Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Nu Finish or Zaino

Looking for opinions from this crowd.

Used Zaino with great success but have to many commitments these days and it's hard to find to to clean the car. Owning three cars make it's tricky two. The MX-5 has only been hand washed with Turtlewax about six times since new 2.5 years ago! It and the BMW are getting the clay bar treatment within the next week or so. I just started looking for my next gig and normally and in an office withing two weeks for another 6-?18 months...

Am very close to using Nu Finish as it meant to last longer + it's easy to buy. I looked at the Zaino ordering page and thought 'oh cr4p, I need to figure out what products I need again'

Googling for over an hours says the issues with Nu Finish are:
. Mars rubbers plastics and very hard to remove the white marks
. Shine is not as good as Zaino etc

Pros:
. Really does last for a year
. Sold at WalMart


Either way I am doing my wheels with Nu Finish. Boy do BMWs shed brake dust
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
Kilgore Trout Kilgore Trout is offline
Chicks dig Wagons!
Location: Stuck in traffic south of Burbank
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,836
Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Looking for opinions from this crowd.

Used Zaino with great success but have to many commitments these days and it's hard to find to to clean the car. Owning three cars make it's tricky two. The MX-5 has only been hand washed with Turtlewax about six times since new 2.5 years ago! It and the BMW are getting the clay bar treatment within the next week or so. I just started looking for my next gig and normally and in an office withing two weeks for another 6-?18 months...

Am very close to using Nu Finish as it meant to last longer + it's easy to buy. I looked at the Zaino ordering page and thought 'oh cr4p, I need to figure out what products I need again'

Googling for over an hours says the issues with Nu Finish are:
. Mars rubbers plastics and very hard to remove the white marks
. Shine is not as good as Zaino etc

Pros:
. Really does last for a year
. Sold at WalMart


Either way I am doing my wheels with Nu Finish. Boy do BMWs shed brake dust
Zanio will look a lot better and last longer, and it won't stain trim. Its basically in an entirely different league than NuFinish (which, is not a very good product).

YOu don't have to go with Zanio though. There are tons of great sealant options at Autogeek.net, like Klasse, Wolfgang, etc that are on par with Zanio.

If you are going to use a store bought product, NuFinish would be very low on my list. I'd go with Megs NXT long before NuFinish.
__________________
2009 E91 Montego Blue w/ Gray Dakota 6AT ZPP/Logic7/Sirius/Idrive/Butt warmers/6FL/PCD/CA/6NL/Xenons
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is offline
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,053
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
if you're feeling adventurous, opti-coat 2.0

trying it out after i do my spring cleaning (and strip the Z i applied when i got my F30)

supposed to be super durable.
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is offline
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,467
Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
There are tons of great sealant options at Autogeek.net, like Klasse, Wolfgang, etc that are on par with Zanio.

If you are going to use a store bought product, NuFinish would be very low on my list. I'd go with Megs NXT long before NuFinish.
+1 to all three statements.

Blackfire Wet Diamond is another popular choice (and for good reason). I am happy with the results and it proved quite durable--still beading water like mad after six months, when I applied another coat "whether it needs it or not."
Attachment 327061
Attachment 327062
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff

   N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,738
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Looking for opinions from this crowd.
What Orient said. You want Opti Coat. Full price, consumer version, it's probably $80 for the syringe, you probably can get two cars worth maybe, you can ask the pros. You want this on your wheels. First super cleaned, super dried, supposed to shed brake dust better than anything else. It won't be the prettiest "wax" (really: coating) that you've ever seen, but it is permanent until mechanically abraded away.

A long lasting sealant, 1 yr or so, is HD Nitro, two steps, looks pretty, but I'm pretty sure you want the OC.

Quote:
Either way I am doing my wheels with Nu Finish. Boy do BMWs shed brake dust
It's not just NuFinish, but almost anything you use, it's not really worth the effort IMO. I'd rather just use the AA wheel protectant after every wash, so much easier. Your NF and/or many other things will get stripped pretty quickly once the wheels are truly cleaned again. Or .... try that OC...

Examples of both OC and Nitro, both from board sponsors... here is Phil from DD doing 10x OC, a current thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=687109

Hm can't find the thread I was looking for at BF, but this is the same guy as the HD rep/sponsor here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/3d-high...n-hd-poxy.html

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but it seems to me that you want it as long lasting as possible, locally available, and/or cheap. The OC wins on the first count, and loses on the second and third counts. You can find Nitro locally where I live, but pretty sure you can't where you are. Neither are cheap. You won't find anything cheap and local that will last as long as you want it to.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM
git_yo_own git_yo_own is offline
Registered User
Location: Califormia
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
I thought my car looked very shiny after using Nu Finish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Towelie Towelie is offline
Registered User
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: E90 335xi 6MT
Another option is Collinite 845, available at a number of auto parts stores. Not the greatest looking finish, but it's fairly inexpensive and very long lasting, upwards of 4-6 months and often used for winter protection. Just make sure to apply in a thin coat (true for most waxes / sealants, but for this in particular).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Super responses, thanks.

