Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E92 335i Coupe
New BMW F30 Photo Gallery and Review Round Up

There are quite a few discussions out there talking about all the different reviews of the 328i that have been posted around on the major media sites. Here is a list of links to each review discussion and a link to the new photo gallery of pictures from Spain.

Update 11/17/2011 - USA MSRP released for the 2012 335i and 328i

First up we have the reviews....

Autocar Claims the new 3 Series Improves over the E9X in Every Way

Automobile Mag - BMW F30 2012 3 Series - First Drive

Car and Driver First BMW F30 2012 3 Series Road Test Impressions

InsideLine's First Drive of the 2012 BMW 328i 3 Series F30

Motor Trend First Drive: 2012 BMW 3 Series

WhatCar? BMW 2012 328i First Drive - All you need to know

and now the pictures

BMW 3 Series F30 On Location Spain Photo Shoot
More about New BMW F30 Photo Gallery and Review Round Up

BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 1BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 2BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 3BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 4BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 5BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 6BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 7BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 8BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 9BMW-2012-3-Series-F30-Spain 10

Advertisement
Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Another review from WhatCar? added to the list -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=582260
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E90
BMW blew it. The more pictures I see, the worse it looks. The inside looks like it belongs in a Lexus, not a GERMAN BMW. I sold my Audi last July,waiting for the NEW BMW. What a mistake. I have never owned a BMW, and it looks like I never will. Bmw should have kept it German, and not turned it into another Japanese clon. The sat/nav sticking out of the dash looks like a stuck on "Garman" unit. A red strip on the dash? This is not 1970. This is not sport, it is just crap. I'm going back to Audi. Too bad, I wanted to like the new bimmer.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Msport View Post
BMW blew it. The more pictures I see, the worse it looks. The inside looks like it belongs in a Lexus, not a GERMAN BMW. I sold my Audi last July,waiting for the NEW BMW. What a mistake. I have never owned a BMW, and it looks like I never will. Bmw should have kept it German, and not turned it into another Japanese clon. The sat/nav sticking out of the dash looks like a stuck on "Garman" unit. A red strip on the dash? This is not 1970. This is not sport, it is just crap. I'm going back to Audi. Too bad, I wanted to like the new bimmer.
People usually say this until they drive one and then get back in their car. Then the BMW interior will no longer matter.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
So, you don't buy performance cars for how they perform, but for the badge they carry. You wouldn't like BMW anyway. Don't let the door hit you in the butt.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:

whats up with all the trolls on this site all of a sudden? If you dont like bmw anymore, have fun with audi or mercedes And unless you are getting an S audi, audis suck ass.

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-30-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
I recently sold my 08 535i and got into a 2012 335i coupe. The new F10 does not look that edgy/sporty/ anymore. I contemplated if I should wait for the F30 but I have to agree with Tim, the more I see the pictures the more I don't like it. I'm sure that I'll eventually get used to the F30 and maybe like it. That's what happened when I eventually started liking the E60 and got one. Test driving was also part of it.

Anyways, I'm really happy with my 2012 335i coupe (still miss the E60 a bit) and hope to resist waiting until the next gen after F30 to move on.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
Ok, its growing on me already! Maybe is the lower quality images and red color I've seen that wasn't doing it for me. Check out this dark gray! beatiful!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F30.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	303040  
Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 AM

Thats actually that havanaqa whatever you call it brown... i think.

But mineral grey does look great, thats what i am ordering
Old 12-10-2011, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to post as I just signed a deal for a new 2011 335i xDrive 6 speed.

I wanted to special order a new 2012 to get exactly what I wanted and the European delivery. I first researched the new 2012 and found the xDrive won't be available until late 2012. I also found that the new model (in my opinion) appears to have been changed with the aim to save money. This is what turned me off to the 2012:

- Only available in specific trim levels – less customization saves build cost

- Pictures of the interior look more like a Honda or Toyota than a BMW. There is less wood trim, seating is not as classy (note oyster/black combo does not appear to be available anymore, except on 5 series), and nav looks like a Garmin attached to the dash. Again, this saves costs, as they do not have to make 2 dashboards anymore. If you order a nav, they just bolt it onto the dash.

- ECO Mode – did not find many details on this, but I do not want my engine turning off when I am at a stoplight. If I wanted this, I would buy a Prius.

- While I wasn’t interested in a 328i, I can’t believe they are switching from the silky smooth, naturally aspirated, straight six to a more complicated i4 turbo.

This begs the question; where else did they skimp on this car? Luckily I was able to find almost exactly what I wanted in a 2011, and got a great discount on top of it.

The only thing I saw on the 2012 that I liked was the Heads Up Display, which I wish was available on the 2011. I’ll sacrifice the HUD for the higher build quality.

Just wanted to pass on my experience, hope it helps those who debating a 2011 vs a 2012.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezster View Post
I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to post as I just signed a deal for a new 2011 335i xDrive 6 speed.

I wanted to special order a new 2012 to get exactly what I wanted and the European delivery. I first researched the new 2012 and found the xDrive won't be available until late 2012. I also found that the new model (in my opinion) appears to have been changed with the aim to save money. This is what turned me off to the 2012:

- Pictures of the interior look more like a Honda or Toyota than a BMW. There is less wood trim, seating is not as classy (note oyster/black combo does not appear to be available anymore, except on 5 series), and nav looks like a Garmin attached to the dash. Again, this saves costs, as they do not have to make 2 dashboards anymore. If you order a nav, they just bolt it onto the dash.

- ECO Mode – did not find many details on this, but I do not want my engine turning off when I am at a stoplight. If I wanted this, I would buy a Prius.

- While I wasn't interested in a 328i, I can't believe they are switching from the silky smooth, naturally aspirated, straight six to a more complicated i4 turbo.

This begs the question; where else did they skimp on this car? Luckily I was able to find almost exactly what I wanted in a 2011, and got a great discount on top of it.

The only thing I saw on the 2012 that I liked was the Heads Up Display, which I wish was available on the 2011. I'll sacrifice the HUD for the higher build quality.

Just wanted to pass on my experience, hope it helps those who debating a 2011 vs a 2012.
Guess you dont prefer upgrades in performance, efficiency, or technology. You made a good choice with the E90.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6
Quote:

- While I wasn’t interested in a 328i, I can’t believe they are switching from the silky smooth, naturally aspirated, straight six to a more complicated i4 turbo.

The only thing I saw on the 2012 that I liked was the Heads Up Display, which I wish was available on the 2011. I’ll sacrifice the HUD for the higher build quality.

I think the new one looks way better than the old sedan. 2011 coupe is great looking though. Interior imho looks better. It is very clean with harmonious lines spanning across multiple surfaces. The N20 engine is a winner and one of the best engines bmw has made according to early reviews and reviews of the z roadster. Solid power and relentless torque at low RPMs. Did I mention better fuel economy? Pretty much every review so far as praised the handling despite of the electronic steering. The new transmission is astonishingly quick and is a joy to drive. A lot of the advanced technology found in 5 & 7 series is now available for the f30.

I think BMW has done quite well.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:

I just wanted to address a couple of your complaints. On ECO mode, allowing the engine to automatically turn off and on is selectable by the driver. On the trim lines, you can build a car without any trim line, though you'll have less choices. The change to turbo engines is driven by government mileage and emissions standards; you should be glad you can still get a performance car. 10 years from now, that might not be the case.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
I'll throw in here I'm very excited to drive a 2012 328i 6-speed manual. What I've seen on here is that 80-90% of the bimmerfest enthusiasts now show excitement over a great new automatic transmission - and this is reflected in the test drives journalists have gotten, all of which have been auto transmissions (Maybe I missed a manual test drive?).

It's an interesting day when the majority of enthusiasts of BMW's "sports sedan", on a BMW dedicated website, are clamoring for the less driver-involving choice. That's not a criticism, but it does tell me why BMW is making each subsequent model more coddling. It's not that their moving more mainstream - it's that their base is moving and BMW is following their base.

I test drove a new x328 the other day. This is a current gen naturally aspirated 3.0 liter attached to an 8-speed trans.

