Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
It depends on how you define "their way."

I don't think there is any dispute that the F30 will lose the kind of steering feedback that are in the previous generation 3s. In fact the point was made that the new F30 made the steering feel more insulated and smooth.

The size of the F30 makes it the largest 3 so far. It will have some impact on the handling.

It is also undisputed that the new turbo 4 will lose the smooth revving at the high RPM band. While it is true it will gain power at a much lower band, it does lose some of the highly regarded characters of the prior generations of the N/A I6s.

Of course one can point out other things the new I4 will gain over the outgoing N52, the better 0-60, and the fuel economy, just to name a few.

But it is reasonable to claim that the "BMW Way" was defined by its unique steering road feel, the smooth high revving nature of the I6, and the relative nimble smaller size.

One may not agree with the above characterization of the BMW 3, but one cannot say such characterization is unreasonable.

As such, if what one considers "the way" the BMW 3s has been following, is now altered, it is a reasonable claim that it had "lost its way."

The new direction may be a good thing for many, not so good for the others.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post

I don't think there is any dispute that the F30 will lose the kind of steering feedback that are in the previous generation 3s. In fact the point was made that the new F30 made the steering feel more insulated and smooth.

The size of the F30 makes it the largest 3 so far. It will have some impact on the handling.

It is also undisputed that the new turbo 4 will lose the smooth revving at the high RPM band. While it is true it will gain power at a much lower band, it does lose some of the highly regarded characters of the prior generations of the N/A I6s.

Of course one can point out other things the new I4 will gain over the outgoing N52, the better 0-60, and the fuel economy, just to name a few.

But it is reasonable to claim that the "BMW Way" was defined by its unique steering road feel, the smooth high revving nature of the I6, and the relative nimble smaller size.

One may not agree with the above characterization of the BMW 3, but one cannot say such characterization is unreasonable.

As such, if what one considers "the way" the BMW 3s has been following, is now altered, it is a reasonable claim that it had "lost its way."

BMW needs to build the car that the most people in their target customer group will want, and they have to do that within the confines of regulation. They need to sustainably increase market share and sales volume, and so far I think every successive iteration of the 3 and 5 series has outsold the one before it. Any art of design that happens along the way is great, but fundamentally BMW is in business to sell cars.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
FWIW the tester that these journalists were driving had the optional steering setup. So there is hope.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 11-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
BMW needs to build the car that the most people in their target customer group will want, and they have to do that within the confines of regulation. They need to sustainably increase market share and sales volume, and so far I think every successive iteration of the 3 and 5 series has outsold the one before it. Any art of design that happens along the way is great, but fundamentally BMW is in business to sell cars.
So is Toyota what is your point. IMO BMW got to where they are because they built cars people wanted to drive so why deviate from that. Not saying the F30 isn't one of those cars just that it deviates slightly away from being an enthusiast car more than previous generations. Simply you can see this from your own comment.
2001 Mercedes Benz C320
2000 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
1997 BMW 540i
1991 Nissan 240SX
1990 Nissan Maxima
Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
I don't have a problem with their adding the Turbo 4. My beef is with their subtracting the NA I-6 from the US market offerings. Customers in Europe (where the fuel consumption and emissions requirements are the tightest) can still get it.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
So is Toyota what is your point. IMO BMW got to where they are because they built cars people wanted to drive so why deviate from that. Not saying the F30 isn't one of those cars just that it deviates slightly away from being an enthusiast car more than previous generations. Simply you can see this from your own comment.
My point - and, more importantly, the point supported by the sales data through the years - is that BMW is making the changes they are making in order that they can provide a car that is more appealing to and competitive for their target market.

For every customer the F30 loses because of its design changes compared to the last generation, it will attract two new customers, maybe more.

You're right, in this way they are exactly like Toyota.

