Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 16' 328xi Sport Wagon
Best Self-Applied Paint Sealant

I've been looking around for a good paint sealant and investigated some professional applications, but not sure they're worth the cost. Modesto was $1600! What are some good, easy to apply, sealants?

Thanks.

Mods: Dinan Stage 1 / Volk ZE40 Diamond Dark Gunmetal / BMS Titanium Lug Bolts / ATM FMIC / Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe / BMS Oil Catch Can / Spectra PhotoSync 75% Windshield, 55% All-Around & Sunroof / Suntek PPF / Cargo Net / Sunshade
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2015, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
Optimum Opti™ Clean simplifies car care. You don't have to have a garage full of products to have a clean, shiny vehicle. You just need Optimum Opti™ Clean.

Directions:

Spray liberally on painted surfaces and wipe clean with a plush microfiber towel. Fold and use a new section of the towel as needed. For glass and interior surfaces, apply one or two sprays and wipe off with a clean, plush microfiber towel. For lower panels and wheels, spray liberally and let it soak for a few seconds and then wipe off. When there is heavy dirt build up, use Optimum No Rinse™.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBreadbeard View Post
I've been looking around for a good paint sealant and investigated some professional applications, but not sure they're worth the cost. Modesto was $1600! What are some good, easy to apply, sealants?

Thanks.
I've read good things about Opti-seal. I'm going to use it on my ED 328i when it arrives from Munich
Old 11-16-2015, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 16' 328xi Sport Wagon
I've heard mixed things about the various Opticoat products. Everyone loved it before the 2.0 reformulation, but after that it's a mixed bag. One professional installer I talked to even said they are not offering it anymore because they've seen the new version fail too much.

I've been recommended Sonax Netshield, with or without a top coat of wax. Thoughts?

Mods: Dinan Stage 1 / Volk ZE40 Diamond Dark Gunmetal / BMS Titanium Lug Bolts / ATM FMIC / Evolution Racewerks Charge Pipe / BMS Oil Catch Can / Spectra PhotoSync 75% Windshield, 55% All-Around & Sunroof / Suntek PPF / Cargo Net / Sunshade
Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBreadbeard View Post
I've heard mixed things about the various Opticoat products. Everyone loved it before the 2.0 reformulation, but after that it's a mixed bag. One professional installer I talked to even said they are not offering it anymore because they've seen the new version fail too much.

I've been recommended Sonax Netshield, with or without a top coat of wax. Thoughts?

Not true. Opti-Coat 2.0 was revised for the consumer (longer working time before it flashed). Now 2.0 has been replaced by Gloss-Coat. OptiCoat is their professional product. Opti-Seal is not a coating, but rather a wipe-on-walk-away (no need to buff off residue/hazing).

I've got 2.0 on an '06 Murano, '00 S80, and the wheels of all four of our family vehicles. I strongly recommend Opti products. The Murano was last treated over 3.5 years ago, and is still strong after weekly washes since. The coating on the wheels of the Bimmer is going on 5 years and still makes wheel cleanup easy and spotless.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Well there are 'coatings' on the market and there are 'sealants' - I detail my car pretty often and I have used Chemical Guys JetSeal as an easy to use sealant that gives up to a year of protection of maintained properly (no automatic car washes )
Old 11-30-2015, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
Bimmergirl is correct, OP is probably talking about about coatings, not sealants. The problem with a coating is that, although "permanent," it still gets scuffed up, swirled, etc. over time. It beads water for a long time, but a perfectionist isn't going to like the finish after a year or two. I've gone back to just using sealants. They last several months and are easy to apply. Pick any one of the top 20 sealants, they're all good.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search