Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Nu Finish or Zaino

Looking for opinions from this crowd.

Used Zaino with great success but have to many commitments these days and it's hard to find to to clean the car. Owning three cars make it's tricky two. The MX-5 has only been hand washed with Turtlewax about six times since new 2.5 years ago! It and the BMW are getting the clay bar treatment within the next week or so. I just started looking for my next gig and normally and in an office withing two weeks for another 6-?18 months...

Am very close to using Nu Finish as it meant to last longer + it's easy to buy. I looked at the Zaino ordering page and thought 'oh cr4p, I need to figure out what products I need again'

Googling for over an hours says the issues with Nu Finish are:
. Mars rubbers plastics and very hard to remove the white marks
. Shine is not as good as Zaino etc

Pros:
. Really does last for a year
. Sold at WalMart

Either way I am doing my wheels with Nu Finish. Boy do BMWs shed brake dust

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Ads by Google
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post

Used Zaino with great success but have to many commitments these days and it's hard to find to to clean the car. Owning three cars make it's tricky two. The MX-5 has only been hand washed with Turtlewax about six times since new 2.5 years ago! It and the BMW are getting the clay bar treatment within the next week or so. I just started looking for my next gig and normally and in an office withing two weeks for another 6-?18 months...

Am very close to using Nu Finish as it meant to last longer + it's easy to buy. I looked at the Zaino ordering page and thought 'oh cr4p, I need to figure out what products I need again'

Googling for over an hours says the issues with Nu Finish are:
. Mars rubbers plastics and very hard to remove the white marks
. Shine is not as good as Zaino etc

Pros:
. Really does last for a year
. Sold at WalMart

Zanio will look a lot better and last longer, and it won't stain trim. Its basically in an entirely different league than NuFinish (which, is not a very good product).

YOu don't have to go with Zanio though. There are tons of great sealant options at Autogeek.net, like Klasse, Wolfgang, etc that are on par with Zanio.

If you are going to use a store bought product, NuFinish would be very low on my list. I'd go with Megs NXT long before NuFinish.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
if you're feeling adventurous, opti-coat 2.0

trying it out after i do my spring cleaning (and strip the Z i applied when i got my F30)

supposed to be super durable.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
There are tons of great sealant options at Autogeek.net, like Klasse, Wolfgang, etc that are on par with Zanio.

If you are going to use a store bought product, NuFinish would be very low on my list. I'd go with Megs NXT long before NuFinish.
+1 to all three statements.

Blackfire Wet Diamond is another popular choice (and for good reason). I am happy with the results and it proved quite durable--still beading water like mad after six months, when I applied another coat "whether it needs it or not."
Attachment 327061
Attachment 327062

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
What Orient said. You want Opti Coat. Full price, consumer version, it's probably $80 for the syringe, you probably can get two cars worth maybe, you can ask the pros. You want this on your wheels. First super cleaned, super dried, supposed to shed brake dust better than anything else. It won't be the prettiest "wax" (really: coating) that you've ever seen, but it is permanent until mechanically abraded away.

A long lasting sealant, 1 yr or so, is HD Nitro, two steps, looks pretty, but I'm pretty sure you want the OC.

Quote:
It's not just NuFinish, but almost anything you use, it's not really worth the effort IMO. I'd rather just use the AA wheel protectant after every wash, so much easier. Your NF and/or many other things will get stripped pretty quickly once the wheels are truly cleaned again. Or .... try that OC...

Examples of both OC and Nitro, both from board sponsors... here is Phil from DD doing 10x OC, a current thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=687109

Hm can't find the thread I was looking for at BF, but this is the same guy as the HD rep/sponsor here:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/3d-high...n-hd-poxy.html

I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for, but it seems to me that you want it as long lasting as possible, locally available, and/or cheap. The OC wins on the first count, and loses on the second and third counts. You can find Nitro locally where I live, but pretty sure you can't where you are. Neither are cheap. You won't find anything cheap and local that will last as long as you want it to.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
I thought my car looked very shiny after using Nu Finish.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi 6MT
Another option is Collinite 845, available at a number of auto parts stores. Not the greatest looking finish, but it's fairly inexpensive and very long lasting, upwards of 4-6 months and often used for winter protection. Just make sure to apply in a thin coat (true for most waxes / sealants, but for this in particular).
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Super responses, thanks.

