Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The future is now! The all new 6 series coupe (F12) and convertible (F13) details are out and dealers are taking orders. Still no word on when the 4 door Gran Coupe will go into production.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
2012 650i Vert... Some Questions

Hi all,

Greetings... new to the forum

Anyway, just picked up my 650i and was reading the manual. I came across a few things that weren't on the BMWUSA options list and I was curious if any of you know if these are for overseas models or if the manual just had material that never made it to the actual production:

1. Soft Close Doors. It's printed in the manual but the dealer said it wasnt an available option.
2. Rear fog Lamps. It's in the manual but not in my car
3. The manual shows three buttons on the center console. One is for the side view cameras, the other one is for parking assistant and the top one. I cant make out what it is, but mine doesnt have it. Is it the Hill Descent Control for the X-Drive model? What does it do?
Also,
4. How can you tell if you have brake force display brake lights without slamming your brakes in front of your friend to check them lol
5. The trunk lid doesnt open when I press the button on the FOB or in the car. I hear it clicking something in the latch but the trunk doesnt actually pop open. Is it supposed to?

My Sixer:
2012 650i Vert
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating
Driver Assistance
20" Wheels (V spoke)
Integral Active Steering
Premium Sound
BMW Apps
Ceramic Controls
Leather Instrument Panel

Thank you very much in advance!

Jon
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2011, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Comments inline... and Congrats on the new ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Hi all,

Greetings... new to the forum

Anyway, just picked up my 650i and was reading the manual. I came across a few things that weren't on the BMWUSA options list and I was curious if any of you know if these are for overseas models or if the manual just had material that never made it to the actual production:

1. Soft Close Doors. It's printed in the manual but the dealer said it wasnt an available option.

[TopDown] It's not available in the US, even as a special order - I asked.

2. Rear fog Lamps. It's in the manual but not in my car

[TopDown] Not sure on this one. Anyone else?

3. The manual shows three buttons on the center console. One is for the side view cameras, the other one is for parking assistant and the top one. I cant make out what it is, but mine doesnt have it. Is it the Hill Descent Control for the X-Drive model? What does it do?

[TopDown] There is a Driver's Assist package that has the camera features. Remember the manual is written to cover just about damn near anything that can be in the car, even if you don't have that option.

Also,
4. How can you tell if you have brake force display brake lights without slamming your brakes in front of your friend to check them lol

[TopDown] Hmmm... good question. Probably need a friend to drive behind you (but not too closely )

5. The trunk lid doesnt open when I press the button on the FOB or in the car. I hear it clicking something in the latch but the trunk doesnt actually pop open. Is it supposed to?

[TopDown] in the convertibles, the trunk doesn't pop up - this is by design. Since the boot and the trunk *could* techincally hit one another, they make it so the trunk doesn't pop up.

My Sixer:
2012 650i Vert
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating
Driver Assistance
20" Wheels (V spoke)
Integral Active Steering
Premium Sound
BMW Apps
Ceramic Controls
Leather Instrument Panel

[TopDown] You can put all the stuff about your car in your signature. Click "UserCP" in the black menu bar, and then "Edit Signature" on the left nav and place all the above there so everytime you post it's listed!

Thank you very much in advance!

[TopDown] Welcome to the Fest!!!

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan

Last edited by TopDownInFL; 11-17-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i c
1. Soft close doors is an option that I have not seen at BMWUSA for the 2012 650, my previous M6 had it.
2. Rear fog lights is for Europe (mandatory there).
3. Do not know.
4. Guessing is the only way.
5. I use the BMW logo as a handle.

Congratulations for your new 650i
Old 11-17-2011, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 640i F12, Cooper S, Smart
Hello and congrats with your new baby
I'm living in Scandinavia and specifications might be different here.

1) My car is fitted with code 0323 Soft Close. Not a necessity but nice.
2) Rear fog lamps is mandatory in most European countries. May be it is prohibited in the US for some reason?
3) Don't have it, don't know.
5) I asked about this myself when I got the car. It only unlocks by pushing the button. Then you have to lift the lid yourself. Unlike like the F10 Touring (to mention a BMW which actually has this feature).

