Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i/6
Water leaking into car? E39 540i

Hey guys, just had a heavy rain and I noticed that the passenger side A-pillar liner was damp looking and there was a drop or two of water on the seat. Also the carpet is wet along the length of the door. Where is water leaking in from??? Anyone with any type of experience like this?
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 530i
If you search this forum for "wet rear floor" or "vapor barrier" you'll find a lot of useful info about this issue.

I don't know why you would have water dripping on your seats, but as far as the passenger floor, I would have to assume it is the vapor barrier not being sealed correctly. When I changed my passenger window regulator, I was having the same wet problem when we have heavy rain. (I live in Seattle, so it rains all the time)

Anyway, I searched under "vapor barrier", did the fix myself and since then, no more wet floor problems. Hope that helps.

2002 BMW 530i sports package.
Purchased 06/2010 with 85,288 miles
New M5 bumper 11/12/2010
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 I6
Vapor barriers would soak the floor but I don't think they'd hit the seat or A pillar.

Do you have a sunroof leak?

Look in the stickies for "water" and you may find similar.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
This is not a vapor seal problem.

I'm having the same problem. Started today. Weather has been miserable with continuous, hard rains today.

Photo 1 shows the exterior trim and molding. there is a small tear in the trim (inside the circle). Could this be causing the problem?

Photo 2 shows to top of the A-pillar on the driver side. The moisture started where the top of the A-pillar trim meets the headliner and quickly moved south. The seals on the doors look good and there doesn't appear to be a clear path for water to get here from the door. I assume (know what happens when you assume) that the water is coming in around the windshield somehow. Anybody else have this problem and find a solution? I am concerned since I would think that this area could hold a lot of water prior to showing on the exterior of the trim.

Also, can I easily remove this piece of trim to inspect what is behind?

Thanks!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	302220   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	302221  

Last edited by crazy4trains; 11-22-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Check your sunroof drain tubes. Just above where the A pillars meets the headliner there is a rubber tube that connects to the sunroof cassette. Chances are there is a leak around the tube.

Last edited by dvsgene; 12-02-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:16 PM

Sunroof was the second place I was going to check.

Now the hard question: How can I remove the trim to check the tube?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Sunroof was the second place I was going to check.

Now the hard question: How can I remove the trim to check the tube?
If you have the A Pillars Air bag ( HPS logo ) remove the HPS label hiding the T25 Torx screw underneath. Once the screw is removed, there is a clip the midway down the A Pillar holding it in place so pull the pillar outward towards the middle of the car.

The rest of the A pillar is inserted into the edge of the dash so once you remove the HPS plate covered screw and pulled the middle of the pillar away, pull away from the windshield to remove.

Last edited by dvsgene; 12-02-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I will do this and report back any findings.

Do I need to disconnect the battery? If so, just the negative terminal or both? I'm mechanically capable but will admit I am electrically stupid!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: E39 2003 530i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
If you have the A Pillars Air bag ( HPS logo ) remove the HPS label hiding the T25 Torx screw underneath. Once the screw is removed, there is a clip the midway down the A Pillar holding it in place so pull the pillar outward towards the middle of the car.

The rest of the A pillar is inserted into the edge of the dash so once you remove the HPS plate covered screw and pulled the middle of the pillar away, pull away from the windshield to remove.
What he said.
To find the approximate position of the clip, keep pushing on the trim cover inward, from top to the bottom. The spot with the clip won't "bend" inward easily. The clip holding the pillar is a metal bracket that goes on a top of a plastic support on the trim. Hard to explain and no pics available but try to pull the cover straight outward perpendicular to its plane. If the plastic support on the trim is broken, you wont be able to attach the metal bracket to it.

Also, when you put the pillar cover back, push the middle part gradually. The metal bracket doesn't have to go all the way into the slot. If it goes in too much, the middle part of the pillar cover will be pushed/bent inward too much. Just push it until the pillar is all flush and straight.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
im going with sunroof drain as well for this. my car has been doing this since the summer and after getting the entire car checked out, turns out to be the sunroof drain :-\. it only starts to leak in heavy rain for me so im sticking it out now with a car cover

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Hopefully will get time to check this out this weekend.

