Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
DINAN for the d - Update

Just a heads up, DINAN is making progress with their diesel tune. See note from DINAN below.

"I can not give out specific details but we are making progress and we do have a 335d in the shop.

Thanks!

Brian"
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Chris, only three yrs into the "D" here in USA and NOW everyone is jumping on the Bandwagon only to see the "D" dissappear for a year and come back in a new platform and then restart allover again.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
I imagine they're going to find like everyone else that the emissions systems limit gains and increase the chances of drivability issues (DPF faults, Injector or HPFP failure, etc).
Old 11-16-2011, 03:30 PM

There is always a limit to what a "respectable" tuner can and is willing to do so they can offer a product that improves peformance without compromising reliability/driveability. I would not say our car's limiting factor is the DPF. Over the long haul the DPF in and of itself has proven to be not the most reliable piece of equipment - tune or no tune. There's a fine line when it comes to optimizing engine performance without necessarily sacraficing in the reliability dept. Remember diesel tuning is nothing new, just take a look at the Cummings diesel forum or the UK section of any BMW forum and the results/feedback regarding true tunes (evolve, smarty etc) are for the most overwhelmingly favorable. Increasing injection timing under certain load conditions, rather than increasing pump pressure across the board to deliver fuel, while at the same time manipulating boost will be the way for DINAN do this in such a way to offer decent performance gains (gains that will hopefully justify the cost) while at the same time not compromise reliability; I mean after all it's their money behind the warranty. There is no reason why our cars cannot safely be tuned for 300+ whp and 470lb ft+ of torque.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-16-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, M-Sport
Hi, Chris, any rumors of progress from Dinan lately?

That Renntech tune is looking more and more appealing, especially since I just sold my old track wheels (other car), and the funds will be quickly reallocated to other expenses if I don't debit it from the play fund.

Thanks for keeping tabs on it. I know we all appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRotor View Post
Hi, Chris, any rumors of progress from Dinan lately?

That Renntech tune is looking more and more appealing, especially since I just sold my old track wheels (other car), and the funds will be quickly reallocated to other expenses if I don't debit it from the play fund.

Thanks for keeping tabs on it. I know we all appreciate it.
Nothing as of late, stopped e-mailing them once a month, but perhaps if you and others start contacting them it might light a fire.

Just keep in mind with the Renntech tune or any other resident tune that you will have to remove your ecu and send it to Renntech, in which case you will be without a car for days. In addition if the dealer overwrites you dme to do a softeware update you will have to go through the same process. Not to mention with a resident tune there is always the off chance the dealer and or bmw na will find that your cars stock operating peramiters were molested.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-04-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:40 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Nothing as of late, stopped e-mailing them once a month, but perhaps if and others start contacting them it might light a fire.

Just keep in mind with the Renntech tune or any other resident tune that you will have to remove your ecu and send it to Renntech, in which case you will be without a car for days. In addition if the dealer overwrites you dme to do a softeware update you will have to go through the same process. Not to mention with a resident tune there is always the off chance the dealer and or bmw na will find that your cars stock operating peramiters were molested.
If the dealer does a routine software update (like they do from time to time), does that mean they will necessarily overwrite the ECU Tune? Just curious.

I live about 3+ hours away from Renntech so going back is not a major deal to get it retuned if required.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '09 MCS
Not sure about the BMW dealer but there are a lot of rumors on Audi Forum where dealer is noting the car has been re-flashed. Which in event you go back for warranty use dealer can reject your claim. Again those are rumors on AudiZine website.
2002 Audi S8 Brillian Black - daily driver - Gone

Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
If the dealer does a routine software update (like they do from time to time), does that mean they will necessarily overwrite the ECU Tune? Just curious.

I live about 3+ hours away from Renntech so going back is not a major deal to get it retuned if required.
If they perform a major software update then yes they will likely overwrite the tune.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyINP View Post
Not sure about the BMW dealer but there are a lot of rumors on Audi Forum where dealer is noting the car has been re-flashed. Which in event you go back for warranty use dealer can reject your claim. Again those are rumors on AudiZine website.
If push came to shove, YES BMWNA can tell how many times the DME has been reflashed and they can compare it against their records. If the count is different it indicates the DME was molested in some fashion which may prompt them to dig deeper and there they will find that the ecu was reflashed. All of these tuners say "no way" the dealer can tell, but none of them stand behind it.

Now of course these are worst case senarios, like in the event of some chastostrophic failure.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-04-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM

Chris it is great assumption that the dealer can find the NEW flash, I believe back then in 04 I modded my 02 MCS and the dealer only does read CODES only back then, but nowadays I beleive they might be able to find out. i will ask my sources and i will keep u guys posted ok
Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyINP View Post
I know Ford does this. Though it typically only comes up in issues where it is some major failure such as an engine going south. I know a few people who got dinged by it and were all butt hurt over it. I personally think if anyone is going to be modding a car they should accept from the get go they might very well end up having to pay out of pocket to fix things(that in anyway can be related to the mod) that break. It is kind of like racing a car, if you can't afford to up and loose the thing at any moment then perhaps putting it in a situation that a wreck might happen and insurance will refuse to cover is a bad idea.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing as of late, stopped e-mailing them once a month, but perhaps if you and others start contacting them it might light a fire.

Indeed. That is why I would REALLY prefer Dinan. I will email them again this evening & see what they say.

JBD is may be a decent interim option, but I don't think I would go there. I want to keep the car running as long as possible, thus I would prefer going about tuning in the safER way if possible.

Snipe is right, and i dont think cssnms would disagree, any tune means hence forth you are either lucky or your own warranty (or your own lawyer )
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Indeed. That is why I would REALLY prefer Dinan. I will email them again this evening & see what they say.

JBD is may be a decent interim option, but I don't think I would go there. I want to keep the car running as long as possible, thus I would prefer going about tuning in the safER way if possible.

Snipe is right, and i dont think cssnms would disagree, any tune means hence forth you are either lucky or your own warranty (or your own lawyer )
I wouldn't consider the JBD "unsafe," esp at the default setting I would consider a rather benign way to increase hp. The only thing it is doing is injecting more fuel into the combustion chamber, which is how tuners get the vast majority of power out of a diesel engine. Diesel engines are less complicated than a gasoline engine in that regard, where you have to worry more about AFR's etc. If you add to much fuel idiesels just blow more black smoke. There are thousands of JBD's in service and I am not aware of any problems so far, other than the dreaded limp mode when it's cranked up to 100%.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-05-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM

As someone who has had diesel injectors on other cars fail and wittnessed countless destroyed motors in friends trucks, I am hesitant about diesel tunes in general. Especially diesel tunes done by people new to diesels since seen the worst happen there. I am also hesitant about upper fuel pressures and how well the injectors will last in the long term. By long term I mean well over 100k miles. But with that said I just don't see me having this car for the long term, so not sure if I care to worry about "what ifs"
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM

Am I wrong in that a standard remap would more adjust injection duration/timing than quantity, thus adding the additional fuel without as much additional pressure? My fear more falls along the lines of long-term reliability of the major components if forced to operate at a greater pressure on a consistant basis?

Also, it is my understanding that based on the way in which the signal is manipulated, the JbD is not able to scale back the pressure increase based on load profile. Right/wrong?

If I could overcome these two items, I would probably hop on the JbD boat until the Dinan is released, but, even still, I'd rather not play beta tester for dinan either. I do, however, feel that their well-deserved reputation far overcomes the possible lack of diesel experience argument, but new product lines will always have potential for new product issues until they are tested by the masses.

Thanks for helping me develop an understanding. Keep in mind that over the course of a few weeks I went from knowing the ins and outs of my car with no pistons to knowing next to nothing about my car with no spark plugs.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Am I wrong in that a standard remap would more adjust injection duration/timing than quantity, thus adding the additional fuel without as much additional pressure? My fear more falls along the lines of long-term reliability of the major components if forced to operate at a greater pressure on a consistant basis?

Also, it is my understanding that based on the way in which the signal is manipulated, the JbD is not able to scale back the pressure increase based on load profile. Right/wrong?

If I could overcome these two items, I would probably hop on the JbD boat until the Dinan is released, but, even still, I'd rather not play beta tester for dinan either. I do, however, feel that their well-deserved reputation far overcomes the possible lack of diesel experience argument, but new product lines will always have potential for new product issues until they are tested by the masses.

Thanks for helping me develop an understanding. Keep in mind that over the course of a few weeks I went from knowing the ins and outs of my car with no pistons to knowing next to nothing about my car with no spark plugs.
The basic reasons you state are the basic reasons why I'd prefer to have a remap. Now whether they are valid reasons to have or not, I can't say for certain. I'd imagine anyone could take a JBD and toss it on their car and more than likely have zero issues caused by it for the life that they keep the car. I am thinking most people would be lucky if they kept their car to or past 100k miles. I figure that because just seems like many are the type to switch things up over time.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Alpine White
It boggles my mind that tuners and their customers think that they can program a car more effectively than the engineers that designed and tested the car. Obviously, it's a game of optimization for power, efficiency, pollution, and reliability in a system that has to operate at different altitudes, temperatures, and fuel quality. I personally wouldn't want to trade one for the other.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Of course it is always a trade off for something else. Now whether that trade off will ever have an actual real life negative impact can be debated over and over.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes View Post
It boggles my mind that tuners and their customers think that they can program a car more effectively than the engineers that designed and tested the car. Obviously, it's a game of optimization for power, efficiency, pollution, and reliability in a system that has to operate at different altitudes, temperatures, and fuel quality. I personally wouldn't want to trade one for the other.
The factory tune maximizes consistent and reliable operation with significant engine protection. The tuners will change the mapping to push into areas the factory deliberately built in as operational safety cushions. Will this impact engine or drivetrain life - one persons guess is as good as another. Will it effect warranty - think that's pretty clear.

For me the 335d already has more than enough power. But then I was satisfied with my 193hp 328i. I'm already projecting that the rear ties will only last half as long as the fronts, and I'm not a particularly aggressive driver. I can't imagine anyone using the additional power a remap will give more than 0.001% of the time.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Since a tune should change partial to moderate throttle as well as WOT them I'd say usage is higher than 0.001%

I have driven/owned my fair share of modified cars. It would be rare for a day or really drive to go by that I did not use the added power in some fashion. I do get what you are saying though, in comparisons to what the bulk of driving is that added power rarely is tapped into.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Wether it is greater pressure or increasing the frequency of injection timing, they both put added stresses on the pump and injectors; how much and what that added stress will do to the uselful life, who knows... A flash tune almost always increases turbo boost, so add that to the mix.

Our fuel pumps, njectors and turbos for that matter are designed/built to withstand operating perameters well an excess of what your car operates at stock, as well as the manufacturers claimed thresholds, which mind you are usually well in excess of the car manufacturer's design/operating specifications. Case in point, the 627hp Vishnu BMW, which is still running on a stock transmission and many engine internals.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...goes-fast.html

Now I am not suggesting the Vishnu BMW will provide the same reliability as a stock BMW, but rather to just demonstrate real world tolerances of OEM engine/transmission components. Unless you have the logged data to support how each tune operates it's all speculation. Arguably a flash vs a fuel box is the preferred way to go about making more power.

Last edited by cssnms; 03-06-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Our fuel pumps and injectors are designed/built to withstand operating perameters well an excess of what your car operates at stock, as well as the manufacturers claimed thresholds, which mind you are usually well in excess of the car manufacturer's design/operating specifications.
I think this is something anyone on the fense to modify their car should really think about. It is going to be safe to say if you modify the car with a tune that you are bringing components past the stock operating parameters but probably still within the parts overall parameters. Regardless though you are lessoning the overall lifespan of those parts. They will last the longest when being stressed the least. I guess it all boils down to how does one get enjoyment out of their vehicles. If it is just to see how long it lives and you do not need to deal with repairs then modifying it for more power probably is not in your best interests. If you like to have power and enjoy finding avenues for more power then a tune probably is right up your alley so long as you realize always a chance you are creating future repairs.

I sway on the fense of modifying cars still under factory warrantees. I got slightly bit once for that. I changed out the rear gearing on a car I had. Later on that car had some transmission clutch issues and I took it in. They did the clutch work under warranty but they heard a howling in the rear end so tore into it to find non-stock parts. I got charged for them digging into the rear end. Of course with that same car I pulled into a different dealer with an aftermarket turbo kit(cars did not come turbocharged from the factory) and a few other speed parts with a complaint about the shifting and they rebuilt the factory transmission under warranty then asked me how I liked that turbo.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM

I spoke to my source and he told me the only way for the dealer to find out if the car was flashed was for BMW dealer send your ECU to BMW Corporate Headquarters and have it research and that would not be cost effective. For those waiting on Dinan , hurry up and wait.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
I know Ford does this. Though it typically only comes up in issues where it is some major failure such as an engine going south. I know a few people who got dinged by it and were all butt hurt over it. I personally think if anyone is going to be modding a car they should accept from the get go they might very well end up having to pay out of pocket to fix things(that in anyway can be related to the mod) that break. It is kind of like racing a car, if you can't afford to up and loose the thing at any moment then perhaps putting it in a situation that a wreck might happen and insurance will refuse to cover is a bad idea.
I completely agree with this. If you aren't willing to roll the dice on paying to fix it you probably shouldn't be messing with it. Coming from the Evo world I've lost count how many times I've seen people crying about something not being warrantied after adding 100+ hp and drag racing the car. That's on a car that is relatively affordable to repair too, unlike a BMW. It's a warranty not a sponsorship to go racing or a grant for R&D.

That being said my Evo was making over 400hp (stock is 270) and because I used quality parts with the appropriate supporting mods and drove like an adult I never had an issue with drive line parts failing or getting something warrantied. I think a lot of people look at the initial cost of a mod, say $1000 for a tune, and lose sight of the potential for a $10K+ bill to rebuild the engine if that tune or anything they can blame on the tune sends a rod looking for daylight.

And that's the other problem, it doesn't necessarily have to be the tune that caused the part to fail but, if they find a tune and can potentially attribute blame for the failed part to it you lose there too. I know there were a few guys with 335i's that had procedes and failed HPFPs that ended up paying out of pocket to replace them. It's a common problem that a lot of people without tunes had too but, because a few left their procede in or told the dealer they had one they got burned.

In my opinion that's why using a tuner that has a proven record is important in a car that has lots of expensive parts. If I had a car with a small block chevy that would cost me relatively little to rebuild I'd be a bit less concerned.

On the opposite side of the argument... there is usually a significant safety margin built into driveline parts for street cars and besides even if the engine only lasts 150,000-200,000 miles most of the rest of the car probably won't these days.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 03-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.