.

It works well, other than the iPod has been occaisionally losing connection to the iDrive. Irritating.
It seemed to be provoked by changing tracks, playlists or flicking on the random setting on the iDrive.

I wondered whether it was caused by having the shuffle and repeat settings turned on on the iPod - i.e. the song list getting updated in two directions. So I turned shuffle and repeat off on the iPod, and (so far) I can't get it to crash, even under repeated flicking and playlist changing.

Fingers crossed, but thought I'd share it.

June 2010 F11 530d SE. Combox running MX-003.004.031. Current model iPod classic.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i M Sport
Ive had the same issues with my iPod classic.

This seems to occur most frequently when my entire song list is selected (6000+ songs) and I have selected random in iDrive. iPod will ususally work fine for a while, but for no apparent reason will freeze. iDrive screen will show iPod not connceted, but face of iPod will show BMW logo appearing connected and indicating song that is "playing".

Resetting iPod willl fix it, but I find that the car must be shut down, car must cycle off - computers shut down, then when restarted iPod will then reconnect and work.

Ive also noticed when trouble shooting this after Ive unfrozen the ipod that the settings have changed, the replay whole Ipod is selected to yes.....somehow the BMW Combox or iPod made this change . I always then turn it off, but its on again when I check.

So what the heck is gong on? is this a BMW or Apple issue?
2011 550i : Alpine White l Black Dakota l Anthracite wood:M Sport pkg l Sport Trans l Active steering l Conven pkg l Driver asst pkg l Prem pkg 2 l 4 zone AC l Side/Top view cameras l HUD w/6wa ext blk pnl l BMW Media adptr /apps l M Decklid Spoiler l Clear Bra l V1 Radar; Ordered 4/9/11, Delivered 5/21/11

Retired BMW's;
-2008 550i MSport: deep Sea Blue/ Black, Loaded
-2005 545i : Silver Gray/ Auburn, Loaded
-1993 3215iA : Jet Black/ Black, Loaded[/FONT]

Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
I wondered whether it was caused by having the shuffle and repeat settings turned on on the iPod - i.e. the song list getting updated in two directions. So I turned shuffle and repeat off on the iPod, and (so far) I can't get it to crash, even under repeated flicking and playlist changing.

Fingers crossed, but thought I'd share it.

My plan at the weekend was to head out & buy an iPod Touch. But just before heading-out i saw this reply so tried it. I didnt have 'shuffle' selected, but 'repeat' was selected, so i switched it off . . . . . . . so far so good . . . everything is working again !!

If this turns out to be a fix, you are a legend, & just saved me a couple of hundred smackeroonies !!!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:57 PM

I tried the suggested fix and had a lockup.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikez38 View Post
I tried the suggested fix and had a lockup.

Hmmmm mine is still working, but it worked for a few weeks initially. I'll keep you posted if it all goes pear-shaped again.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 320d Touring
Fix didn't work - well, it sorted it for a while, but it's now crashed again. I'm now trying my wife's current model Nano in the BMW to see if that's any more reliable (and my Classic in her Golf).

I've started e-mail correspondence with BMW Customer Services in UK. So far, they've suggested taking it to the dealer for them to investigate. Can't see where that will get me...
Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 AM
BMW Freak

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I've been using my 60G iPod classic for about 6 months and I've never had a problem. I sync the iPod to the car using the black Y cable. The only time that I take my iPod off the car is to sync new songs, other than that it sleeps in the car.

2011 535i (07/2011 build) Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black Interior, Anthracite Wood Trim, ZSP, ZPP, ZP2, ZCV, 2TB, 6NF, 6NR.