The engine had amazing giddyup for a small displacement 6 in a 2-ton AWD SUV - very impressive. It sounded like crap to me - I'd actually be annoyed with its sound if I owned it.

The trans was damn impressive - quick to shift, always in a powerband, smoothest auto trans I've ever been in. 8 forward gears is great. Neither my wife nor I could get into driving it....we missed a 3rd pedal, the feeling of slipping the clutch against the flywheel, and the choice of pushing a shifter into the desired gear.

My wife will probably end up going with a last-generation 528i/535i wagon because she can't get an x3 in manual trans....so that's where I'm coming from.

Regardless, very excited for the new 3 series. I'm postponing my purchase of an e39 m5 until I can determine if it'd be better for me to pick-up a new 2012 328/335 ED.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I'll throw in here I'm very excited to drive a 2012 328i 6-speed manual. What I've seen on here is that 80-90% of the bimmerfest enthusiasts now show excitement over a great new automatic transmission - and this is reflected in the test drives journalists have gotten, all of which have been auto transmissions (Maybe I missed a manual test drive?).

It's an interesting day when the majority of enthusiasts of BMW's "sports sedan", on a BMW dedicated website, are clamoring for the less driver-involving choice. That's not a criticism, but it does tell me why BMW is making each subsequent model more coddling. It's not that their moving more mainstream - it's that their base is moving and BMW is following their base.

I test drove a new x328 the other day. This is a current gen naturally aspirated 3.0 liter attached to an 8-speed trans.

The engine had amazing giddyup for a small displacement 6 in a 2-ton AWD SUV - very impressive. It sounded like crap to me - I'd actually be annoyed with its sound if I owned it.

The trans was damn impressive - quick to shift, always in a powerband, smoothest auto trans I've ever been in. 8 forward gears is great. Neither my wife nor I could get into driving it....we missed a 3rd pedal, the feeling of slipping the clutch against the flywheel, and the choice of pushing a shifter into the desired gear.

My wife will probably end up going with a last-generation 528i/535i wagon because she can't get an x3 in manual trans....so that's where I'm coming from.

Regardless, very excited for the new 3 series. I'm postponing my purchase of an e39 m5 until I can determine if it'd be better for me to pick-up a new 2012 328/335 ED.
Yea, those manuals are smooth as butter. I was initially going to get a manual, but after driving a z4 28i(same N20 engine, and sport automatic) i was just to impressed, the upshifts were lightning quick. Much quicker than the ZF in my 335. One day i will own a manual tho.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Question

Quote:
How is it you list a BMW E90 as your "mein auto" , but say, "I have never owned a BMW, and it looks like I never will."
Old 12-13-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Guess you dont prefer upgrades in performance, efficiency, or technology. You made a good choice with the E90.
What are the performance upgrades? Does the 2012 328i have more HP than the 2011? I don't think there is any performance difference in the 2012 335i vs the 2011.

What are the numbers on fuel efficiency, and do these numbers include the ECO start/stop? In other words, I wonder how much more efficient the i4 turbo vs vs. the straight six (backing out the ECO Pro improvements for someone like me who would turn it off)?

There are also efficiencies in going to an 8 speed auto, although some reviewers have complained in 8 speed autos (not on BMWs specifically, I think it was a Benz review) that they are constantly shifting. I guess looking at the manual transmission numbers would tell the story.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post

As a previous E46 M3 owner, I can say the 335i xDrive is a great alternative for driving in DC where we get some snow. Even though the traffic is bad, I still opted for the manual for complete control over the car (hope I don't regret this when in gridlock). The performance upgrade for the 335i (gives the performance of the 335is - 320 HP) makes this car about as fast as my old M3. Time will tell, I get my 335i in about 2 weeks, but won't know for sure until after the break-in period!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
You could add this to the list of reviews. Very positive!
http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/12/02/ra...2012-bmw-328i/

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
You could add this to the list of reviews. Very positive!
http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/12/02/ra...2012-bmw-328i/
holy ****!!!

Quote:
Word through the grapevine states that an independent magazine has already had the N20 on the dyno, and it produced 230 hp at the wheels – meaning this engine has been underrated and actually produces closer to 265 hp at the crank.