Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:07 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Angry birds! Pope's peace doves attacked

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2014/0...ked/?hpt=hp_c4

For the record.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, theres a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
It was Satan.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Always knew birds were evil

Im usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 01-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
And angry.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Two seagull stories, the first from a buddy on another site:

Quote:
Here's an ironic story:

My nephew got a summons last summer for accidentally swatting away ...and killing in the process... a baby seagull that was dive-bombing his young daughter's hot dog while they were seated at an outdoor restaurant table near the beach.
So, after getting heaped with verbal abuse from the "birders" () in front of his kids, the owner calls the local US F&WL agent. Seagulls are a Federally protected species, don'tcha know. He gets a summons to appear in court which will be in Feb. He hired a lawyer to defend him as he is worried about any conviction in his line of work. I happen to know the municipal judge & maybe I'll go as a character witness when he has to appear. His fine can be from $300 to a $2,000, if you can believe it.

Seagulls are nuthin but flying trash cans, imo, as one who has been "bombed" by them more times than I can remember.

I sent him an email this morning with a link to an article about it and gave him this suggestion.
"Make sure you tell the judge seagulls are not friendly. You were only protecting your children from a vicious, murdering fowl! "
And now my story:

My mother came to visit me in the Bay Area a few years back. We went to Alcatraz among other spots. While waiting for the ferry we got some fish and chips at a stand and as we walked away, a seagull dive bombed her meal and snatched a piece of fish out of her basket. It happened to quick to swat at it.

The story at top is incredible. In many urban spots, seagulls aren't much different from pigeons, which have no protection - they can be killed like rats. Up in Washington state (many other spots as well no doubt), the large landfill dump sites have huge colonies of seagulls living seemingly year round.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon
Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
OK, heres my most recent sky-rat (our nickname for gulls) story:

So, K and I get married on NYE on the beautiful white sand of Clearwater beach (the ground was white at home, too, but in FL the temp was 80 degrees warmer). During pictures after the ceremony, we pop a bottle of champagne. Since its for a picture, we let the cork fly. The cork hits the ground, bounces once and it picked up by a gull, who promptly flies off, down the beach, with 50 of its brothers/sisters/cousins/whatever screaming behind it. It seems K wanted to keep the cork, so as the bird goes by, the family and onlookers got to see the bride turn, face the Gulf, and shake her fist in the air, yelling, You damm sky-rats! Bring back my cork!

Im usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Good one. I guess you had to drink all the champagne.

Birds can be a trip. Once on a job, we had a couple of blue jays that were always trying to get in our stuff. It was toward the end, just me and another guy. One day one of our top carpenters came to help with some stuff. Mid morning I came around the corner just in time to see one of the jays making off with his sack lunch, pulling it out of the open garage with is beak, hopping backwards. I saved it of course and we kept our lunches well secured after that.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon