Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 04-26-2002, 11:03 AM
doh!!!

Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
First non-performance modifications to a 2002 325iT(very long)

The car:
2002 325iT
Steel Gray Metallic and black leatherette/Ti
Options:
Sport Package
Bi-Xenon

Mod 1:

My biggest complaint with the wagon is the brake lever, which is
good I guess since it is minor. It came with this cheap plastic one and for some reason it just bugged me. The plastic felt like it doesn't even belong in a Hyundai let alone a $30k plus car. My other car is a Audi A4 so I am sort of spoiled with a well built interior. Anyways I noticed that some 3 series come with a nice black leather one, not sure if it comes with the leather package
or the 3.0 liter engine.

The part number for the leather one I found on the net is 34 41 1 164 489, list price of $57.50.

I was lucky and found someone on the net who replaced his with a aftermarket one so I bought his used one at a good price. He told me it was glued on and he just wiggled it off. I got it in the mail and proceeded to install it.

Results:
I don't know how he wiggled it off because my plastic one wouldn't budge. I tried to be careful at the beginning but eventually got pissed and just brute forced it off with pliers. I basically destroyed it but I wasn't planning on reusing it anyways. At first I tried sliding on the leather handle to see how it fit and it got promptly stuck about half way on. I decided to force it the rest of the way on, BIG MISTAKE. The further I pushed on , the tougher it got to move. Eventually I had to put a sock over it and hammer it on. It probably took 20 minutes of slamming it with a hammer before I got it all the way on. Amazingly using the hammer on it did no visible damage and it looks/feels great.

Recommendation:
From installing grips on a mountain bike numerous time I would recommend using hairspray to install it. Just spray it on the brake lever and it should allow it to slide on easier.

Mod 2:

No front plate. On the wagon and sedan there is a black strip on the front that contains the license plate frame and can be replaced with a strip with no license plate frame. No front plate gives the car a nice clean look, IMHO. Seems very simple but the biggest problem was finding the part number. Since the front end of the sedan and wagon changed for 2002 there was a lot of confusion on what the proper part is. I was told 2 different part numbers:

51 11 8 195 304

// This was the 2001 and earlier part number, some people said this is the correct one. I had doubts since the front end changed. I talked to Circle and they stated that people had tried this part and it did not fit properly. So I didnt order it.

51 11 7 030 611

//This seemed to be the new part number for 2002. I guess the BMW parts program that dealer use show a picture of the euro-plate holder when you bring up this part number. So a lot of people assumed it was for that, even circle told me that. I called up Cutter motors and I think I talked to Dan. He assured me this was the correct part. I ordered it and it arrived a few days later, perfect fit and installation.

So

51 11 7 030 611

// CORRECT PART # FOR 2002 325iT AND WOULD GUESS SEDAN TOO. I looked at my coworkers 2002 330i w/sport and it looks the same.

51 11 8 195 304

// ORDER FOR 2002 AT YOUR OWN RISK FOR 2002 SEDAN/WAGON

Jeff
Ads by Google