I except the move to the N20, which was CAFE-driven and not market-driven.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I don't have a problem with their adding the Turbo 4. My beef is with their subtracting the NA I-6 from the US market offerings. Customers in Europe (where the fuel consumption and emissions requirements are the tightest) can still get it.
Two ideas, both unsupported by data (just saying):
  1. CAFE regulations are requiring dramatically higher fuel economy by 2025 with the July, 2011 agreement. Possibly our requirements are about to become tighter than the EU's.
  2. The "A" in CAFE stands for "Average". If, in the EU, the NA I6 3 series isn't the volume seller that it would be here, BMW could still offer it without affecting their CAFE compliance (or the EU equivalent) as much.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
You're right, in this way they are exactly like Toyota.
If so then how can one dismiss the claim that BMW has "lost their way?" If they are now going the Toyota way?

Quote:
I except the move to the N20, which was CAFE-driven and not market-driven.
Unless BMW knows things we don't know, last I checked the N/A I6 in the new 528i without the auto stop and go, had 32 mpg highway.

The new turbo 4 in the 528i with auto stop and go has 34 mpg highway. I would say they can be equally fuel efficient.

I don't think our CAFE standards (unlike Europe) placed restriction on the number of cylinders or displacement, only mpg.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
If so then how can one dismiss the claim that BMW has "lost their way?" If they are now going the Toyota way?
Their way is the same. They both want to maximize market share, revenue, and profitability within their target markets. Their target markets are different.

Quote:
The new turbo 4 in the 528i with auto stop and go has 34 mpg highway. I would say they can be equally fuel efficient.

I don't think our CAFE standards (unlike Europe) placed restriction on the number of cylinders or displacement, only mpg.
I agree that the mileage in the N20 isn't going to get BMW all the way there, and it doesn't seem like an enormous leap from the NA I6 in terms of efficiency. I'm guessing now, but BMW must think that the direction that engineering will take favors artificially aspirated smaller displacement engines, so this is the time they made the change. They certainly aren't alone.

BTW, I don't think that the N20 is "better" than the NA I6 and I doubt I will buy an N20 powered car. I do think I understand why BMW has made the change, though, and there are a few things to be excited about with the new engine.

In general, I'm responding to all of this emotionality about BMW leaving behind the essence of their brand in favor of something else. It just sounds like a lot of people bummed out about change to me, and I say there is more going on from a business perspective.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 11-29-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i 6MT LMB
Quote:
Any art of design that happens along the way is great, but fundamentally BMW is in business to sell cars.
I couldn't agree more.

Is BMW really fundamentally different from Toyota? After all, we are not talking about a privately owned boutique brand. BMW is currently the largest luxury automobile manufacturer in the world. It is run by hired executives that are obliged to deliver profit to share holders. Its engineers are educated in the same universities as those in other global automakers. It operates its business in the same market environment as Toyota or Honda. Perhaps the only major difference is that BMW spends a lot of time and money running marketing campaigns to convince us that it is not like Toyota. But on the other hand, the reason they do that is no different than the reason Toyota run any of its marketing campaigns. At the end of the day, it will produce whatever it is its target market demands. It's just that, in the pursuit of becoming bigger and more profitable, its target market has inevitably moved more towards mainstream, and as a consequence, farther away from enthusiast base.

So I think it is foolish to expect a particular company to deliver indefinitely the kind of products that get your heart pumping. It if happened once, it's because the stars aligned, so that you were a part of its target market, and it had the competence to execute that particular product right. It might even do it a few more times. But if it's successful, it'll most likely move on to something more profitable, and you will be left feeling like it has "lost its way".

I'm not saying that the new F30 is bad. Maybe it is an excellent replacement for the E90. But given the direction BMW has shown with the F10, Z4, X3, etc, I would fully expect more and more mainstreamification of the brand as it increases market share. And in the mean time, the 3er will surely not get MORE focused.

I agree the new 86/BRZ looks like a pretty cool car. Maybe that will be another one of those accidents where we get a car that really has enough character to get us all excited. Who cares if it's not a BMW. I like cars, not car companies.