Retired: 2009 328i,Titanium Silver, Black Interior, Dark Wood Trim, ZPP, ZLP, 609, 494, AAW Tune.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:42 AM
is customizing his 550i

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive DGII
I hope my new BMW does not have this issue, I have my old 64GB iPod as a permanent fixture in my car.
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Current: 2012 X3 2.8 | Space Gray
Retired: 2009 535i xDrive | Jet Black
Retired: 2009 X3 Jet Black
Retired: 2007 530xi | Monaco Blue
Retired: 2003 530i | Sterling Gray
BMWCCA:458650
Old 01-28-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F10 520d
No problem since iPod Classic is hooked via BMW Y Cable. Wasn't working correctly with apple white cable. I am VERY Happy everything is OK with the Y Cable.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '14 328i
mine works fine with the BMW cable

2014 328i, Mineral Gray, Msport, Premium, Technology, Lighting, Driver Assistance.
Retired:
'11 F10 535i
'08 E60 535i
Old 01-28-2012, 10:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Good points above, if you are running an older iPod with an older iOS (if you have an updatable iPod) then you should run the old Y cable...you will lose some combox functionality without an updated iOS but the function will be correct as it relates to playing music.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530d
OK Guys, the problem is with BMW/Apple, NOT your choice of iOS or connection lead. I have done all of the following and still have the exact same range of intermittent problems:-

I am using a BMW OEM Y-cable
I am using the very latest OS for my Classic
I have rebuilt the pod from scratch, including a hard disc re-format.
I am using the latest car firmware.
I have of course had the dealer check everything.

All to no avail. The reset option is not a fix, its a pain in the arse and dangerous to carry out on the move. And when I pay this for a car, I don't expect that kind of fiddle assing to need to be done either.

I won't buy a touch instead - its not big enough, apart from any other issue about BMW and Apple being strategic partners so all models should work flawlessly and not have me spending more money to fix their faults.

I was prepared to consider it might be my pod at fault, but interestingly, I have contacted BMW in exasperation with the dealer and offered to buy a new Classic if BMW would stump up for it if the problem remained - my cost unless its a BMW fault - they had nothing to lose if it was my iPod at fault. They said, no, better to get the issue resolved - book it in for the 4th time and we will look at it again. They know there is a problem.

Keep on plugging away on forums and your dealer and BMW might get the message that there is an issue here that needs fixing.

In fact the dealer more or less encouraged me to record every instance and pester them about it so they had ammunition (or beta testing data if you want to be cynical) to send back to BMW.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 PM
MNC1234

Mein Auto: BMW 520d
I picked up my new BMW 5 series F11 last week and connected my iPod Classic with no problems. Alas, now it doesn't work even after re-boot. So same problems as everybody else. Wife's Nano works fine and I expect my iTouch will as well but am loath to confine this to the centre console for the rest of it's life. Just reset the iPod Classic over night and reloaded my entire library. Let's see if that works - but don't expect much based on what I've read on this forum.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Ipod classic problem

I'm new to the forum and have been reading all comments on the problem between ipod classic and bmw multimedia system. I have the current F11 BMW and am using the ipod classic. So far, have not had problem with the car system except that i notice the playback tempo is a bit slower. The car system seems to tame down my son's LFAO songs into a Rene Olstead's. Even the kids notice this now while in the car. I also have the current model E class and the ipod works fine in that car. The merc is not using a USB connecter but a merc supplied connector. I'm not sure if that is equivalent to BMW Y cable mentioned in this forum.

I will try all the tricks suggested in this forum tomorrow and see how each goes. I hope i wont screw up an otherwise functioning but slow tempo player.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 PM
MNC1234

Mein Auto: BMW 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNC1234 View Post
I picked up my new BMW 5 series F11 last week and connected my iPod Classic with no problems. Alas, now it doesn't work even after re-boot. So same problems as everybody else. Wife's Nano works fine and I expect my iTouch will as well but am loath to confine this to the centre console for the rest of it's life. Just reset the iPod Classic over night and reloaded my entire library. Let's see if that works - but don't expect much based on what I've read on this forum.
Well, so far success. After restoring my iPod Classic last night it seems to work ok in the car (although not as intuitive as in my old Audi). After discussing the problems with a few Colleagues in the BMW camp I will resort to buying the BMW 'Y' cable if the iPod fails to be recognized again. Now I can concentrate on why I only get partial email from my Blackberry into the Office function at least while I am listening to my iPod......