Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The above several posts confirm the reduced steering road feel.

I had driven the new X3 with the sport and sport+ modes, they mostly changed throttle responses and gear shift points, if the adaptive suspension is included, will adjust the tensions too.

But they did not enhance the steering feel, at least not to the point it made much difference.

As a matter of fact, for all the cars I test drove before (not just BMW) that claimed adaptive steering capability by switching to some sport mode, they never made any noticeable difference, not a single one of them.

Unfortunately I fear that the unique BMW steering feel we come to know, may not be duplicated once they switch to electrical power steering. Similar to the smooth high revving nature of the N/A I6, cannot be duplicated once it is replaced.

That is not to say other enhancements cannot take their place. People will adapt to the new schemes. After all this is what separates our species from the others.

But a traditional BMW Way is lost.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i 6MT LMB
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post

BMWblog:
".. That said, if you are not going to push your 328i to its very limits on the racetrack or a twisty mountain back road, this decreased steering feel may not be much to your concern....."
That really seems like the most honest and strait to the point review of the new EPS to date.

But I'm not sure if I fully agree with the part I quoted. The review states that, at least on the dry, the EPS does give you enough feedback to gauge the traction limit. This is certainly a practical reason to have a lively steering, and one that matters when you push the car hard in a way that is usually not possible on a public road. So in this regard, the new steering delivers.

I would actually argue the opposite of what the review said. I think the area where the new EPS can be more boring than the old hydraulic rack is actually the routine spirited driving. Here, the wiggly, tactile sensation that some people, including some serious racing drivers, may consider "noise" has been what's endearing about the 3er steering to others, especially compared to the competition. It doesn't necessarily make you go faster, and you could even say it's just glorified steering kickback, but I like it, and many others do too. I suppose this is what is lost, as seems to be the case with the new 911 as well.

I would echo the comment that this does not mean that the car overall will be bad, but it's certainly one aspect of the car that I like a lot, and I'm sad to see that it's likely gone.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinZero View Post
Here, the wiggly, tactile sensation that some people, including some serious racing drivers, may consider "noise" has been what's endearing about the 3er steering to others...
As you so eloquently described the phenomenon, I began to cringe and understand why most people either don't care, or even fear it.

The best analogy I can use is this. I can agree it makes no sense to walk bare-footed everywhere you go. Even if your feet do not hurt, you are accustomed to the daily level of comfort to dislike the excessive sensory input from down under.

But the primal animal instinct in us occasionally drives us to run naked in the rain, through sand, stones and fire, even if it may make us suffer or go slower.

What bothers some of us is not that they are giving us a new pair of comfortable boots to wear so we can go faster, rather the realization that we will no longer be able to run with the boots off if we feel like it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:33 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
But the primal animal instinct in us occasionally drives us to run naked in the rain, through sand, stones and fire, even if it may make us suffer or go slower.
I've run naked through the rain and on sand, and even on stones. I don't think I'd ever want to run naked through fire though. I don't particularly care for roasted nuts.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: Vegas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
As you so eloquently described the phenomenon, I began to cringe and understand why most people either don't care, or even fear it.

The best analogy I can use is this. I can agree it makes no sense to walk bare-footed everywhere you go. Even if your feet do not hurt, you are accustomed to the daily level of comfort to dislike the excessive sensory input from down under.