Last edited by SpinZero; 11-29-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I agree, the Toyota/Subaru sports car seems quite interesting - Cayman like dimensions, could be handling like the Honda S2000 and can fit a couple of kids in the back. Hopefully it'll live up to the hopes of average buyers who can afford such cars, and prompt the likes of BMW and Honda to deliver more.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohn View Post
Wouldn't it be prudent to wait until you've seen and driven one yourself before you declare the car a failure and "the beginning of the end"????
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Love people who overreact even tho they havent even driven the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
That would make to much sense.
YES...sure, sounds logical, and in most cases i agree and would never have reacted this way...
but I "trust" C&D...that is, I TRUST IN THEIR ANNUAL FANBOY REVIEWS....always gushing over BMW and especially the 3 series.
When they give a review like this on a car they ALWAYS review "glowingly" and have had on the Top Ten list for a bizzilion years...
...YOU BET, cause for concern and I DO NOT have do "wait & drive" to "react"...the FACT that these guys with BMW mad love & bias knock the car and new "direction" BMW has taken with it...SPEAKS VOLUMES.

It amuses me that there are so many optimistic BMW "fanboys" that cannot see the "handwriting on the wall", this review just confirms what many others KNOW.
BMW have always been "Drivers" cars 1st...then understated FUNCTIONAL "luxury" last.
If i wanted frilly glitzy bling-bling & sissy girly-man luxury, with electronic "nannys" to tell me what lane I am in, or that I am too close to the car in front and to park my car for me... I would buy a Lexus or Benz.
R.I.P. "Ultimate Driving Machine".

Last edited by 16n69; 11-29-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
YES...sure, sounds logical, and in most cases i agree and would never have reacted this way...
but I "trust" C&D...that is, I TRUST IN THEIR ANNUAL FANBOY REVIEWS....always gushing over BMW and especially the 3 series.
When they give a review like this on a car they ALWAYS review "glowingly" and have had on the Top Ten list for a bizzilion years...
...YOU BET, cause for concern and I DO NOT have do "wait & drive" to "react"...the FACT that these guys with BMW mad love & bias knock the car and new "direction" BMW has taken with it...SPEAKS VOLUMES.

It amuses me that there are so many optimistic BMW "fanboys" that cannot see the "handwriting on the wall", this review just confirms what many others KNOW.
BMW have always been "Drivers" cars 1st...then understated FUNCTIONAL "luxury" last.
If i wanted frilly glitzy bling-bling & sissy girly-man luxury, with electronic "nannys" to tell me what lane I am in, or that I am too close to the car in front and to park my car for me... I would buy a Lexus or Benz.

Once again, you are overreacting. Test drive it, then you will have a valid complaint. Also, dont put so much stock in C&D

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-29-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

"Lost it's way" is a strong phrase. There is a lot to dispute in your post. The car is about 1.5" wider and less than 4" longer. That translates to more interior room more than being a detriment to handling and weight is the enemy of fine handling not an extra 4" of length. There is no weight increase and BMW should be roundly applauded for this. By the way the ancestor of the 3 series is the 2002 which had a 4 cylinder engine. I'll reserve judgement on the steering until I test drive one. Most road tests have been positive in this regard. I agree that the smoothness of the I6 cannot be duplicated in a 4 cylinder but if the engine has a sporty nature it will be fine.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:

You are way overreacting. The e9x series has plenty of luxury features and it's been a long time since the 3 series was a bare bones sedan. The market has always demanded a car in its price range have luxury features. My basically stripped 328i e90 (value package, heated seats, metallic paint and Bluetooth) has leather, power windows with one touch feature, push button start, dual zone climate control, puddle lights on the door handles, multi function computer, real wood trim, rain sensing wipers amd more. There are numerous options to make it even more luxurious.

And If Car and Driver is such a fanboy magazine how come they ripped on the new 5 series and rated the S4 above the 335i?
Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You are way overreacting. The e9x series has plenty of luxury features and it's been a long time since the 3 series was a bare bones sedan. The market has always demanded a car in its price range have luxury features. My basically stripped 328i e90 (value package, heated seats, metallic paint and Bluetooth) has leather, power windows with one touch feature, push button start, dual zone climate control, puddle lights on the door handles, multi function computer, real wood trim, rain sensing wipers amd more. There are numerous options to make it even more luxurious.

