Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i, Cayenne, MB E350
Quick question regarding service

Hey guys,

New to the forum here, and actually to BMW all together. I've been a big MB and Porsche fan.

Anyway, I initially wanted an SLK AMG but decided that since I already have a Merc, I'd try a BMW. Not to mention, the E89 is quite a looker

So anyway, my question is this. I'm looking at a used Crimson Red 35i. However, it lacks a service history (according to CarFax). It was only serviced once, which was by the Lexus dealer before it was offered for sale. Haven't asked the dealer for a service record, but is it safe to say, especially with all newer BMWs, that they all do routine maintenance? I mean, I know people who lease their cars drive it like they stole it, but that's another story. Even if you leased, you would probably bring it in for maintenance since it is free? Of course, there are exceptions. However, if the Lexus dealer can not provide a service history, and CarFax only says 1 (not even by BMW), should I just walk away or is it still a safe bet. It's sitting at <30k miles right now.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 11:41 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
BMWs use condition based service. It is possible that it only needed service once every two years.

From what I've seen on other forums, some of the 2009 cars are nothing but trouble.

I'd absolutely want to see the service history. If the Lexus dealer can't get that for you, walk away.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 35i, Cayenne, MB E350
Thank you for the tip.

I know the 35i with the twin turbos have problems with the HPFP, but is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?
Unfortunately, the only thing within my budget is used and they are almost all 2009 (from leases, I assume. 3 years, perfect)
You mentioned you have read about a lot of problems regarding the 2009 early models. Do you mind sharing them so I know what to look for when I go see the car and during the PPI.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E81, E89
I am still running my May 2009 build sDrive30i, only issue I had was fixed by a 2010 software update. The only service so far was at about 21,000 miles and am currently sitting at 30,200 with the computer reporting another 6,000 miles to the next service [so around 37,000] . Mix of 50% German autobahn, 40% back-roads and 10% city driving. Car is normally driven fairly sporty and has about 40 laps of the Nurburgring under its belt. Would buy this car again...
Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
I think most people would take advantage of the free maintenance, but if you're looking to keep the car for along time, I feel you need to do more than BMW says. With only 30K miles, even if the minimum maintenance was done, you're still OK, but I'd change fluids (diff, manual gearbox, oil, PS, coolant, for example).

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
You mentioned you have read about a lot of problems regarding the 2009 early models. Do you mind sharing them so I know what to look for when I go see the car and during the PPI.

Thanks
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45

Leaking top
Rattles
Style 296 wheels cracking (all years, all models)
Water build up in lenses. Causes fogging and eventually failure.
Top stops working, mostly due to bad microswitches.

Windows going up and down by themselves. recent software patch is supposed to have fixed this.
Navigation maps out of date. Not a problem but updates are expensive as you MUST update the CIC at the same time. Hacking in a map update is asking for trouble.

Several software bugs that will have been fixed if the car is at a BMW dealer.

Our car, which is less than one month old, does not have any of these problems.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-14-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Thank you for the tip.

I know the 35i with the twin turbos have problems with the HPFP, but is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?
Unfortunately, the only thing within my budget is used and they are almost all 2009 (from leases, I assume. 3 years, perfect)

Thanks
I have an early 2009 and have had no major issues. The dealer replaced my HPFP as a precaution. That was the only issue I've had so far.

The 2009s are generally not any more prone to any additional issues than any other model year.

For example, you could very well find a 2010 that had more issues than a 2009

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 04-17-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post

For example, you could very well find a 2010 that had more issues than a 2009
Yes. Cracking style 296 rims and water in the tail lamp lenses are issues for 2010 Z4s too.

The number of people posting in that list is very small, but most of them do have 2009s.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 04-17-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Z4 35is
Just my $0.02, but I assume most people that lease a car, don't really treat the car like they plan on keeping it. For this reason, I would stay far away from a leased vehicle.
Like I said, just my opinion. I am sure there are exceptions.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Free maintenance should include a yearly oil, and filter service. You can have a BMW Dealer run the vin number and they can give you a print out of what has been performed on the vehicle at a dealer. The more people you speak with the more opinions you will recieve. I have owned BMW since 1986 and find they are reliable if you use the old school maintenance program. FLuids are the heart of the mechanical part of the engine and of course the more components you put on the electrical system the more likely you will have issues. ALl car manufacturers are producing cars as sucha fast advanced rate that the new technol;ogy has not been tested and the average mechanic has difficulty with repairs - it does not matter the marque! I have a 07 335i which I use for long trips and as many compliants I have read from others, I am either lucky or just trust teh old school maintenance system. My 09 Z4 is a gem as well with 24, 000 miles. As my neighbor put it, the person who gets your car after yo are finished with it, which is usually about 8 to 10 years will always get a well cared for example of a great marque.
I would always walk away from BMW's that are not at a BMW Dealer unless you are buying from a private seller. Most non BMW Dealers pick up there used cars at auctions - the ones BMW Dealers have no interest in. Good Luck
Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsbillz4 View Post
Free maintenance should include a yearly oil, and filter service.
Low mileage oil change interval is now two years on some of the latest BMWs, including our 2012 Z4.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Low mileage oil change interval is now two years on some of the latest BMWs, including our 2012 Z4.
Interesting...low mileage oil change is 1 year here in the US. And if your regular oil change comes up on mileage shortly after that, you get that too.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Interesting...low mileage oil change is 1 year here in the US. And if your regular oil change comes up on mileage shortly after that, you get that too.
Could be because our Z4 is the detuned sDrive20i. Or maybe there is an initialization error. Time to RTFM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Carfax does not show BMW service history

I had my e89 Z4 serviced on several occasions by the BMW dealer. I noticed that the service history does not show up on the CarFax report. I assume BMW does not share the data with CarFax.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
It is pretty amazing what BMW shares and does not share with no only CarFax but also mechanics. Today's high tech does not allow the mechanic to analyze the issue and perform a service, the mechanic gets answers ans solutions from headquarters. It amazes me, being a former mechanic, that the mechanic can not proceed with the knowledge they learned to find a solution to a problem.
Car Fax is a good thing, but unless it is reported, it is useless. If a repair was done and not reported it willnot show up even a minor accident.