I just ordered NXT 2 from Amazon and will use the Nu Finish on wheels + one panels. Will check their beading in six months and one year.

Opti Coat looks to be exactly what I need but Googling showed too many people having issues with it + I am not 100% sure how to remove it when I finally find to time clay bar and use the random orbital etc. This time around I only plan to clay bar + polish out any significant scratches on the BMW (it's dark blue so they show, other cars are light grey). Rest of the cars will just get quick clay before sealant (we bought them new and their paint is not scratched from machine car washes/ bad detailers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by git_yo_own View Post
I thought my car looked very shiny after using Nu Finish.
It gets great reviews from everyone but total aficionados so is likely very good

Last edited by MP3_E46; 04-03-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
I just ordered NXT 2 from Amazon and will use the Nu Finish on wheels + one panels. Will check their beading in six months and one year.
Eh, the NXT2 probably won't even make it 6 weeks, let alone 6 months. It does have a WHAM IN YOUR FACE gloss to it, but it is also known to be fleeting. I don't think it's as ephemeral as some people make it out to be, but it is hardly long lasting. I might consider cancelling your order. Also, because of the over-the-top gloss, the other panel might actually stick out quite a bit.

Collinite, the 845 mentioned is extremely popular. The 476S will last longer though, and it's still easy to use IMO, known to be much more forgiving on trim that some competition. It has a sort of a yellowish soft look about it, kinda, I don't think I like it on white. I like how it looks on blue. Very chemically smelling, very cheap for what it is, good for salty roads, a good budget choice for single coat. If willing to do two coats, it seems to be nearly unanimous (at least where I hang out) that Finish Kare 1000P lasts even longer, and looks even nicer, but less forgiving on trim. This is what I think I advise after reading your latest post.

Quote:
Opti Coat looks to be exactly what I need but Googling showed too many people having issues with it + I am not 100% sure how to remove it when I finally find to time clay bar and use the random orbital etc. This time around I only plan to clay bar + polish out any significant scratches on the BMW (it's dark blue so they show, other cars are light grey). Rest of the cars will just get quick clay before sealant (we bought them new and their paint is not scratched from machine car washes/ bad detailers).
Yes, OC is obviously more involved. It obviously must work, as the advice for removal given by pros is to start with (very safe, noobie-proof) sandpaper (!) before hitting it with super aggressive compound by machine, such as M105.

If you are willing to spend some time coming up with a variety of keyword searches, there are pro detailers who apply like +5 sealants on their hood or roof, and post photos as each month passes by. While not the greatest factor, I won't be surprised if some car soaps play more nicely with certain waxes. (I've heard ONR kills some certain brand of wax, but I always use the stuff it seems like, or certain soaps will destroy an otherwise perfectly fine clay bar for instance, etc.)
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Eh, the NXT2 probably won't even make it 6 weeks, let alone 6 months. It does have a WHAM IN YOUR FACE gloss to it, but it is also known to be fleeting. I don't think it's as ephemeral as some people make it out to be, but it is hardly long lasting. I might consider cancelling your order. Also, because of the over-the-top gloss, the other panel might actually stick out quite a bit.

Collinite, the 845 mentioned is extremely popular. The 476S will last longer though, and it's still easy to use IMO, known to be much more forgiving on trim that some competition. It has a sort of a yellowish soft look about it, kinda, I don't think I like it on white. I like how it looks on blue. Very chemically smelling, very cheap for what it is, good for salty roads, a good budget choice for single coat. If willing to do two coats, it seems to be nearly unanimous (at least where I hang out) that Finish Kare 1000P lasts even longer, and looks even nicer, but less forgiving on trim. This is what I think I advise after reading your latest post.

Yes, OC is obviously more involved. It obviously must work, as the advice for removal given by pros is to start with (very safe, noobie-proof) sandpaper (!) before hitting it with super aggressive compound by machine, such as M105.

If you are willing to spend some time coming up with a variety of keyword searches, there are pro detailers who apply like +5 sealants on their hood or roof, and post photos as each month passes by. While not the greatest factor, I won't be surprised if some car soaps play more nicely with certain waxes. (I've heard ONR kills some certain brand of wax, but I always use the stuff it seems like, or certain soaps will destroy an otherwise perfectly fine clay bar for instance, etc.)
Hmm... Amazon let me cancel the order. Looks like more research is needed tomorrow..

Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
I've used both nufinish and Zaino. I use nufinish on older paint that needs sprucing up when I am too lazy to polish. It's a pretty aggressive one step and cleans well. It dusts bad though, and leaves white residue in cracks and stains on black trim. For newer cars, Zaino is my preference. I use z2 and then wash biweekly and use z6 spray on the whole car after every wash including lenses, windows, etc. The car comes out perfect every time.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Loving my d

Mein Auto: E350 & 2011 335d
Quote:
Super responses, thanks.

It gets great reviews from everyone but total aficionados so is likely very good
I looked into Opti-coat a few months ago and was planning on putting it on. When I looked, I didn't see many negatives. What issues did you read about? RE: removing, I thought that the whole point of Opti-coat was that it is a second clear coat that you don't remove. Why would you want to? From everything that I have read, you don't need to wax (but you can if you want "extra" shine) and you just clay bar and polish like normal.
Am I mistaken here?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Hmm... Amazon let me cancel the order. Looks like more research is needed tomorrow..
NXT is not long lasting. 6 weeks is probably an exaggeration though.

BTW, Autogeek has a storefront on Amazon. If you order from there, you can get stuff that is a lot better than both NXT and NuFinish (like Klasse or Wolfgang)

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; 04-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
I use nufinish on older paint that needs sprucing up when I am too lazy to polish. It's a pretty aggressive one step and cleans well. It dusts bad though, and leaves white residue in cracks and stains on black trim. For newer cars, Zaino is my preference. I use z2 and then wash biweekly and use z6 spray on the whole car after every wash including lenses, windows, etc. The car comes out perfect every time.
Z2 + a drop of ZFX per small vial.. is that what'd I'd need? It's been a while but it's coming back. Zaino did a good job and still beaded a year on; think I'll order that again if someone can verify that's all I need. I have fresh clay + clay lubricant + a selection of polishes for any scratches I might find.

Don't desire a final stage that polishes... forgot that Nu Finish did that so it's ruled out. It's really coming back now.. Zaino was a dream to remove once it hazed over. Yup, am ordering Zaino again.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeliber View Post
I looked into Opti-coat a few months ago and was planning on putting it on. When I looked, I didn't see many negatives. What issues did you read about? RE: removing, I thought that the whole point of Opti-coat was that it is a second clear coat that you don't remove. Why would you want to? From everything that I have read, you don't need to wax (but you can if you want "extra" shine) and you just clay bar and polish like normal.
Am I mistaken here?
The Amazon reviews were iffy and on Auto forums am pretty sure I kept seeing "if you apply it correctly" etc. Zaino was super easy so I'll use it again. I'll research Opti-coat prior to the next time.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 06 330i MT Sport TiAg
Everything takes a beating here in Arizona when its 120 out. So far, klasse has been holding up really well. When other waxes and polishes break down in the heat, the acrylic seems to be standing the test of time. I hear good things about the 845 as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I prefer Wolfgang. Zaino is tie for second with Megs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
I waver between Wolfgang and Wet Diamond.
Last weekend I did my detailing with P21S Paint cleaner/Blackfire Wet diamond/Dodo Wax White Diamond Hard wax

Water refuses to stick to my car. It's been raining ever since. The finish is amazing. I love Wolfgang sealant, but Blackfire Wet Diamond is really getting my vote.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793

Last edited by Nordic_Kat; 04-03-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: What the ** is rainining? That would be Bad Spell Checking.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Zaino ordered... looks like I just needed ZFX and Z2 + a few applicator pads. Once the car is clayed it's super easy to use