And If Car and Driver is such a fanboy magazine how come they ripped on the new 5 series and rated the S4 above the 335i?
They have always adored the 3 series and overlooked any flaws, also giving the fastest 0-60 times of anyone.
Not anymore?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
They have always adored the 3 series and overlooked any flaws, also giving the fastest 0-60 times of anyone.
Not anymore?
Why shouldn't they or any other magazine adore the 3 series? It's the definition of an affordable luxury sport sedan. What car has been better over the years?

And we should take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. Until a car magazine gets one for an extended test we have no Ida what they really think. Road test reviews are typically a compilation of the thoughts of many different testers.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 11-29-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Why shouldn't they or any other magazine adore the 3 series? It's the definition of an affordable luxury sport sedan. What car has been better over the years?

And we should take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. Until a car magazine gets one for an extended test we have no Ida what they really think. Road test reviews are typically a compilation of the thoughts of many different testers.
OK...fair enough, we will see, but it does not look good, look at that fugly hood design, for starters, can't BMW come up with something better, just like Audi, Porsche & Benz?
What else are they compromising on?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Ich bin schneller

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Quote:
OK...fair enough, we will see, but it does not look good, look at that fugly hood design, for starters, can't BMW come up with something better, just like Audi, Porsche & Benz?
What else are they compromising on?
They stole that hood design from a Mitsubishi. That is what people will ask... "Is that the new Mits... oh, it's a bimmer."

Last edited by hyperzulu; 11-29-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i M-Sport
damn, now they fked up the 3 series and probably on the verge to dilute the 1 as well!

I'm with 16n69 on how I feel.

The significance of the change in direction cuts deeper than merely staying alive in the market. BMW has not only been admired by drivers for their products but by businesses on their ability to differentiate the brand especially out of the rubble of post war challenges and expanding in overseas markets.

Understand that BMW barely escaped the jaws of death in 1959 and set a long term strategy by Herbert Quandt under the 'New Class' program which brought you the 1500, 2002, CS and eventually the 3 series which we all came to admire. It was a simple strategy that worked for 50 years - sporty sedans.

And by god, it was a strategy that fit me well when I purchased my E36 15 years ago and bonded me with the company in product, vision and passion.

BMW has chosen to move forward and to a new strategy. It was well planned and crafted by its current leadership - a leadership who believes without doing so would end the Blue and White. New watered down slogan, exit from Formula 1 racing, resurrecting the Isseta. C'mon. I don't believe everyone at BMW supported the strategy but they did not have much choice.

So unfortunately we get left behind and throwing a hot 1M out there once in a while ain't gonna compensate for what has been lost.

Years ago, 2 minutes into my first test drive in the E36 and later when moving to the E39 I was absolutely sold on the experience - true passion and bond with the car. So you can imagine my excitement when I first tried the F10. I was expecting to buy it that day but after the test drive I was not impressed and drove home in my 540 with a smile and never looked back since.

Anyway, if you've been around these cars for a while you will know and appreciate what I am talking about.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
So unfortunately we get left behind and throwing a hot 1M out there once in a while ain't gonna compensate for what has been lost.
Everything I've read so far suggests that the F30 328 will outperform the E90 328 in every measurable category - acceleration, skidpad, braking, weight, fuel economy, and more.

I'm sure head to head comparisons are being done right now. Assuming that the results are as expected, how is BMW leaving us behind with the F30? Excepting steering feel, engine smoothness, nostalgia for the E36, and other subjective points, clearly the F30 is a superior car to any 3 that came before it.

Unless you live in San Francisco and your E46 clears your tiny garage door opening only by an inch or two on either side (true for a friend of mine), I'm simply not seeing how this 3 series isn't a step forward. Especially if you happen to be comparing E90 to F30 335 cars, where the controversial move to the 4 cylinder engine isn't a factor.