Show us some pic's of your car!

2012 BMW 640i F12
2010 Smart Fortwo Passion - to be replaced by a proper car winter 2012
2005 Mini Cooper S - love it!
X: BMW Z3 2.8, DeTomaso Pantera, Porsche 928s, BMW 732i, BMW 323i, BMW 2002

Last edited by Superschnell; 11-17-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Thank you very much, all for the prompt replies! This car was a gift to myself for making it through a tour in Afghanistan. I just got back two weeks ago

I have the soft close doors on my X6. I think they are an elegant feature but no biggie. I find myself not closing the doors all the way on the 650 now lol, but I will get used to it. I just dont want to slam them either.

Lack of rear fog lamps are not a big deal. Just wanted to make sure BMW didnt forget something when they built mine lol. I remember older models having them here in the US, not necessarily BMW's, but I seen other cars with them. Particularly Saab. Maybe it looks too much like a brake light.

I looked at the standard features on the 650i and 650Xi on BMWUSA. Apparently, the X-Drive version has a Hill Descent Control and the regular i doesnt. Also, after looking closely at the illustrations in the manual, that third button looks like the HDC button on my X6. I'm assuming thats what it is. Maybe someone with an X-Drive model can confirm this...

Makes sense with the trunk lid and convertible top. They could have easily put a "block" on the trunk lid when the top is in transition but oh well. Just like the convenience of being able to pop the trunk lid with the FOB while walking to the car with groceries in hand.

TopDown, thanks for the heads up on the sig block. Was too lazy to do it last night so I just wanted to quickly jot down my options and packages so there were no follow on questions to my questions. I should get on that lol.

Thank you all again for the replies. This is a great forum. I'm loving my new 650.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
FYI soft close door components seem to be in short supply. Several 2012 models including the 6 series, 528/535 have them removed as an option for U.S. markets.

Curiously the 550 still can get them.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Interesting...

On a side note, is anyone else getting condensation behind the lower portion of the headlights lens? Not the actual projector, but the whole headlight lens assembly... I was always under the belief that the condensation is caused by bad seals for the headlight assembly. It is bi-lateral though
Old 11-18-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Interesting...

On a side note, is anyone else getting condensation behind the lower portion of the headlights lens? Not the actual projector, but the whole headlight lens assembly... I was always under the belief that the condensation is caused by bad seals for the headlight assembly. It is bi-lateral though
This happened alot with the e63/64's as well - it usually was a seal problem.

Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM

I figured... Thanks
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: `11 MSport 750ix/`08 135i
The soft-close doors are very nice to have IMO.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 11-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Rear fogs were installed in the US E63/64 but the switch was not. A few different ways to get access to them. I cannot vouch for the F12/13 but I imagine it is the same deal. Get a euro style switch or pop it out and make your own.

Rear fogs are not 'allowed' in the US because there is no legislation dictating how they are used. AFAIK in Europe it is quite specific how to use them and this knowledge is expected of all drivers. The enforcement to use this type of light in the US is a little gray. It is unlawful to intentionally distract other drivers with blinding lights. It is also unlawful to imitate a Law Enforcement Officer. Depending on how you use a rear fog light in the US and depending on who is watching (read: which cop) you can be ticketed for tinkering around with them.

I don't know of any plans to change this, which is a shame, since in the foggy mountains it would be very useful.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 11-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Given how Americans add fogs to make their car "cool", and add to that the fact that I drove in front a car yesterday with add-on fogs angled so far up it was blinding me, I'm glad we don't have them in America. One less thing to be used improperly.

Previous Bimmers:
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 11-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Carrera x51 cab
Quote:
Interesting...

I noticed this when I first brougth it home, and I haven't seen it since. But I am keeping an eye on it.

2006 Sapphire Black Metallic 650Ic/Cream Beige/Yeah mine has that too.

2007 Sapphire Black metallic (I swear it is blacker)/Cream Beige

2008 Sapphire Black Metallic/Black 650Ic ED Pick-Up 25.1.2008

2009 Sapphire Black/Portland M6

2012 Sapphire Black Metallic 650i/Vermillion Red ED 8.8.2011