I just ordered NXT 2 from Amazon and will use the Nu Finish on wheels + one panels. Will check their beading in six months and one year.

Opti Coat looks to be exactly what I need but Googling showed too many people having issues with it + I am not 100% sure how to remove it when I finally find to time clay bar and use the random orbital etc. This time around I only plan to clay bar + polish out any significant scratches on the BMW (it's dark blue so they show, other cars are light grey). Rest of the cars will just get quick clay before sealant (we bought them new and their paint is not scratched from machine car washes/ bad detailers).


Quote:
Originally Posted by git_yo_own View Post
I thought my car looked very shiny after using Nu Finish.
It gets great reviews from everyone but total aficionados so is likely very good
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 04-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Ilovemycar Ilovemycar is offline
wooohooo
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,738
Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
I just ordered NXT 2 from Amazon and will use the Nu Finish on wheels + one panels. Will check their beading in six months and one year.
Eh, the NXT2 probably won't even make it 6 weeks, let alone 6 months. It does have a WHAM IN YOUR FACE gloss to it, but it is also known to be fleeting. I don't think it's as ephemeral as some people make it out to be, but it is hardly long lasting. I might consider cancelling your order. Also, because of the over-the-top gloss, the other panel might actually stick out quite a bit.

Collinite, the 845 mentioned is extremely popular. The 476S will last longer though, and it's still easy to use IMO, known to be much more forgiving on trim that some competition. It has a sort of a yellowish soft look about it, kinda, I don't think I like it on white. I like how it looks on blue. Very chemically smelling, very cheap for what it is, good for salty roads, a good budget choice for single coat. If willing to do two coats, it seems to be nearly unanimous (at least where I hang out) that Finish Kare 1000P lasts even longer, and looks even nicer, but less forgiving on trim. This is what I think I advise after reading your latest post.

Quote:
Opti Coat looks to be exactly what I need but Googling showed too many people having issues with it + I am not 100% sure how to remove it when I finally find to time clay bar and use the random orbital etc. This time around I only plan to clay bar + polish out any significant scratches on the BMW (it's dark blue so they show, other cars are light grey). Rest of the cars will just get quick clay before sealant (we bought them new and their paint is not scratched from machine car washes/ bad detailers).
Yes, OC is obviously more involved. It obviously must work, as the advice for removal given by pros is to start with (very safe, noobie-proof) sandpaper (!) before hitting it with super aggressive compound by machine, such as M105.

If you are willing to spend some time coming up with a variety of keyword searches, there are pro detailers who apply like +5 sealants on their hood or roof, and post photos as each month passes by. While not the greatest factor, I won't be surprised if some car soaps play more nicely with certain waxes. (I've heard ONR kills some certain brand of wax, but I always use the stuff it seems like, or certain soaps will destroy an otherwise perfectly fine clay bar for instance, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Eh, the NXT2 probably won't even make it 6 weeks, let alone 6 months. It does have a WHAM IN YOUR FACE gloss to it, but it is also known to be fleeting. I don't think it's as ephemeral as some people make it out to be, but it is hardly long lasting. I might consider cancelling your order. Also, because of the over-the-top gloss, the other panel might actually stick out quite a bit.

Collinite, the 845 mentioned is extremely popular. The 476S will last longer though, and it's still easy to use IMO, known to be much more forgiving on trim that some competition. It has a sort of a yellowish soft look about it, kinda, I don't think I like it on white. I like how it looks on blue. Very chemically smelling, very cheap for what it is, good for salty roads, a good budget choice for single coat. If willing to do two coats, it seems to be nearly unanimous (at least where I hang out) that Finish Kare 1000P lasts even longer, and looks even nicer, but less forgiving on trim. This is what I think I advise after reading your latest post.



Yes, OC is obviously more involved. It obviously must work, as the advice for removal given by pros is to start with (very safe, noobie-proof) sandpaper (!) before hitting it with super aggressive compound by machine, such as M105.

If you are willing to spend some time coming up with a variety of keyword searches, there are pro detailers who apply like +5 sealants on their hood or roof, and post photos as each month passes by. While not the greatest factor, I won't be surprised if some car soaps play more nicely with certain waxes. (I've heard ONR kills some certain brand of wax, but I always use the stuff it seems like, or certain soaps will destroy an otherwise perfectly fine clay bar for instance, etc.)
Hmm... Amazon let me cancel the order. Looks like more research is needed tomorrow..
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Bill97Z Bill97Z is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 835
Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
I've used both nufinish and Zaino. I use nufinish on older paint that needs sprucing up when I am too lazy to polish. It's a pretty aggressive one step and cleans well. It dusts bad though, and leaves white residue in cracks and stains on black trim. For newer cars, Zaino is my preference. I use z2 and then wash biweekly and use z6 spray on the whole car after every wash including lenses, windows, etc. The car comes out perfect every time.
__________________
2005 330i ZHP 6M (SOLD!) / 2006 X3 / 2007 328xi


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
ddeliber ddeliber is online now
Loving my d
Location: Boston Area
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 355
Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Super responses, thanks.