Last edited by WillInDenver; 11-30-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Everything I've read so far suggests that the F30 328 will outperform the E90 328 in every measurable category - acceleration, skidpad, braking, weight, fuel economy, and more.

I'm sure head to head comparisons are being done right now. Assuming that the results are as expected, how is BMW leaving us behind with the F30? Excepting steering feel, engine smoothness, nostalgia for the E36, and other subjective points, clearly the F30 is a superior car to any 3 that came before it.

Unless you live in San Francisco and your E46 clears your tiny garage door opening only by an inch or two on either side (true for a friend of mine), I'm simply not seeing how this 3 series isn't a step forward. Especially if you happen to be comparing E90 to F30 335 cars, where the controversial move to the 4 cylinder engine isn't a factor.
Oh yeah, yada, yada, blah, blah...lots of cars "outperform the E90 328 in every measurable category - acceleration, skidpad, braking, weight, fuel economy, and more."
...but not many, if any had the "overall pkg."...and YES, that magic "FEEL", don't underestimate that...and the understated very DIFFERENT "look" of the interiors...and the exterior shape, even to the angle of the back of rear window...the slope of the car, the lines which make it look fast standing still(imitated by Benz, Honda, many others)...ALL of it, FAR more important than ""outperform the E90 328 in every measurable category - acceleration, skidpad, braking, weight, fuel economy, and more.".
INSTEAD...BMW has copied the new Mitsubishi (hood Line and whole car shape & design)...which is out already. What a joke!

Like one review said of the models prior to the F30 "sell-out"...I'll paraphrase "Like that one old ladies cookies, at the annual bake sale, that everybody wants..."
...that is what the 3 series ONCE was...the sum greater than the parts (or stats).
I'll take the "FEEL & LOOK" of BMW's historical quirky DIFFERENCES from all other sedans(coupes)...2002 model on...over "better "stats" on paper...and THAT is ALL it will be...ON PAPER.
When C&D ends the 3 series "Lovefest" you know we are in trouble

Last edited by 16n69; 11-30-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, yada, yada, blah, blah...lots of cars "outperform the E90 328 in every measurable category - acceleration, skidpad, braking, weight, fuel economy, and more."
...but not many, if any had the "overall pkg."...and YES, that magic "FEEL", don't underestimate that...and the understated very DIFFERENT "look" of the interiors...and the exterior shape, even to the angle of the back of rear window...the slope of the car, the lines which make it look fast standing still(imitated by Benz, Honda, many others)...ALL of it, FAR more important than ""outperform the E90 328 in every measurable category - acceleration, skidpad, braking, weight, fuel economy, and more.".
INSTEAD...BMW has copied the new Mitsubishi (hood Line and whole car shape & design)...which is out already. What a joke!

Like one review said of the models prior to the F30 "sell-out"...I'll paraphrase "Like that one old ladies cookies, at the annual bake sale, that everybody wants..."
...that is what the 3 series ONCE was...the sum greater than the parts (or stats).
I'll take the "FEEL & LOOK" of BMW's historical quirky DIFFERENCES from all other sedans(coupes)...2002 model on...over "better "stats" on paper...and THAT is ALL it will be...ON PAPER.
Your position is that the BMW F30 3 series is a deliberate copy of the Mitsubishi Lancer?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
[I]..BMW has copied the new Mitsubishi (hood Line and whole car shape & design)...which is out already. What a joke!..
That's coming from the "I didn't get exactly the car I wanted it to be, so i'll through out some crazy hyperbole and state it as truth" position.

It's funny how if you look up comments from when the e90 came out you'll see stuff like "the e90 looks like a honda" or "looks like a kia".

Quote:

So how was your test drive of the F30?

Last edited by 7or8; 11-30-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i 6MT LMB
Quote:

Come on, tell us how you REALLY feel.

But seriously, shouldn't you hold back a tad bit just in case this car turns out to be worthy of its name? Because you'd look mighty stupid if F30 ends up being very well received even by most of the enthusiasts.