Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 04-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Confessions of a detail virgin

Until today, I had only thought and wondered how you guys get your cars looking SO awesome for the pics that you take. Until I got to know a very special Detail forum member- F1Crazy- I had no idea how I would even attempt to get MY car looking so great. Until today, I thought I was paying good money for my trusted detail guy to do his work.

Boys, this detail virgin is a new man.. And, I owe it ALL to F1Crazy...

The process began as a full wash. On F1's advice, I had bought and tried Meguire's NXT for the wheels last weekend. I HAD been using P21S, and was happy enough, but thought maybe I could get something to repel dust better. I generally do the wheels first and then throw out the water 'cause I think they're most difficult. They were done with soap and water in about 15 minutes!

The car was finished and dried- ready for the magic that F1 would next display- the clay bar. This was one available at Walmart- on closeout- for $7.50 with the LOOB-ricant. I simply could NOT believe the difference. The paint wasnt the smoothest BEFORE, and the reflections in the paint not the brightest, but after the clay- ICE- or so I thought. I had never used a clay bar, but F1 had me stretching clay, spraying paint, and cleaing like a pro in minutes!

Next was the 1Z polish- which he'd never tried and was anxious to test out. The Porter Cable spun away at section after section. First on 3 to work fresh polish and next on 5 to finish the section off before wiping with Costco towels. BOOM!! Slick as melted butter on teflon. And the reflection? Mirror- and on a SILVER car!

Next was Klasse AIO (see there- say it like a pro, already!). We didnt think it possible for MORE shine to come through.. but whataya know? This applied with the PC on 3 and never higher.

Finally was Klasse Sealant Glaze applied by hand. Where streaks occured, we (really, HE) worked them out with Meguire's Final Detail. I worked the polish over by using a few polishing swipes over the whole car.

The car is simply stunning! F1 is just about the most generous and patient guy I've ever met, letting me use all HIS products and HIS PC. I told my wife that I feel as empowered today as I did when I was taught to change my own oil in the 2002 at 16. I am sore but feeling like I'm on top of the world!

Without this board, I would have never met F1 or had this great feeling of empowerment. I would still be spending $$$$ on quarterly details. Of course, I would likely not have just gone to a Autotopia/BimmerCarCare/North AmericanCarcare and spent $200. Even with the new PorterCable in my future, $200 is a drop in the bucket compared to LAST year's detailing budget.

Thanks Bimmerfest Detailing forum and thanks F1!!!

Last edited by PropellerHead; 04-03-2004 at 11:47 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-04-2004, 03:49 AM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Pictures!!!!

Do you plan on following with additional coats of SG or planning on topping the SG with a carnauba?

I've always done my cars by hand, but if based on the number of people who swear by the PC, I might have to look into one...

Alex

My Flickr
TeamWTF?!

Old 04-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Pictures!!!!

Do you plan on following with additional coats of SG or planning on topping the SG with a carnauba?

I've always done my cars by hand, but if based on the number of people who swear by the PC, I might have to look into one...

Alex
As a matter of fact YES, I do want to do a couple more coats of SG between now and Bimmerfest. I have some P21s that I had been using on the wheels. F1 ran the carnuba idea by me and I MAY do that after 2 more coats of SG. It depends on a LOT of variables.. time and motivation will tell.

As for the PC, it was a dream to use. Of course, you have to be careful, but that's not so bad. I will get pics, today!
Old 04-04-2004, 08:41 AM
The Original Dr. Phil

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Phil
Mein Auto: 2012 135 coupe
I think F1 should road trip to my house to help share the magic

I am not a PC virgin but am always up for a learning experience Props to F1 for helping out a fellow festers
Old 04-04-2004, 11:08 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Let me just say that our day ended with one helluva ride. I think Propeller wanted to test if the car got faster after all the waxing (for obvious reasons I won't disclose the speeds at which we were traveling ).

BTW Prop, the car still needs some work on the interior, you know how to find me .
Old 04-16-2004, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
still waiting for pics!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeopener
still waiting for pics!
Oh- sorry ab that- I posted 'em a while ago in this thread. Enjoy!