Does anybody know where the sunroof drain outlet is? Would also like to determine if it is clogged. Realoem shows an outlet hose but doesn't indicate where it goes.

Last edited by crazy4trains; 11-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Hopefully will get time to check this out this weekend.

Does anybody know where the sunroof drain outlet is? Would also like to determine if it is clogged. Realoem shows an outlet hose but doesn't indicate where it goes.
Outlet is located at the bottom of the car just inside the front jack point (on each side). Look around just inside that area and you will see a little rubber tube.

To test, open your sunroof, and slowly pour a cup of water at the front edge of the sunroof (you will see the drain hole at each corner) then look underneath for exit point.

Last edited by dvsgene; 11-24-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: '95 525i & '00 540i Wagon
My sunroof drains constantly plug on my E34 wagon and the simple fix is to occasionally blow them out with compressed air. If it's dry first add water before blowing them out so the water helps force any debris out.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i/6
Thank you all. I love this forum. I wanted to say that crazy4trains picture pretty much looks just like mine except like I said, there is water on the carpet along the door line. I will have to investigate this sunroof drain tube assembly. Will have to save for another day as it's Thanksgiving, and that is one thing I am not thankful for this year. lol.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 PM

Ok, so I got time to remove the trim and check this out. Poured some water at the location of the red oval in the exterior photo. When I poured a little water it drained out onto the floor without dripping inside. When I poured a lot in trying to overwhelm the drain I was able to recreate the dripping on the inside. From the inside the water appear to be coming from the area in the red circle in the interior photo.

Problem is, it appears the source of the leak is above the headliner and not within reach with just the side trim removed.

Does anybody know how I can access the area (red circle, interior photo) without removing the headliner? If I could get to this junction I might be able to fix this problem.

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	302488   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	302489  
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:

Does anybody know how I can access the area (red circle, interior photo) without removing the headliner? If I could get to this junction I might be able to fix this problem.

Thanks!!!
Unfortunately, unless you have extremely thin and highly flexible hands, that headliner MUST come off to access the drain tube connection to sunroof cassette.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 AM

Does the entire headliner have to come off? If so, how?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Does the entire headliner have to come off? If so, how?
deleted

Last edited by dvsgene; 12-02-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all the information. As of now, headliner removal is not an option. Car will have to stay in the garage when there is a threat of rain.

I am considering other options:

The first is trying to "slip-line" the drain tube with a piece of lightweight tubing. The drain inlet within the sunroof recess is somewhat obscured by other parts. Do you know if some of these parts can be loosened or partially/completely removed to allow access to the drain inlet? I may then be able to slide a length of tubing inside the existing drain without (hopefully) reducing the drain capacity significantly.

The other option is to better seal the sunroof to minimize water getting into this area. If I can do this, the drain may work well enough to not leak. The drain does work, it just gets overwhelmed with large volumes of water.

Any thoughts or ideas would be beneficial. If I try either, I will take some photos and report back.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:

Any thoughts or ideas would be beneficial. If I try either, I will take some photos and report back.
You can try to remove just the parts AT THE ONE CORNER. For example, go back to the link on the headliner removal and remove just the sunvisor screws, the roof handles above the doors and try to pull down the corner wedge something in to give just enough space to get your hand in between. However, there is a chance you may bend or crease the headliner.

Frankly, dropping the headliner is only about 20 mins with about 2 dozen torx screws and 1/2 dozen clips all around. It is not hard at all.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM

Had a few minutes this afternoon to tinker so I tried to partially remove the headliner. Removed the small screws from around the sunroof frame, the visor and vanity light and the grab handle above the door. I had already removed the a-pillar interior trim. There was a small black retainer under the visor clip (at the end opposite the visor hinge) that I could not remove after I removed the two torx screws and the visor clip. It actually appeared the headliner could be removed fairly easily, so I may go that route when i have more time.

A few (more) questions:

Will removing the headliner make it more susceptible to sagging? My take is that the headliner fabric is attached to a backer material. When the fabric separates from the backer, that is what causes the sagging. Is this correct?

What the heck do I do with the headliner if/when I remove it?

What will I likely be repairing/replacing in this drain system? Is there a junction box etc. with a part number or am I going to have to seal something or cobble something together?

Thanks again.