Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-24-2011, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iTA
Water leak at back hatch of wagon

I'm getting a small drip onto the floor of my wagon compartment when it rains or I wash the car. A brief test shows it's coming from the window hatch, not the full door. It seems there is a plastic trim piece that is coming unglued from the metal hatch, just next to the hinges. See 1st picture. The small space allows water to run on the backside of it and overhang the foam water seal, dripping water into the back compartment.

How would I re-adhere that piece and stop the leak? It seems like there is some sort of black goo.

The same black goo seems to be failing on my side trim in the same compartment. See 2nd picture.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 024.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	302398   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw 025.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	302399  
Advertisement
Old 11-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
The leak is not coming from these plastic trim pieces. They are just trim but when they are removed for replacing the LED third brake light or some other service, the fastening tabs break off. Some shops, including the dealer, will 'refasten' the trim pieces using dumdum, hot glue or the like. These panels are cheap to buy at the dealer. The black stuff in your pics is what I'd call dumdum (polybutylene strips, aka butyl strips).

The water seal for the window is a rubber one on the tailgate (not the window) that runs completely around the window opening. Likewise the seal for the tailgate is a rubber one pressed onto the pinch weld on the car body that runs around the tailgate opening. I'd carefully inspect both these rubber seals. I'd expect the damage to be self explanatory.

FYI the trim panel in your first pic has tabs and strips of dumdum attached when it comes from the dealer.

Last edited by johnstern; 11-24-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iTA
The leak is not coming from the trim piece, but the out of place trim is allowing water to bypass the water seal when it drains between the roof and the tailgate. The top of the window seal abuts the bottom of the trim, so the water gets behind the trim and is channeled over the seal. I checked the seal for the window and tailgate and they are both fine.

Do they sell dumdum stand alone? It looks like I just need to re-adhere the trim so water doesn't get behind it.

Otherwise, it sounds like a new trim piece is the ticket, as it comes pre-installed with the dumdum to refasten the trim.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
3M makes the stuff-called butyl. An auto parts store with an auto body repair section should carry it in rope form in various diameters.