Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
I spoke to my source and he told me the only way for the dealer to find out if the car was flashed was for BMW dealer send your ECU to BMW Corporate Headquarters and have it research and that would not be cost effective. For those waiting on Dinan , hurry up and wait.
I honestly have a really hard time believing your source. I mean come on now, if Ford can do it at the dealership level then I'd think so could pretty much any other company. I know with Ford it is much like others have stated here and they simply look at the number of times the ECU has been flashed and then cross reference that with their records. There is a way to erase that number but then that in itself they will start getting pissy about. I guess until we see someone blow up a motor and who had a tune then we just never will know for certain. Although seems like looking at the 335i world we could get a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
On the opposite side of the argument... there is usually a significant safety margin built into driveline parts for street cars and besides even if the engine only lasts 150,000-200,000 miles most of the rest of the car probably won't these days.
I have been saying this for a very long time. Too much other stuff on these cars and most new cars that can break and cost a fortune to fix. By other stuff I mean things outside the driveline completely. Unless someone just does a ton of freeway driving and is willing to put up with misc things not working then I just don't see too many of these cars staying with the original owners much past 200k miles. That even ignores the feeling I get that a lot of people who buy these cars are the type who would go to the next great thing long before they ever hit 200k miles anyway.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
I would be surprised if the auto side of the house (BMWs) isnt at least as far advanced as the bike side. and on the bike side, everything now goes to and comes from the mothership via internet, when they hook up to your bike BMWNA sees every code /shadow code your bike has, all software upgrades are down loaded directly into your bike from BMWNA, the dealer is no longer able to hide anything from corporate like the old days. can suck too as on one of my bikes a couple years ago (K1200GT) BMW NA downloaded a corrupted file into my bike at a routine service visit, while the bike still mechanically ran all the electronics were screwed up and I had one hell of a show on my dash (it would roll through every light ,warning, tach and speedo needles swinging wildly, then go out completely,and then come back on normal every few miles) took them 8 hours on the computer to get it straightened out.
08 WR250R

Last edited by KarlB; 03-07-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlB View Post
I would be surprised if the auto side of the house (BMWs) isnt at least as far advanced as the bike side. and on the bike side, everything now goes to and comes from the mothership via internet, when they hook up to your bike BMWNA sees every code /shadow code your bike has, all software upgrades are down loaded directly into your bike from BMWNA, the dealer is no longer able to hide anything from corporate like the old days. can suck too as on one of my bikes a couple years ago (K1200GT) BMW NA downloaded a corrupted file into my bike at a routine service visit, while the bike still mechanically ran all the electronics were screwed up and I had one hell of a show on my dash (it would roll through every light ,warning, tach and speedo needles swinging wildly, then go out completely,and then come back on normal every few miles) took them 8 hours on the computer to get it straightened out.
I believe this is how the car side works as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Alpine White
Car side works the same way. My CEL fault was downloaded and diagnosed by BMWNA.