I just ordered NXT 2 from Amazon and will use the Nu Finish on wheels + one panels. Will check their beading in six months and one year.

Opti Coat looks to be exactly what I need but Googling showed too many people having issues with it + I am not 100% sure how to remove it when I finally find to time clay bar and use the random orbital etc. This time around I only plan to clay bar + polish out any significant scratches on the BMW (it's dark blue so they show, other cars are light grey). Rest of the cars will just get quick clay before sealant (we bought them new and their paint is not scratched from machine car washes/ bad detailers).



It gets great reviews from everyone but total aficionados so is likely very good
I looked into Opti-coat a few months ago and was planning on putting it on. When I looked, I didn't see many negatives. What issues did you read about? RE: removing, I thought that the whole point of Opti-coat was that it is a second clear coat that you don't remove. Why would you want to? From everything that I have read, you don't need to wax (but you can if you want "extra" shine) and you just clay bar and polish like normal.
Am I mistaken here?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
Kilgore Trout Kilgore Trout is offline
Chicks dig Wagons!
Location: Stuck in traffic south of Burbank
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,836
Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Hmm... Amazon let me cancel the order. Looks like more research is needed tomorrow..
NXT is not long lasting. 6 weeks is probably an exaggeration though.

BTW, Autogeek has a storefront on Amazon. If you order from there, you can get stuff that is a lot better than both NXT and NuFinish (like Klasse or Wolfgang)
__________________
2009 E91 Montego Blue w/ Gray Dakota 6AT ZPP/Logic7/Sirius/Idrive/Butt warmers/6FL/PCD/CA/6NL/Xenons

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 04-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
I use nufinish on older paint that needs sprucing up when I am too lazy to polish. It's a pretty aggressive one step and cleans well. It dusts bad though, and leaves white residue in cracks and stains on black trim. For newer cars, Zaino is my preference. I use z2 and then wash biweekly and use z6 spray on the whole car after every wash including lenses, windows, etc. The car comes out perfect every time.
Z2 + a drop of ZFX per small vial.. is that what'd I'd need? It's been a while but it's coming back. Zaino did a good job and still beaded a year on; think I'll order that again if someone can verify that's all I need. I have fresh clay + clay lubricant + a selection of polishes for any scratches I might find.

Don't desire a final stage that polishes... forgot that Nu Finish did that so it's ruled out. It's really coming back now.. Zaino was a dream to remove once it hazed over. Yup, am ordering Zaino again.
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
I looked into Opti-coat a few months ago and was planning on putting it on. When I looked, I didn't see many negatives. What issues did you read about? RE: removing, I thought that the whole point of Opti-coat was that it is a second clear coat that you don't remove. Why would you want to? From everything that I have read, you don't need to wax (but you can if you want "extra" shine) and you just clay bar and polish like normal.
Am I mistaken here?
The Amazon reviews were iffy and on Auto forums am pretty sure I kept seeing "if you apply it correctly" etc. Zaino was super easy so I'll use it again. I'll research Opti-coat prior to the next time.
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Bmr3sn Bmr3sn is offline
Registered User
Location: The Tuke, AZ
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: 06 330i MT Sport TiAg
Everything takes a beating here in Arizona when its 120 out. So far, klasse has been holding up really well. When other waxes and polishes break down in the heat, the acrylic seems to be standing the test of time. I hear good things about the 845 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
-=Hot|Ice=-'s Avatar
-=Hot|Ice=- -=Hot|Ice=- is offline
Re-Badged
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,824
Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I prefer Wolfgang. Zaino is tie for second with Megs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAudio
In the words of one of Bimmerfest's greatest minds:"Been there, done that"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Nordic_Kat's Avatar
Nordic_Kat Nordic_Kat is offline
Omnia moderata ratione
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,274
Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
I waver between Wolfgang and Wet Diamond.
Last weekend I did my detailing with P21S Paint cleaner/Blackfire Wet diamond/Dodo Wax White Diamond Hard wax

Water refuses to stick to my car. It's been raining ever since. The finish is amazing. I love Wolfgang sealant, but Blackfire Wet Diamond is really getting my vote.
__________________
If your sport doesn't put blood, dirt or grease under your fingernails,
then it's just a game.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-03-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: What the ** is rainining? That would be Bad Spell Checking.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 AM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Zaino ordered... looks like I just needed ZFX and Z2 + a few applicator pads. Once the car is clayed it's super easy to use
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms