Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi A6 TDI
Unlike the 5 series this new 3 hasn't focused solely on luxury at the expense of it's sporty nature, what the F30 has done is combined the two in a manner that no rival has achieved and only when Audi, Lexus, Mercedes and Jaguar show their replacements will we truly know just how big of an achievement this new 3 series is.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Have you read the reviews so far of the F30 and seen the video's? Most have said the F30 is the best handling 3 series yet.

Also, while you can say the 5 and 7 series have shifted towards luxury that doesn't make it true of the 3 series and the reviews so far show the 3 series to continue the DNA of the previous 3 series models.
that's great then, it sounds like it is hands down the best handling 3 series ever

so there is no need to even have a discussion about electronic power steering, it looks like everyone's fears are completely unfounded.

Of course I don't rely upon car reviews much at all, since they are all advertising *****s and they almost always kiss BMW's a$$ even when they shouldn't.

I thought there was a real dispute about steering/handling, but it seems like all reviewers claim this is the greatest sports sedan ever, so that settles that.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post
that's great then, it sounds like it is hands down the best handling 3 series ever

so there is no need to even have a discussion about electronic power steering, it looks like everyone's fears are completely unfounded.

Of course I don't rely upon car reviews much at all, since they are all advertising *****s and they almost always kiss BMW's a$$ even when they shouldn't.

I thought there was a real dispute about steering/handling, but it seems like all reviewers claim this is the greatest sports sedan ever, so that settles that.
I'm not saying the EPS is the be all and end all and it's probably not as good as the e90 steering but you are claiming the 3 series is going the way of the 5 series which looks to be completely wrong despite your skepticism about car reviews. By the way these same reviewers panned the 5 series and rated the S4 as better than the 335i.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer View Post

Yes, your right, I completely agree; there's no way for us to know for sure until we can try it out ourselves.

And I'm sure most of us here don't believe magazine review completely because all of us have had experience liking or disliking a car that many magazine reviewers had an opposite take on.

What was irking though, to me personally at least, is how it seems that as soon as many here heard 'electronic steering', they immediately when down the path of "the f30 doesn't feel as good as the e90", and "I love my e90 and will not buy another 3 series, cause they just killed it." This, while dismissing any comments by reviewer that said anything to the contrary. So yeah, maybe in trying to bring some balance, we went to far in the opposite direction. We'll only really know in Feb. Internet forums bring out the swashbucklers in us all at times

Last edited by 7or8; 11-22-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Ahh! Fall Weather!

Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
Yeah except that the fuel economy standards (CAFE) are making all manufactures feel they have to go eps. CAFE sets rules as to where manufacturers need to be a few years down the line as far as fuel economy. BMW, Porsche, and others have to start finding ways to meet those goals now, so they're not left scrambling last minute. Hydraulic systems are more fuel thirsty, so they're moving away from them. Why else would Porsche go that route? Not cause they wanted to.
Good point about Porsche. In the mid-1970's we had long lines at gas stations because of OPEC controlling the oil supply to raise prices. The US has learned absolutely nothing about controlling our own energy future in all this time since. To help the rebels in Iraq, we should have made them agree to pay us with their oil if we won. But no! We lost American lives and money for NOTHING!! Off shore drilling-no good. Drilling in Alaska-no good. So now we have to drive dummied down cars as a result.

Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-09/02/2014: 9.25 great years on Bimmerfest!!!

Last edited by hpowders; 11-22-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
This thread is about road feel through the steering wheel, about the most unique trait in a 3 compared to other competing brands.

All the reviews so far have played down or completely ignored this issue. What they don't review, cannot be held against them.

IMHO, once the N/A I6 is gone, the unique steering feel is about the only thing that can clearly set the new 328i apart from the competing brands.

It is of course possible the sum of the gains reported above will out weigh this once loss, but for the purpose of this thread, a valid point is raised.

BTW, I am not complaining. Most Lexus, Audi and MB drivers are used to numb steering feel, since BMW is going after them, numbing it down may be a selling point.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpowders View Post
...So now we have to drive dummied down cars as a result.
I know I think we're stuck with this type of crap going forward until we either master hybrid technology, or get some real commitment behind hydrogen. Though, I think developing hydrogen technology would take some real serious govt backing.. and our govt can't even get a budget passed without resorting to 2 yr old behavior...so that ain't gonna happin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
IMHO, once the N/A I6 is gone, the unique steering feel is about the only thing that can clearly set the new 328i apart from the competing brands.

It is of course possible the sum of the gains reported above will out weigh this once loss, but for the purpose of this thread, a valid point is raised.
Agreed.

Last edited by 7or8; 11-22-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Agreed.
Of course for some, the sum of the gains might not overcome this one loss.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Of course for some, the sum of the gains might not overcome this one loss.
Agree to that as well. I, for one, would be very sad.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
I think the steering will be nice and smooth. At low speeds, the e90 has very heavy steering, i think at low speeds the f30 will have lighter steering, possible slightly less feel(although every person perceives things differently) I am looking forward to the new steering, i will not be ordering the optional variable ratio steering.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I would not go near a BMW with EPS till another 2 years when they sort out reliability
Old 11-23-2011, 01:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
This thread is about road feel through the steering wheel, about the most unique trait in a 3 compared to other competing brands.

All the reviews so far have played down or completely ignored this issue. What they don't review, cannot be held against them.
Got to be kidding, handling of the car doesn't include steering feel?? Read the reviews again, some do talk about the steering.

Last edited by bm323; 11-23-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Except all of the car magazines say it is the sport sedan of choice and is even better at this than the newer Audi A4.
There was at least one C/D article that didn't exactly give the F30 rave reviews. That should get a mention as well don't you think?

Quote:
You and others seem to dislike that there are added luxury and electronic features. These do not reduce the driving dynamics.
How do you know this? Have you had the chance to drive an F30? There are serveral member of this forum who have driven the F10 with these same electronics that say otherwise. I know this is all subjective but it's worth a mention.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: E92
Quote:
Yeah except that the fuel economy standards (CAFE) are making all manufactures feel they have to go eps. CAFE sets rules as to where manufacturers need to be a few years down the line as far as fuel economy. BMW, Porsche, and others have to start finding ways to meet those goals now, so they're not left scrambling last minute. Hydraulic systems are more fuel thirsty, so they're moving away from them. Why else would Porsche go that route? Not cause they wanted to.
How many more MPG's will EPS increase as opposed to non-EPS?
Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
There was at least one C/D article that didn't exactly give the F30 rave reviews. That should get a mention as well don't you think?

How do you know this? Have you had the chance to drive an F30? There are serveral member of this forum who have driven the F10 with these same electronics that say otherwise. I know this is all subjective but it's worth a mention.
I don't think an F10 and F30 comparison is valid. Two very different cars.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
How many more MPG's will EPS increase as opposed to non-EPS?
I've read it's about 4%. Overall the F30 is projected to get about 15% better mileage than the e90 328.