Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: Marlton, NJ
Leak due to engine oil overfill?

Greetings everyone... a couple of weeks ago, I had the oil changed on my '05 745i (with 98K miles) at the dealership. I had purchased the oil (9 qts) and filter from them and wanted to do it myself, but later asked them to do it. They changed the oil and returned about 1/4 qrt of leftover oil.

Later that day, I found an engine oil spot about 12" diameter under the car in my driveway. Oil continued to leak for the whole week and I eventually decided to have it checked out at an independent shop. I admit neither one of us checked the oil level, but they removed a few plastics, raised it up, and looked at it. They told me the valve cover gasket was leaking and needed replacement. I decided I'll take to back to get it done as soon as I can, and drove the car only a few miles/day. Today, I realized it hasn't leaked at all for the past 5 days and wondered why the "low on oil" message never came up. I checked the oil level and found that it was way beyond MAX level to the point that it seemed it reached 6" above it on the dipstick!!!

So, I don't know what to make of this. If it was overfilled, shouldn't the car smoke? in my case there was no smoke. Also, where should it leak and what other symptoms should there be if it was overfilled? Also, now I'm wondering of the valve cover gasket should indeed be replaced? Any thoughts? Advice?
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 750Li, 11 MDX, 04 MDX
Something is not right. The car takes 8.5 qts, you gave them 9. It so, 1/2 qt should have been returned to you and you got back 1/4. In other wirds, they overfilled by 1/4 qt.

If it leaked and is still way above the mark, I suspect two guys worked on your car and one had no clue what the other was doing and added additional oil, clearly no one at the dealership bothered to check the level before returning it to you. These are the same clowns who forget to tighten your lug nuts- better double check those anytime tire service is done.

If the valve cover is leaking, I would replace it. If no smoke, it should be OK. Are you sure it was way over on the dipstic.

2008 750 Li Alpine White/Creme
The economy will get worse before it gets worse.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
Severely over filling any car is very very bad.... It can cause engine issues including premature leaking of the valve cover gasket...I would inform the dealership of this immediately. It is not a coincidence that they overfill you car and you have an oil leak that you have never had before.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
I wouldnt drive your car until you get the oil changed again.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Gentleman,

My car definitely had too much engine oil. I checked the dipstick like three times to confirm.

Just as I was happy my car didn't leak for 5 days, I just it started leaking today even though I didn't even drive it since yesterday. There was no oil this morning and I noticed it started dripping again since then. Stuck my head under the car and snapped a pic (see attached). I know the engine oil plug and filter are in the middle of the pan, but I don't think that's engine oil dripping through those holes. What oil could that be and what could be causing it? how frustrating!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_leak2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	295518  
Old 10-01-2011, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
I would remove the 5 bolts that hold the metal cover. I would think that the oil filter housing, might be leaking or cracked. If it is a valve cover gasket, you should be able to take a good flashlight, & see it around the exhaust manifolds. To much oil could cause a problem, but not this fast!

Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:28 PM

What year is your car bro, my '08 does not have a dipstick, just an electric readout for level on the idrive. Amazed how this could happen as expensive as oil is. A agree, sever overfill can do a lot of damage, different but not unlike severe underfill.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:34 PM

It's an '05.

I'll raise the front on ramps and try to get underneath to take the pan off. In my opinion, the oil is too clear and thin to be engine oil, what are the possibilities it's transmission oil? steering fluid (which is clear as well)? or brake fluid?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:38 PM

This is really getting curious, is the dealer aware that your car may be FUBAR at their expense?

Old 10-01-2011, 05:43 PM

I haven't talked to them yet. Just found out it was way overfilled today.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieAdams View Post
It's an '05.

I'll raise the front on ramps and try to get underneath to take the pan off. In my opinion, the oil is too clear and thin to be engine oil, what are the possibilities it's transmission oil? steering fluid (which is clear as well)? or brake fluid?

I would remove the pan, & check the transmission pan. They are famous for cracking, since they are plastic. Give us an update, on what you find.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 AM

Removed the pan (around oil filter and plug) as HerbP suggested. It was a good idea since I got to see that no engine oil was leaking from either the plug or filter area. Turns out what looks like coolant is leaking from somewhere at the back of the engine (near the firewall) on the driver's side. The leaked coolant is finding its way onto the pan I removed, which was very dirty with all kinds oils, small rocks, and grime that had accumulated over the years.

I took the picture while I was under the car and the fluid is light greenish in color, which is the same color as the coolant in my reservoir. It does, however, have a light oily feel to it. Not sure if coolant is supposed to be like that.

I looked from all angles (from under and over the engine) to try to find out where the leak is coming from, but it's impossible without removing many of engine parts. I know it's coming from the back of the engine on the driver's side. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_Leak3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	295565  
Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Coolant is oily/slimy naturally. If you are out of warranty and the dealer claims ignorance, I would have it fixed at a good German indy. Others here may know what it is.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 AM

Link below explains the source of the leak

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...571&highlight=