Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i
Active Stearing

Anyone have any experience with this option? I just ordered it with my 135i, i got one response in a different bmw forum saying that people dont like it. But wondering if you all could share some info on it good or bad.
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
You can do a search on the 3er forum, generally it's a mixed bag of comments. My mother's E90 has it on the 325i and I like it as a performance option, as it's great on winding roads and highway speeds (I don't care that it makes parking easy). The ratio always seems to be right so no matter what speed I take a corner, I'm not going hand-over-hand on the steering wheel and it does make driving fast much easier. Plus, the crosswind compensation is a nice benefit as well, and it works with DSC to slightly offset any oversteer factor provided DSC is switched on. None of these are perceptible to the driver., it all feels pretty natural.

However if the car is only going to see mostly urban driving, I wouldn't bother with it. It's not really intended to be a parking aid.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
The CPO '07 328i wagon I purchased last year has Active Steering and frankly, I feel it is unneccessary and somewhat distracting. The overall feel of the AS would seem to be more in keeping with a luxury 7 series than a (hopefully) more driver oriented 135i.

As my other Bimmer is a 128i 'vert with ZSP & conventional (servotronic) steering, switching from one to the other requires some caution at low speeds due to the quicker ratio with the Active Steering. This seems to promote low speed understeer with the conventional steering and oversteer with the AS. And at highway speeds, I don't feel that the AS equipped wagon is any more stable than my 128i - which is part of the justification of the variable ratio.

If you have test driven a 135i with conventional steering and did not find the steering effort to be to heavy (as some have claimed), then I would cancel the Active Steering option and save yourself some money. Also, alignments are more expensive, requiring at least one hour more labor according to my dealer.

Ultimately, you would get used to the AS, especially if that is the only vehicle you drive - but I find that it seems much less connected to the road than non AS.

Obviously, just one person's opinion...

Tom
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
The alignment for my mom's 325i cost the same when done at the dealer. The tech said it didn't require particular special work/labor/charges aside from noting in the computer system that it had the system.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 640i F12, Cooper S, Smart
I believe the active steering has developed. On my F12 it communicates a lot better than previous models, so I don't miss the conventional steering at all. I won't say it's better, but it's not worse either. On some models it has other features as well (like 4wheel steering)
Allthough I normally do not use the car in urban traffic, at least i appreciate the easiness when manoevering in garages .

I would buy it again!

2012 BMW 640i F12
2010 Smart Fortwo Passion - to be replaced by a proper car winter 2012
2005 Mini Cooper S - love it!
X: BMW Z3 2.8, DeTomaso Pantera, Porsche 928s, BMW 732i, BMW 323i, BMW 2002
Old 11-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks for all the info, I just shot a email to the company that I'm buying from....sadly the last day to make changes (officially) was the 15th.... I just hope the cut me some slack and take it off. But judging by your responses it sounds like AS isn't going to be horrible. This car will be my primary car so I"m sure i can get used to it if i had to...
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Oh dear. Just when we thought we had made some progress with "breaking."

Last edited by ProRail; 11-17-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Unnatural fascination with the "ea" fetish
Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Servotronic and Active Steering are both options here. Neither are on my short "must have" list.

=============

Breaking is what cowboys do to horses.

Stearing is what cowboys do to young bulls.

No wait that's wrong. I mean "You can break a horse but you can't steer a bull."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecomm_show_image-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	301599  

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 11-17-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 AM

Well i got a email back from the company, they took off active steering! So I'm happy about that for sure. Thanks to all of you for your quick replies so i was able to take this option off in time.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Servotronic and Active Steering are both options here. Neither are on my short "must have" list.
:
IIRC, Servotronic is standard in all US BMWs. It simply varies the amount of steering boost according to speed, rather than by RPM as in other systems. OTOH, Active Steering varies the steering (or stearing, if you prefer) ratio - the degree to which the front wheels deflect compared to the movement of the steering wheel.

Tom

Last edited by Tom K.; 11-18-2011 at 08:20 AM.