What bothers some of us is not that they are giving us a new pair of comfortable boots to wear so we can go faster, rather the realization that we will no longer be able to run with the boots off if we feel like it.
I love to drive naked in the rain, and will continue to do so no matter what BMW does to the steering.
I am hope BMW does not make the ride so smooth that my 38DDD boobs no longer bounce nicely as that would ruin the visual dynamics for my passengers.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbabe69 View Post
I am hope BMW does not make the ride so smooth that my 38DDD boobs no longer bounce nicely as that would ruin the visual dynamics for my passengers.
Let me guess, without such visual dynamics as a distraction, all you will hear is him whining, you are too fast, you are too slow, you are following the car too closely, you stayed on the #1 lane too long, you cut in and out of the traffic for no reason...
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Quote:
I love to drive naked in the rain, and will continue to do so no matter what BMW does to the steering.
In what has become a traditional request where someone claims something that demands proof, "pics or it never happened"!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: Vegas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
In what has become a traditional request where someone claims something that demands proof, "pics or it never happened"!
Huh???
What never happened?
Think I have myself photo'd while doing this?
Does your wife or whoever in your sig, know you are requesting naked pics for proof of???
What, are you 12?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Quote:
Huh???
What never happened?
Think I have myself photo'd while doing this?
Does your wife or whoever in your sig, know you are requesting naked pics for proof of???
What, are you 12?
You obviously haven't been around here long enough to appreciate the phrase "pics or it didn't happen". Just search the forums for this phrase. You'll probably get hundreds of hits. It has nothing to do with you. It's called "calling someone's bluff". If I hadn't posted that someone else certainly would have.

And how mature are you to post under the name "bimmerbabe69" and claim that you have "38DDD boobs"? Whatever made you bring that up?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 335is View Post
If I hadn't posted that someone else certainly would have.
That is true, however, sometimes some things are better left to imagination, like this "38DDD," or the "roasted nuts."

To keep things on the topic, please let me point out, there are many who are very disappointed by the fact BMW "roasted" the kidneys, and killed the 35D.

Had BMW replaced them with roasted nuts in a 38D F30...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i 6MT LMB
One mention of boobs and this thread is in a complete disarray.

Last edited by SpinZero; 12-02-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinZero View Post
One mention of boobs and this thread is in a complete disarray.
Quite right, that post was positively titillating
...may bust this thread wide open
Old 12-03-2011, 03:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobrandfanboy View Post
Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

Bingo!
Audibrandfanboy, when did you come over to the F30 forum after persistently thrashing BMW in the F10 forum?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 AM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
Quote:
Nice. Good thing you won't need airbags, lifesavers those are...

Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Audibrandfanboy, when did you come over to the F30 forum after persistently thrashing BMW in the F10 forum?
Wait, so he was bashing the F10 perviously? sounds like a troll
Old 12-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Wait, so he was bashing the F10 perviously? sounds like a troll
F10 M5 is a beast and a 1/2...hope the give the M3 the same engine and make slot it as just the smaller, great handling track car ( and D.D. ) it has been.
If they cannot make it much lighter and must go F.I., then keep the V8. to make it faster than ever with great torque!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 13 335I
I am not concern with this review from C&D. However I will be concern if the 3 series is not on the 10 best list
Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy View Post
I am not concern with this review from C&D. However I will be concern if the 3 series is not on the 10 best list
BMW pays big advertising dollars to keep those magazines afloat - you can bet they'll be in the top 10.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
BMW pays big advertising dollars to keep those magazines afloat - you can bet they'll be in the top 10.
I hear this all the time but it's wrong IMO. Mercedes, Audi, GM, Ford, Chrysler and others also advertise in C and D and what good has that done them?
Old 12-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I hear this all the time but it's wrong IMO. Mercedes, Audi, GM, Ford, Chrysler and others also advertise in C and D and what good has that done them?
+1...you are very right there!
BMW have been there for a reason...but maybe their "run" is over with abandoning NA engines, hydraulic steering and ALL these driving "nannys" we don't need!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
Looking at the Car & Driver article photo's, I see that the computer read-out indicates the car has covered 765 km and the fuel economy attained thus far is 12.6 l/100km. Now this may actually be representative of the current tank of fuel, but it does equate to around (US) 18.7 mpg. Like I say, this may be what the car is delivering during the course of spirited journalist track and road driving, but it does give a hint to how high the fuel consumption of this four cylinder could be if not driven with fuel economy in mind.....